Distance walked playing 18 holes of golf.

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I was trying to determine roughly how far a walking golfer walks when he plays 18 holes of golf.
I started by using 6500 yds then multiplied by 3 = 19500 feet
Since there is 5280 feet in a mile, I then divided that into 19500 feet which = 3.7 miles
But since we don't walk in straight lines while playing golf plus the fact that we walk around on the greens quite a bit to line up putts, not to mention the walking a person does searching for lost balls, etc. I think it's reasonable to add an additional mile to the 3.7 miles which indicates to me that a golfer roughly walks 4.7 miles during a 18 hole round of golf.

Now whose the golf scientist Bryson?

I think my Garmin Approach had it around a 5 mile average back when I used to wear it and walk 18. It’s been awhile though so I could be off..

The way I strike the ball... 7-8 miles... EASY! lol

The course I walk most Wednesday's and some Saturday's is about 5.2 miles for everything; parking to parking lot.

I think that is a little on the low side. It all depends on where you are hitting the ball, design of the course, and movement around the green. I'd be comfortable saying 6500 yards would be much closer to 6+ miles. Then again, I'm young and always moving a lot around the greens and pulling flags, getting tee box distance and whatnot.

I keep my phone in my pocket to track steps and stairs and at my home course a typical round is 6.5 miles and 60 flights of stairs climbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds pretty close for my home course. There are others I won't walk because of having to cross streets or to far from green to tee box to make it worth the walk.

I walk over 150 rounds per year and track with Garmin S60. Courses I play range from 4 to 5 miles.

Between 5-6 miles for me!!

I bought a Garmin Approach S60 a few months ago. The way I use it doesn't count parking lot etc... as part of a stored activity, just starts where I hit first tee shot and ends on final green. I've been mostly walking two courses. Averaging 5.5 miles on one course and 6.8 on the other but if S60 included the long walk back to the car after 18th it would easily be over 7 miles.

My daughter measured how far we walked one time during an 18 hole round at my home course and it was pushing 7 miles.

Yeah, I'm with most here. Even if the tees you're playing are 6500 yards, if the tips are 6900+, then unless the green is adjacent, you're likely walking the full length of the course. Add in the way we play Army golf and it racks up the miles easily. 5+ miles would be more than believable for a normal round.

I'm using a pedometer and shag a few of my wife's errant balls and consistently get 3.1 per 9 holes so I'd guess 5.8 to 6 on a part 72 course.

You also have to consider that the yardage is just the course and it might not include going from the green to the next tee box and any additional yardage like that. Going from one side of the fairway or woods to the other, etc. lol

Based on my phone 6-7 miles walking. Even in cart with cart path restrictions it is over 3 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6.5 miles or so I’d say at my home course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mapmyfitness has me at about 4 miles.

I tracked it on my Apple Watch 3 last fall at my home course for five or six rounds and each round was between 6.1-6.5 miles. That does not include waking around the club or to and from the parking lot.

My home course is 6300 yards from the tips. I use the Apple Watch activity when I walk and it is always 6-7 miles for the whole loop.

I was trying to determine roughly how far a walking golfer walks when he plays 18 holes of golf.
I started by using 6500 yds then multiplied by 3 = 19500 feet
Since there is 5280 feet in a mile, I then divided that into 19500 feet which = 3.7 miles
But since we don't walk in straight lines while playing golf plus the fact that we walk around on the greens quite a bit to line up putts, not to mention the walking a person does searching for lost balls, etc. I think it's reasonable to add an additional mile to the 3.7 miles which indicates to me that a golfer roughly walks 4.7 miles during a 18 hole round of golf.

Now whose the golf scientist Bryson?

Distance between tees can add quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My course has three nines, so there are three combinations of 18 holes. Using the path feature on Google Earth, I calculated the approximate distance for each of the three 18-holes, providing I hit every fairway, and every green in regulation (which would never happen). The distances are 4.63 miles, 4.87 miles and 4.95 miles.

5-6 miles should be about the norm. Lord knows I spend enough time in the 6+ mile range due to wayward shots.

My home course is 6600 from the tips and is 6.6 miles. It winds trough a neighborhood so that is why it is longer. Some holes it is a decent hike between a green and tee box.

Actually walked 18 today for the first time in a few years today. I walked just under 5 miles. Courses that weave in and out throughout a neighborhood I've seen noticeable longer distances.

Back