Distance walked playing 18 holes of golf.

I just read an article about Augusta. They say the average tournament round is 9100+ yards walked, or about 5.2 miles.

You forgot the walk between holes starting with going to the 1st tee, then green to tee 17 times then finally from 18th green to the 19th hole.

regardless which tees we play we must consider the full length. A 7000 yarder is about 4 miles. But that's if following the contour of the layout walking the dog legs instead of cutting across the corners of them. So the straight line walking would take a nice chunk off that 4 miles. However a whole bunch of other thigs of course.

Distance from greens to next tees, walking back and forth and around greens, we often zigzag as we move through an entire hole. The more errant the player the more he walks (or zigzags) his way through the hole. I always estimated something between 5 to 6 miles was average. And from what many here who have actually paced it, that seems about right. But on my most spread out course and if playing more errant it can probably push 7, while on my least spread out and shortest course and if playing well then perhaps its under 5.

Related to this is calories burned per round. Several studies have been done and the results come in this range depending on how you travel the course.

Riding in cart: 400-700 calories per round
Push/Pull cart: 800-1,200 calories per round
Carry bag: 1,600-2,400 calories per round

Related to this is calories burned per round. Several studies have been done and the results come in this range depending on how you travel the course.

This is accurate when comparing to my Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distance walked playing 18 holes of golf.

This scientific study showed that the difference between carrying and pushing a cart was 3 calories over 9 holes for a 0.3% difference. I think it has a lot to do with the added resistance of the cart and bag when walking.

https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/201...fic-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a walker. Up until about a month ago I carried. My home course is very walkable with no crazy lengths between greens and tee boxes. But you are walking the full length of the course since most holes have all the tee boxes in front of you. The original 18 is easier to walk with less hills and shorter distances between greens and boxes (and a very long roundabout bridge for a forced carry on the last hole).

The biggest thing I notice between cart golf and walking, is the weather impacts me more. I still got a crazy amount of steps in, but at a certain point it's too warm to walk or too cold to ride.

If you are trying to lose weight with golf, walking helps a lot but dont worry about breaking your back carrying. You still are burning calories walking just dont eat back those calories.

For actual distance walked my GPS would usually say around 5 to 6 miles. Depends on how far into the woods I hit my tee shot.

Walked my local muni 18 holes Tuesday. According to my golf buddy watch, 6.34 miles and 13,200 steps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back