Anyone Use a 1 Hybrid?

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Last winter I bought an older Cobra Baffler 1-Hybrid. I had visions of straight wind fighting bullets dancing through my head.

Welp, that has not been the case. It’s never made it in my bag. I’ve hit it on the range and on a sim probably 200 times, most from a short tee, and what I would consider a successful shot has maybe happend 25% of the time (reasonably well struck and reasonably straight). I can go to the 2 hybrid in the same line and that goes up to 75-80% of the time.

Anyone ever have one in their bag? Or have any success hitting it? I hit an old school blade 1 iron more consistently.

I have a Nickent 4DX 2+ (15.5*) ironwood I picked up for a song when they were liquidating. I can hit it well off the tee, but I struggle to hit it off the deck consistently. Range sessions have shown that I am straighter with the 3H, and longer on average. I can't justify carrying it for the rare occasions it comes in handy, so I leave it at home. I still game the 20* version, which I adore, and I just added a 17* Maltby 2H at the end of last season. Whether it's the extra 1.5 degrees of loft or just a better design for my game, I hit the Maltby 2H much, much better.

I have a old Taylor Made TP Resue 14* that I keep trying to replace or leave out of the bag.

I have an old first gen Dynacraft Jackaroo 15° (similar to the original TM rescue). I cut it down to 6i length and slapped a bunch of lead tape on the head. It's still a very light swingweight (likely low C's or maybe even high B's), but it's useful sometimes. I haven't carried it for years, but my boy came across it a while back and took it to his HS practice. He said no one could get it in the air consistently. Me? I hit everything high so the last problem I have is getting it up in the air.

I have a Cleveland DST that I loved off the tee in AZ. Now though I don't think it is worth it since it is so easy to keep a driver/fw low.

I bought a Mashie 2 and loved it so much I bought a Mashie 1 sight unseen. I hit that thing very long and consistently, so much so that one year I played without any wood in my bag - 1/2/3/4 hybrids. In the sim league I was in, a guy came over to my bay and said he would buy the club from me if I ever wanted to sell it. The grips wore out and I had to regrip them. Had I known then what I know now about effective grip diameters and swingweights, I never would have used the grips I did, which played like jumbos on that fat C Kua shaft, and were much heavier than the lightweight OE grips. They became hook machines and I traded them in. Had I known, I would have kept them, regripped them, and might still be playing them.

I have an old first gen Dynacraft Jackaroo 15° (similar to the original TM rescue). I cut it down to 6i length and slapped a bunch of lead tape on the head. It's still a very light swingweight (likely low C's or maybe even high B's), but it's useful sometimes. I haven't carried it for years, but my boy came across it a while back and took it to his HS practice. He said no one could get it in the air consistently. Me? I hit everything high so the last problem I have is getting it up in the air.

I hit everything to the moon too, I only had dreams of low wind fighting bullets. It certainly wasn’t a reality. I play my primary driver at 5.5*, but only because I can’t get it any lower. I have a 3* long drive head that I can ballon.

If I wasn’t hooking it, I was slicing it. If I hit it straight I wasn’t making good contact. Throw on a couple more degrees of loft with the exact club in a 2H and I hit it reasonably well. I’ve never not figured out a club before. There’s been some that aren’t for me but I could at least figure them out. A 25% success rate at best didn’t exactly brimming with confidence.

The first time I hit it was on a sim. I imagined it to be a 260ish club for me. It took me probably 20 consecutive swings before I made senter contact and kept on the virtual range. Yeah it went about that far on that swing but I probably averaged less than 200 for the 20 swings.

It’s just a mystery to me. So I was mainly wondering if anyone had ever had any success with a 1H. Seems like some have so maybe I’ll have to check out another type. I love the idea of low wind fighting straight bullets, I just haven’t been able to achieve them yet. UDI type clubs are hit and miss for me. I’ve had better luck than with the 1H but haven’t ever found one that could stay in the bag. I can hit my 4i pretty long and accurate so on tight enough holes that I need to worry about it, I usually just end up hitting that. I can hit a low (for me) draw with it that I get plenty of distance with since most of those tight holes are pretty dang short. At least around here.

Thanks all for the replies!

I used to have an Adams 15* Idea Super Hybrid that I would play instead of a 3 wood from time to time when I was having troubles with the 3W off the deck. Distance was probably closer to a 5 wood but control was better than 3W, likely due to shaft length.

Now that I kind of know what I'm doing with a 3W and I'm suddenly struggling with my 5W, it's probably the only club I regret ever selling.

Back