Wedge Swing Speed

Pstmstr

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m 63 and 12 handicapper with a tall thin build. My swing speed with a pitching Wedge is about 64 mph and I hit it about 80-85 yards carry. Curious how that compares to some of you other guys. I’m in a new set of Ping G410’s and the fitter put me in a senior shaft for the first time. They seem to be hitting shorter than the G2’s with stiff shafts I did have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure of my swing speed with the PW, but my 45° wedge gets me about 115-120 on flat ground with no helping wind into a semi-receptive green (i.e. no so soft it plugs and not so hard it bounces off the green even after a well struck shot).

I’m 63 and 12 handicapper with a tall thin build. My swing speed with a pitching Wedge is about 64 mph and I hit it about 80-85 yards carry. Curious how that compares to some of you other guys. I’m in a new set of Ping G410’s and the fitter put me in a senior shaft for the first time. They seem to be hitting shorter than the G2’s with stiff shafts I did have.

I honestly couldn't tell you what my swing speed is with a pw. All I've ever looked at with the lower irons is carry distance and spin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did you try it on a launch monitor? Just blindly putting those shafts in before testing is not a good idea. Many people with big swings do better with less flex and many people with slow swings do better with stiffer shafts. The old assumptions just dont hold true and we have launch monitors to prove it.

Wedge Swing Speed

Did you try it on a launch monitor? Just blindly putting those shafts in before testing is not a good idea. Many people with big swings do better with less flex and many people with slow swings do better with stiffer shafts. The old assumptions just dont hold true and we have launch monitors to prove it.

Yes, he used a launch monitor and has over 25 years of fitting experience, Golf Digest Top 100 etc. Curious to see what others with similar age and ability are seeing if anyone has the info.

Last edited:
Yes, he used a launch monitor and has over 25 years of fitting experience, Golf Digest Top 100 etc. Curious to see what others with similar age and ability are seeing if anyone has the info.

My brother is pretty close to your age. He's 61, 5'11" and weighs about 170. He works out 4 days a week and is the same weight he was when he graduated highschool. His normal carry distance with his PW is 125-130, and he uses stiff shafts. His index is 8.someting I believe.

@Pstmstr, are you shorter through the bag than before or just the wedge(s)?

I am 54 and hit my 46* PW about 125 - 130. No idea what the SS is. I'm 5'8", weigh 150 and play stiff graphite shafts.

@Pstmstr, are you shorter through the bag than before or just the wedge(s)?

Feels like it but I’m going to do some range work tomorrow to verify.

I hit over 100 GW/PW today on the launch monitor and I averaged about 79-80 mph. I hit my 47* wedge 130 yards. My PW has a DGX100 shaft and my 3 other wedges have DGS400.

I am 63, 6’, 160. Play to a similar handicap. My driver SS is 86. My 45* PW 110-115 summertime. I play regular flex shafts. Have been going to the gym four days a week now for three months. Hopefully those numbers will go up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CF16 45* PW, 122 yard carry, 74MPH SS from Trackman numbers recently.

I am 64 and hit my PW w/stiff shaft about 125 - 130. At my wedge fitting my numbers for the 58° wedge were, 66.6 SS with 81 yards of carry.

I’m 54, 6’4” 230 and hit my 45 PW comfortably 135 in the summer. I hit my 50 120 and 54 105. I’m not really sure of my SS with those clubs. I play DG S300s.

I'm the same age as you and a similar handicap. I can only wish I was tall and thin though, (5/11 -215). I'm not (never was) a long hitter but 80-85 seems short for a PW. I don't know my PW swing speed but my stock smooth swing carries about 115, give or take. Matrix Red Tie 65Q4 graphite in my PW, R-flex. What is your driver speed/distance? How much longer was your stiff shafted PW?

I'm the same age as you and a similar handicap. I can only wish I was tall and thin though, (5/11 -215). I'm not (never was) a long hitter but 80-85 seems short for a PW. I don't know my PW swing speed but my stock smooth swing carries about 115, give or take. Matrix Red Tie 65Q4 graphite in my PW, R-flex. What is your driver speed/distance? How much longer was your stiff shafted PW?

Haven’t measured driver yet. I’m going to go thru the whole bag tomorrow and try to get a better idea of these irons compared to my old ones. I’ve lost about 10-15 yards oajYQokTlc8GGpmuhuYBPtXaBjjc6uZSDkgY.

Haven’t measured driver yet. I’m going to go thru the whole bag tomorrow and try to get a better idea of these irons compared to my old ones. I’ve lost about 10-15 yards oajYQokTlc8GGpmuhuYBPtXaBjjc6uZSDkgY.

It had to be the shafts because those heads are strong lofts especially if your older set is longer with stiffer shafts

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm 51, 5' 8" presently 195 lbs.

No idea about SS but my 45° PW is my 140 club.

There's definitely something going on that you need to figure out then. We can't be giving up 10-15 yards at our age. I'm not that experienced in this stuff but I see some smart THPers are weighing in to help so hopefully you can get it all sorted out soon.
FWIW I went to some new wedges last year, my first graphite wedges. I was so excited to get them out and gap them. When the first few swings weren't giving me what I expected I think I tensed up and started manipulating things. They felt lighter and I was second guessing my choice. Awful the first couple sessions and then right at the end of the second one I just had a couple crappy no dimple balls left I'd been avoiding. Put a couple I don't care cuts on them and saw exactly what I was hoping for. I've absolutely loved those wedges ever since.

Last edited:

I am 63, tall and thin. Don't know my PW SS, but hit it around 115 or so.

On another note, I was doing some research, and the average club head speed with driver in our age range is 80 - 95 mph.

Swing speed doesn't matter with wedges for me as it depends on the shot required. Seldom is distance the goal.

I was not trying to sound demeaning it just seems for a 61 year old my number 1 concern as a fitter would be distance maximization. Your probably plenty consistant so as a fitter I would make sure nothing I did caused distance loss and try to get you distance gains if I could.

Swing speed doesn't matter with wedges for me as it depends on the shot required. Seldom is distance the goal.

This is a good point. It's not often I take a full swing with a wedge.

I was not trying to sound demeaning it just seems for a 61 year old my number 1 concern as a fitter would be distance maximization. Your probably plenty consistant so as a fitter I would make sure nothing I did caused distance loss and try to get you distance gains if I could.

I agree. It’s pretty frustrating so far. Hopefully we can get it figured out.

That seems really short for that swing speed. My SS on my PW is high 60’s and I carry my PW average of 120 to 125

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back