Equipment Band Wagon

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I used to be an equipment junkie. I had it bad. I always had to have the latest gear, had a garage full of golf club boxes. I never had to change grips as I never had clubs long enough where the grips wore out. A little over two years ago I did a 180. It finally dawned on me that it wasn’t about the equipment, it was about the swing.

I have hit some of the new gear for fun and haven’t noticed any appreciable difference over what I currently have. The only change I made was I picked up a 12.5º driver last year as I couldn’t get my 9º driver up in the air like i used to.

I know people purchase new equipment for a lot of different reasons. I used to get excited when the new gear came out. Not so much anymore as I simply don’t see it making THAT much of a difference in performance.*

In any event, for me the swing is the thing. At some point I will have to get new gear as I play approximately 200 rounds a year and practice quite a bit, but until that time comes, I will stick with what I have.

And no, I am not trying to be a curmudgeon. :)

*unless the equipment it replaces is old, or is ill-fitted.

Um, uh, congrats?

I like new and shiny. :D

New stuff is fun and life is short!!

I’m slowing turning into your camp but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going to buy a bunch of shiny things.

I’m just committed to playing what works best.

I used to be an equipment junkie. I had it bad. I always had to have the latest gear, had a garage full of golf club boxes. I never had to change grips as I never had clubs long enough where the grips wore out. A little over two years ago I did a 180. It finally dawned on me that it wasn’t about the equipment, it was about the swing.

I have hit some of the new gear for fun and haven’t noticed any appreciable difference over what I currently have. The only change I made was I picked up a 12.5º driver last year as I couldn’t get my 9º driver up in the air like i used to.

I know people purchase new equipment for a lot of different reasons. I used to get excited when the new gear came out. Not so much anymore as I simply don’t see it making THAT much of a difference in performance.*

In any event, for me the swing is the thing. At some point I will have to get new gear as I play approximately 200 rounds a year and practice quite a bit, but until that time comes, I will stick with what I have.

And no, I am not trying to be a curmudgeon. :)

*unless the equipment it replaces is old, or is ill-fitted.

The swing has always been the most important thing. Isn't that obvious?

I agree with you in theory, but in practice I'm a sucker for bright, shiny new toys that will take 15 strokes off of my handicap!! :laughing:

I'm confused by the thread. Is it a topic or just a statement about yourself?

I’m still on the bandwagon...maybe one day I’ll get over it. The main points of contention are driver and putter, I just love to tinker with those 2 spots.

I'm glad we each get to enjoy the game in our own way, as we see best fit for our individual situations.

I like reading about all the updates but I don’t switch out my whole bag every year. Usually it’s an item or two.

I'm glad we each get to enjoy the game in our own way, as we see best fit for our individual situations.

For example, I like hitting $3 golf balls into the water, while tpluff likes hitting his 3 wood really, really far!

I am a believer in technology, especially improvements that make the game easier for me, such as spin controlling golf balls, or more forgiving irons or drivers. I'm less concerns about adding 5 yards to my shot.

Interesting threads today :bulgy-eyes:

I get the itch to buy all the time but only scratch that itch every couple of years.

I get the itch to buy all the time but only scratch that itch every couple of years.

if getting into the grandaddy is a way to scratch the itch, brb i gotta start growing my nails

The swing is absolutely the thing. I think there is also something to be said for getting to know your clubs over time, which can increase confidence in regard to knowing your yardages, what misses you can get away with, how to handle tricky lies, etc. Hard to do with new sticks every 6-12 months.

I also believe that new toys are fun and new tech advances, while not necessary every year, pay dividends.

I'm just jealous of the 200 rounds per year. I'd kill to be able to play that many rounds in five years.

I am going to do my best to stick with my setup that I'm playing now for the entire year. I might change a shaft, but I don't see any changes other than that.

I'm just jealous of the 200 rounds per year. I'd kill to be able to play that many rounds in five years.

I'm with you. I can get in 60-70 rounds, but 200 is a pipe dream.

if getting into the grandaddy is a way to scratch the itch, brb i gotta start growing my nails

What is this "Grandaddy" that you speak of?

What is this "Grandaddy" that you speak of?

The all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.
12 Lucky THPers win a trip to CA to get fit for clubs, get them and then take on Callaway in the war to settle the score at one of the nicest courses most will ever see.

THP does a lot of events for its Albatross Club Members including free trips all the time.

Nice to see you over here Sean.

So I’m a believer in fixing any major swing flaws and not chasing new equipment.
Then I hit the F9 series and pretty much shot that theory down.
Although the F9 series was a major difference for me in distance and forgiveness over my F7 and C200’s.

I hate all new products
Stupid car companies coming out with new models every year.
Stupid Apple with their fancy new iPhones.
Stupid restaurants with their constantly saying that the new menu items are delicious.
Damn apparel with their new designs, just stop it, I want khaki only.

I hate all new products
Stupid car companies coming out with new models every year.
Stupid Apple with their fancy new iPhones.
Stupid restaurants with their constantly saying that the new menu items are delicious.
Damn apparel with their new designs, just stop it, I want khaki only.

Maybe companies need an S model like Taylormade did with R11, you know take a page out of apple's playbook haha

Back