Equipment Band Wagon

I hate all new products
Stupid car companies coming out with new models every year.
Stupid Apple with their fancy new iPhones.
Stupid restaurants with their constantly saying that the new menu items are delicious.
Damn apparel with their new designs, just stop it, I want khaki only.

stupid medicine helping us live longer.

stupid medicine helping us live longer.

making me live longer so I can drink more coffee, stay up later and sleep less while thinking about all that new equipment that I will eventually buy because when I have insomnia there is nothing better to do than online shop!

The all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.
12 Lucky THPers win a trip to CA to get fit for clubs, get them and then take on Callaway in the war to settle the score at one of the nicest courses most will ever see.

THP does a lot of events for its Albatross Club Members including free trips all the time.

How do you become an Albatross member JB?

New shiny and beautiful is something I’ve grown more accustomed to loving. It’s all about what allows me to potentially play my best. Whether the equipment is the reason, or the confidence I get from that new equipment that allows me to gain more ball speed, swing speed or whatever. If it helps my game color me intrigued every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done deal!

Thanks McLovin!

I love the idea of new and shiny, but I'm becoming a quick believer that if you'd like to (hopefully) permanently shave 5-7 strokes off your handicap, lessons from a qualified and competent instructor is the way to go. I wish I had figured this out sooner, as I've got 3 sets of irons, 3 drivers, 4 putters, and a ton of wedges collecting dust in my garage...

-Bishop

Sure the swing is what it takes BUT who doesn't like getting new stuff? Golf is fun and so is the equipment that goes with it!

I used to be an equipment junkie. I had it bad. I always had to have the latest gear, had a garage full of golf club boxes. I never had to change grips as I never had clubs long enough where the grips wore out. A little over two years ago I did a 180. It finally dawned on me that it wasn’t about the equipment, it was about the swing.

I have hit some of the new gear for fun and haven’t noticed any appreciable difference over what I currently have. The only change I made was I picked up a 12.5º driver last year as I couldn’t get my 9º driver up in the air like i used to.

I know people purchase new equipment for a lot of different reasons. I used to get excited when the new gear came out. Not so much anymore as I simply don’t see it making THAT much of a difference in performance.*

In any event, for me the swing is the thing. At some point I will have to get new gear as I play approximately 200 rounds a year and practice quite a bit, but until that time comes, I will stick with what I have.

And no, I am not trying to be a curmudgeon. :)

*unless the equipment it replaces is old, or is ill-fitted.

Man, I can relate! I bought and sold way too much and it seriously screwed up my game last year. I'm hoping to keep it simple this year. I have 16 clubs as part of the rotation, pick 14 on a given day based off what I need.

Dave

I'm not buying anything for a while, I have enough OOOH SHINY NEW SWAG PUTTER

I love the game of golf.
I love getting new apparel that fits different and wears different, especially in the elements.
I love the crazy tech stories from companies that work different ways despite being limited in certain things.
I love the creativity in both design and marketing.

There's nothing about it that forces me to put a lock on anything i have in the bag and that's half the fun. The swing will never be conquered so I am just going to enjoy the ride.

I'm confused by the thread. Is it a topic or just a statement about yourself?

Just a statement. I am not trying to tell anyone what they should do. Just what I observed as it concerns me.

I just made some observations as they pertain to me. Love some of the mean spirited and sarcastic comments. Keep up the good work THP.

I just made some observations as they pertain to me. Love some of the mean spirited and sarcastic comments. Keep up the good work THP.

There's no need for that, man. Use the report feature if something bothers you. It'll get sorted out.

I love the game of golf.
I love getting new apparel that fits different and wears different, especially in the elements.
I love the crazy tech stories from companies that work different ways despite being limited in certain things.
I love the creativity in both design and marketing.

There's nothing about it that forces me to put a lock on anything i have in the bag and that's half the fun. The swing will never be conquered so I am just going to enjoy the ride.

Yes. This ^

There is no need for what precipitated my comment.

Mr Sean, my internet golfing friend. Hope all is well in your life. You once gave me some very wise advice if you can see where I’m going... :)

To the thread, it is a tiny bit puzzling. You know I like the new and shiny, but usually end back up with the tried and true. I get where you are coming from and there is good logic to it. I played the best golf of my life with equipment that I kept for 20 years. I changed my swing some and that equipment no longer fit so I’ve been on a quest ever since. I should just bite the bullet and do a full fitting at club champion or similar and get what fits me now, then stick with until I wear it out or there are significant advances that warrant change. But I enjoy the new and shiny aspect too. The actual golf is only part of my enjoyment of the sport.

The equipment you play was professionally fit to you in a similar manner as some of the contest winners around here. So unless you’ve significantly changed since then (driver going from 9 to 12.5 is a great example) the gear you play hasn’t been improved on enough for you to change, which is probably correct. For you at least sir:)

There was more piling on here than a typical THP discussion, I read most of it as being said in jest, but I could see how it’s read the other way. At least no ones getting the ban hammer for it, lol-hopefully:)

Mr Sean, my internet golfing friend. Hope all is well in your life. You once gave me some very wise advice if you can see where I’m going... :)

To the thread, it is a tiny bit puzzling. You know I like the new and shiny, but usually end back up with the tried and true. I get where you are coming from and there is good logic to it. I played the best golf of my life with equipment that I kept for 20 years. I changed my swing some and that equipment no longer fit so I’ve been on a quest ever since. I should just bite the bullet and do a full fitting at club champion or similar and get what fits me now, then stick with until I wear it out or there are significant advances that warrant change. But I enjoy the new and shiny aspect too. The actual golf is only part of my enjoyment of the sport.

