Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

I'd love to see a head to head comparison between the mini 1.5 and the AeroBurner TP mini.

I'd also like to see the two of them against a 12º Titleist Howitzer from the 1980s.

I believe JMan did just that when he was testing.

I believe JMan did just that when he was testing.

Yeppers, talked about it a bit in this thread.

Footprints are definitely different, and the sounds are worlds apart, but performance wise I preferred the 1.5 as it actually offered me a better overall ball-flight (launch) and options (Opti-Fit) as well as just being more versatile overall (I can hit this one off the deck much more consistently).

I'm adding one someday.

I'm adding one someday.

You need one. If I hadn't traded mine to hawk recently I would have sent it to you in a second.

I'll be demoing this club tomorrow for the third time. I want it to replace my R11s. I also hit the Aeroburner and like Jman says, they are worlds apart, especially the sound and how much more solid the 1.5 feels. I'll ask the Callaway rep if there is a 2016 replacement on the horizon.

UPDATE
Review can be found here.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-bertha-mini-1-5-driver-review/

In for review is a club that has without a doubt garnered more chatter and anticipation on the forums that we have seen in a while, Callaway's official foray into the Mini-Driver section of the market, the Bertha Mini 1.5.

Bigger in cc than any of the "Deep" offerings we have seen from the X-line of metal-woods, this one sat behind the ball definitely screams something other than "fairway wood". The benefit to all this size is that it has allowed Callaway to increase the overall MOI of the design but also for the first time combine their fairway wood technology with a lot of their driver tech as well. An interesting twist is the use of the Warbird sole on the head, and Callaway has said this really helps it be an off the deck option for better players despite the massive depth of the head, something this reviewer will be putting to the test during review.

Plus, the 1.5 features full OptiFit adjustability from decreasing loft 1-degree, increasing it up to 2-degrees, and also Draw and Neutral options. Again there has been much talk from Callaway about how this will allow the club to truly be tuned to the player as a driver replacement, driver supplement, or simply as a 3-wood with deck and tee abilities.

For review, THP got the 14-degree version with the Kuro Kage 60 TiNi shaft setup.

Information on the Big Bertha Mini 1.5 from Callaway:

More MOI Than Our Typical 3-Wood
  • Off the tee, it’s a better option for players than our typical 3-wood. It has higher MOI from a 235cc head that’s 35% larger than XR, and a shape that gives you confidence over the ball.
  • It has high ball speed from a Forged Hyper Speed Face Cup, a Forged Composite crown, and the cambered Warbird Sole makes it easy to hit. You’re getting all the best features of a driver in the framework of a larger fairway wood.
Long Off The Fairway For Better Players
  • If you have a high swing speed, you can play this off the fairway for high speed and amazing distance. You know that long Par-5 you’ve been trying to reach in two? You might be able to get home now.
Adjustability To Fit Your Shot Selection
  • Depending on how you want to play it, the Bertha Mini 1.5 can be a replacement driver, a longer option off the tee than a 3-wood, or a club that’s playable off the fairway. That’s why we’ve put in an OptiFit Hosel to tune it to your settings. Choose from 8 different combinations for your loft (-1, S, +1, +2) and lie angle (Draw or Neutral) configurations.

Specifications:

CLUBLOFTDEXTERITYLENGTHSWING WEIGHT
12°AdjustableRH/LH44"D3
14°AdjustableRH/LH44"D3

MODELFLEXWEIGHTKICK POINTTORQUE
Mitsubishi Kuro KageL,R,S,X63g-69gMid (X=Mid-High)Mid (X=Low)
Fujikura Speeder 565L,R,S,X56g-58gMidMid

In-Hand Images:

DSC_1083-XL.jpg

DSC_1078-XL.jpg

DSC_1085-XL.jpg

DSC_1076-XL.jpg

DSC_1086-XL.jpg

DSC_1087-XL.jpg

DSC_1088-XL.jpg

DSC_1090-XL.jpg

DSC_1091-XL.jpg

DSC_1094-XL.jpg

DSC_1098-XL.jpg

DSC_1071-XL.jpg

DSC_1072-XL.jpg

DSC_1074-XL.jpg

DSC_1075-XL.jpg

DSC_1079-XL.jpg

That is one beast of a club.. Just got done hitting it.. In a word. Speechless!

I suspect mine will get some serious work on those fairways

I witnessed this firsthand. You are lethal with the Mini.

Mine came in the other day. Got it out for a short session on the range and had mixed results but I think that was more a result of going to the range on my lunch break. It will be interesting to see how it fits in the bag at 12*. There was no way of me measuring how far it was going, but I am curious to see how it stacks up distance-wise to my driver. I think with more time the Mini could be a weapon for me.

I got the 14° mini and took it out yesterday...I freaking love it!

I still have not found the spot in my bag where this club really fits in. Just does not seem to cover a yardage gap that I need at the high end of my bag.

Having said that, I have to get this club back out, see how I hit it off the fairway.

I still have not found the spot in my bag where this club really fits in. Just does not seem to cover a yardage gap that I need at the high end of my bag.

Having said that, I have to get this club back out, see how I hit it off the fairway.

