The Car Shopping Thread

Still sticking with it. I'm all for a sticker on the rear window, I've seen similar trucks from my school and they are still ugly.

96 months is crazy to think about paying on a vehicle. I did 72 months on mine payed it off in like 44. Plan was 36 but bought the Mrs a new car.

As far as keeping them I just got rid of a 95 Camry that my wife has had for 15yrs. My pickup is an 06 & car is a 09 both will be ran till the wheels fall off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep them till their wheels fall off. At this point of my life I don't finance more than 36 months but that wasn't always the case.

It's interesting to see the different takes on things from person to person. I have a number of customers who get a new truck every year. BUT, they have the money to do so and pay cash for them. I have others that keep them for around 10 years, and have TONS of miles on them. To each there own as they say. I can see both sides of the coin, I've been on both sides. Cars are sort of like golf clubs with me, I tend to get bored and want newer ones sooner than I think. So, that's why leasing works for me, personally. I don't drive a ton of miles, so that doesn't effect me. My payments are usually lowers and every 3 years I get a new vehicle.

I've been on the other side, too. I had a 1996 Nissan coupe that had almost 200k miles when I got rid of it, great on gas during the high fuel we had back about 5 years ago, but it was nickeling and dollaring (not dimeing) me. Had NO trade value (basically) when I get rid of it. That's the only down side about keeping vehicles for over 10 years. Unless you drive under 10k a year, the value doesn't always hold in a lot of vehicles. If you get lucky enough to have a decent vehicle, that treats you right, it's a true value, but once you start putting in $50 here, $100 there...time to go.

It's interesting to see the different takes on things from person to person. I have a number of customers who get a new truck every year. BUT, they have the money to do so and pay cash for them. I have others that keep them for around 10 years, and have TONS of miles on them. To each there own as they say. I can see both sides of the coin, I've been on both sides. Cars are sort of like golf clubs with me, I tend to get bored and want newer ones sooner than I think. So, that's why leasing works for me, personally. I don't drive a ton of miles, so that doesn't effect me. My payments are usually lowers and every 3 years I get a new vehicle.

I've been on the other side, too. I had a 1996 Nissan coupe that had almost 200k miles when I got rid of it, great on gas during the high fuel we had back about 5 years ago, but it was nickeling and dollaring (not dimeing) me. Had NO trade value (basically) when I get rid of it. That's the only down side about keeping vehicles for over 10 years. Unless you drive under 10k a year, the value doesn't always hold in a lot of vehicles. If you get lucky enough to have a decent vehicle, that treats you right, it's a true value, but once you start putting in $50 here, $100 there...time to go.
Unless they are negotiating great deals I gotta think leasing would save them money over buying and trading I'm every year.

Typcially I was like you, needing (or wanting )a new vehicle every four years. Then the Highlander cam along and I loved it. Then when it was paid off after 6 years, I said, let me have one year of no payments, then I'll be ready. Then that year led to another and another and another. 10 years old and I still wasn't ready to give it up.

it actually got a little dusty in my office when they called me and told me it was headed to the salvage yard ��

Unless they are negotiating great deals I gotta think leasing would save them money over buying and trading I'm every year.

True, except the 4 I'm thinking about off the top of my head that do this, they all put 20 to 30k in miles on the trucks per year. So, leasing wouldn't be a great option for them in that case.

Should add...they are really good customers and go straight to the big Boss, so they get pretty good deals on their new ones.

Last edited:
Typcially I was like you, needing (or wanting )a new vehicle every four years. Then the Highlander cam along and I loved it. Then when it was paid off after 6 years, I said, let me have one year of no payments, then I'll be ready. Then that year led to another and another and another. 10 years old and I still wasn't ready to give it up.

it actually got a little dusty in my office when they called me and told me it was headed to the salvage yard ��

In fairness, my wife really wants a specific Explorer....a Sport 4x4 to be exact, in her next vehicle. So, hopefully they have some good leasing options on them when the time comes near the end of this year. She might want to keep it though, so we'll see what both payment options look like at that time.