The equipment you play was professionally fit to you in a similar manner as some of the contest winners around here. So unless you’ve significantly changed since then (driver going from 9 to 12.5 is a great example) the gear you play hasn’t been improved on enough for you to change, which is probably correct. For you at least sir:)

There was more piling on here than a typical THP discussion, I read most of it as being said in jest, but I could see how it’s read the other way. At least no ones getting the ban hammer for it, lol-hopefully:)

Haha! Thanks Smiter!

Yeah, I didn't quite get the piling on. I expect that from another website that shall remain nameless, but not here.

In any case, it was just my take on it. Some actually conflated a variety of new non golf related products to what i said, even new medications, if you can believe that. But nowadays, people seem so easily offended.

I think it’s cool we all enjoy the game our own way. Glad you’ve found a focus that works well for you. Gotta admit, I like testing new things and hearing equipment stories from the manufacturers. It’s all part of the fun for me.

Hopeful we’ll meet up for a round in sometime Sean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im much the same now. I used to always want to have the latest and greatest clubs but now Im just kind of meh about new gear. Now, I play budget clubs and am much happier, not to mention my wallet is a bit fatter.

I’m midway on this issue. If you were professionally fit and clubs built for you in the last 3-5 years, you probably won’t gain much by upgrading.

My first round back after a long hiatus, I used a Dunlop Goliath 400cc driver with a stock stiff Aldilia shaft. I’d owned it for 8years or so at that point. The difference between it and today’s tech isn’t huge. On a sim I’m 10-15 yards behind (carry) what the latest and greatest brings. This with a stock S-flex, when I’m pretty firmly in the X-flex catagory. It balloons quite a bit more, but I also hit my only ever HIO with it, on a par 4 to boot.

It’s beat to hell and never was near premium. It has a wildly inappropriate shaft in it and it’s only 15 yards behind today’s tech. Center strike of course. Where today’s stuff shines is in forgiveness, if you get a club that is geared that way. My R15 430 isn’t much more forgiving if any. What it does do is allow me to get the loft down to a good level for me, opens the face some, and has an appropriate shaft for my swing in it. All that gives me a chance for the best result if I do my part. There’s only so much you’re getting out of a Dunlop Goliath.

Center strikes with anything in the past five years is going to be pretty comparable. Hey, that’s what we all live for anyways. Forgiveness goes way up with the last 2-3 release cycles. What once was a 230 yard slice is now 255 down the right side. What once was a 190 yard duck hook OB is now 235 and playable. What once was a center strike that went 300 down the middle is still 300 yards down the middle. This is my experience at least.

I’m midway on this issue. If you were professionally fit and clubs built for you in the last 3-5 years, you probably won’t gain much by upgrading.

My first round back after a long hiatus, I used a Dunlop Goliath 400cc driver with a stock stiff Aldilia shaft. I’d owned it for 8years or so at that point. The difference between it and today’s tech isn’t huge. On a sim I’m 10-15 yards behind (carry) what the latest and greatest brings. This with a stock S-flex, when I’m pretty firmly in the X-flex catagory. It balloons quite a bit more, but I also hit my only ever HIO with it, on a par 4 to boot.

It’s beat to hell and never was near premium. It has a wildly inappropriate shaft in it and it’s only 15 yards behind today’s tech. Center strike of course. Where today’s stuff shines is in forgiveness, if you get a club that is geared that way. My R15 430 isn’t much more forgiving if any. What it does do is allow me to get the loft down to a good level for me, opens the face some, and has an appropriate shaft for my swing in it. All that gives me a chance for the best result if I do my part. There’s only so much you’re getting out of a Dunlop Goliath.

Center strikes with anything in the past five years is going to be pretty comparable. Hey, that’s what we all live for anyways. Forgiveness goes way up with the last 2-3 release cycles. What once was a 230 yard slice is now 255 down the right side. What once was a 190 yard duck hook OB is now 235 and playable. What once was a center strike that went 300 down the middle is still 300 yards down the middle. This is my experience at least.

Something's seriously wrong with my center strikes then! :)

Dave

Something's seriously wrong with my center strikes then! :)

Dave

Lol! I’m both fortunate and cursed with a high swing speed. When I connect, ball go far.... when I don’t, ball go two fairways over... at 20 I competed in long drive. At 40, I still swing hard but that’s dwindling and the rest of my game isn’t up to salvaging it. I’ve been toying around with a normal swing. Results so far are discouraging. I think I’m going to embrace what I have and try to salvage the distance as long as it remains an option.

For me its I've found a bag that I am really really comfortable with and don't want to change it because any changes will mean a full bag swap

Back