I agree with you 100%. Bought mine on CPO thinking the it would kick out my TM SLDR Mini and it can't. Was thinking of dialing it down to a 14* and use as 3+ wood and leave the TM in. The bigger head on TM works better for me.

After watching Cookie hit his at the Kickoff Classic, this club is certainly a ponder. Thinking I would lean more towards the 14° model.

This club has always intrigued me and I can see one ending up in my bag sometime this year. For me, it would be a driver replacement until I get more consistent with my driver. I'd probably go with the 12* and try to squeeze out another 10-15 yards out from my 3W.

I witnessed this firsthand. You are lethal with the Mini.

Mine came in the other day. Got it out for a short session on the range and had mixed results but I think that was more a result of going to the range on my lunch break. It will be interesting to see how it fits in the bag at 12*. There was no way of me measuring how far it was going, but I am curious to see how it stacks up distance-wise to my driver. I think with more time the Mini could be a weapon for me.

Play with the loft, I lifted up and see no distance loss. In fact it's more than likely longer at the 14 I have it set at.

Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

I have a GBB and a Mini in the bag since September. I am fairly accurate with the GBB but use it on more open fairways.

I hit the Mini nearly as long as my driver except on some bombs and can't really aim and shoot with it. This is great for tight fairways and really helps when I want to cut the corner on a dogleg.

Also it launches lower than my driver since the tee height is lower. So it can be a stinger on windy days and gets great roll on links courses.

I also use it on the first couple of holes if the course doesn't have a practice range. Nice club to get warmed up with.
It's a keeper for me.

Play with the loft, I lifted up and see no distance loss. In fact it's more than likely longer at the 14 I have it set at.

Good idea. I'm usually not someone that messes with the adjustability on clubs, but that's just because I'm lazy. Went to the range again for a short session and hit it better overall. On bad swings it I was definitely getting punished on the mishits, but I think part of that is figuring out how high I need to tee it up and the swing not being in form quite yet.

Good idea. I'm usually not someone that messes with the adjustability on clubs, but that's just because I'm lazy. Went to the range again for a short session and hit it better overall. On bad swings it I was definitely getting punished on the mishits, but I think part of that is figuring out how high I need to tee it up and the swing not being in form quite yet.

Give it time. It will be a great friend in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to tee it low like a 3W. Recently I started teeing it so that half the ball is above the crown. This, combined with really my work on a positive angle of attack has produced some very solid strikes as of late.

I know your excited but take your time with the setup of the club. Get it tuned in and once that happens, just leave it.

I used to tee it low like a 3W. Recently I started teeing it so that half the ball is above the crown. This, combined with really my work on a positive angle of attack has produced some very solid strikes as of late.

I know your excited but take your time with the setup of the club. Get it tuned in and once that happens, just leave it.

Played 18 yesterday and had it out on the course for the first time. Only hit driver twice so I could focus on hitting the Mini. Had it at 14* for the front and hit every fairway I used it on. It felt really forgiving at that loft as I was not swinging well at all yesterday. Ball flight was really high so I set it back to 12* starting on hole 14. It definitely launched lower but climbed quickly to the same height. Accuracy was not as good but I attribute that to being tired by that point.

Good session over all--just need to be patient as you said and get it dialed in.

Really looking into this. Just sold the driver with zero plans of getting another since I hit the 3 wood so much better. This might be the perfect fit for me.

I feel pretty stupid that I didn't put this club in my bag sooner. It's long and straight for me and I can control the trajectory and shape of the shot. I feel like it's almost an unfair advantage for me since nobody that I know at my club is playing one.

I feel pretty stupid that I didn't put this club in my bag sooner. It's long and straight for me and I can control the trajectory and shape of the shot. I feel like it's almost an unfair advantage for me since nobody that I know at my club is playing one.

It was weird seeing myself hit it right down the middle 5 consecutive times on the front yesterday. I know one of the guys I played with yesterday will be buying one after hitting it a few times.

Got out to Top golf this weekend, but my swing wasn't what I'd call stellar. Did catch a couple good ones with this and they were pounded. Going to get to the range here this week, so I should be able to get more time to dial this in. I went with the 14˚ model and haven't changed any adjustments yet.

Has anyone been playing a driver length shaft in their minis?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

It was weird seeing myself hit it right down the middle 5 consecutive times on the front yesterday. I know one of the guys I played with yesterday will be buying one after hitting it a few times.

I've had 2 rounds in my last 4 that I've hit 12/13 fairways.:banana: I'm also getting 265 yds. out of it on solid hits. When the fairways dry out and it get warmer that will turn into 275+.

So.....
I have had this club for about 7 months. Tried it in the fall, hit it ok, wasn't quite what I hoped it would be.
I was using it as a 3w until yesterday.
My cousin in law was in town, we played a round of golf, he used my clubs. The Mini was his driver. I used my "straighter" driver.
He was 10-20 yds longer than I was on almost every drive, playing at 14*. Same length shaft.
I tried this out today as my driver, see how it compared to my "straighter" driver.
After pushing the opening tee shot right (lost ball), I proceeded to hit this club 12/13 FIR (one lousy hook left, lost ball). Interestingly, this was longer on every drive but one as compared to my driver.
Loved the contact, really not a lot of movement on any shots, great height, great results!
Hope it continues!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back