With the a/z plan offer here, back looking at new f150s, but it's more than I got from the insurance company so we will see what the finance guy comes up with tomorrow.

Jay, is there any room to move on price when using a plan code?

In fairness, my wife really wants a specific Explorer....a Sport 4x4 to be exact, in her next vehicle. So, hopefully they have some good leasing options on them when the time comes near the end of this year. She might want to keep it though, so we'll see what both payment options look like at that time.

i saw a newer explorer in the parking lot at my gym Sunday. Only saw the front but it looked really good. Might be an SUV I consider if I went that route instead of a pickup when I get rid of the jeep

With the a/z plan offer here, back looking at new f150s, but it's more than I got from the insurance company so we will see what the finance guy comes up with tomorrow.

In my 9 years of working at a Ford dealership, I've never heard of an offer that allows someone non-A/Z eligible to get an A/Z pin. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident I'm not. So, please make sure it's legit before you head to pick out your truck.
Also, to answer your question, no....if you use a pin (A/Z for example) it is what it is, and there is no getting lower. Plus, A/Z is below invoice anyway, so doesn't get lower than that.

i saw a newer explorer in the parking lot at my gym Sunday. Only saw the front but it looked really good. Might be an SUV I consider if I went that route instead of a pickup when I get rid of the jeep
I really like the new Explorer, obviously. Give me shout when you're ready and I can help get you some pricing and some finance options help if you want. I can look up all that info nationwide if I have a VIN for the one(s) your interested in. Happy to help!

In my 9 years of working at a Ford dealership, I've never heard of an offer that allows someone non-A/Z eligible to get an A/Z pin. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident I'm not. So, please make sure it's legit before you head to pick out your truck.
Also, to answer your question, no....if you use a pin (A/Z for example) it is what it is, and there is no getting lower. Plus, A/Z is below invoice anyway, so doesn't get lower than that.

Did some digging. I stand corrected. There was a A/Z Pin incentive available, but it wasn't something that we must have had available here in out Midwest market. From what I'm reading, it was set to expire at the end of February. If they DID extend it, then I would jump on that offer ASAP. Most dealerships don't go and price a vehicle below invoice, and those that do, don't go THAT much below invoice. A/Z Pins are priced (a lot of times) WAY below invoice. SOOOO, if you CAN get a A/Z Pin, make sure you get a copy of the invoice showing that price in your hand, along with a copy of the A/Z Pin rebates for that vehicle, too. I'll be more than happy to verify those for you, too.

I sent you a PM with the vin and numbers they gave me. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

I sent you a PM with the vin and numbers they gave me. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Get the truck all picked out and purchased? Did they come up some on the trade in value for you?

I really liked the one I test drove Eric. There were a few things that were minor annoyances (the driver seat cushion seems a bit shorter than some) I don't think it would have bothered me on day to day driving, but possoble long road trips.

But it the ride and styling were great. I passed one on the way home tonight and the new sleeker styling really stood out to me and almost made me 2nd guess myself.

I really like the new Explorer, obviously. Give me shout when you're ready and I can help get you some pricing and some finance options help if you want. I can look up all that info nationwide if I have a VIN for the one(s) your interested in. Happy to help!

Truth!! You were a huge help to me and I really appreciated all your advice.

When I began my career in auto sales (in 1979, lol), 48 month financing had just started. You needed at least 10% down plus the sales tax. When I retired in 2012, 84 months was in the air. Very few people had cash down and most had negative equity to roll over. I was a Finance Mgr of a large used car lot. We had credit union and bank financing in house. We weren't in the car business as much as the finance business. Most people could care less about price, just "what is the payment? "

When I began my career in auto sales (in 1979, lol), 48 month financing had just started. You needed at least 10% down plus the sales tax. When I retired in 2012, 84 months was in the air. Very few people had cash down and most had negative equity to roll over. I was a Finance Mgr of a large used car lot. We had credit union and bank financing in house. We weren't in the car business as much as the finance business. Most people could care less about price, just "what is the payment? "

I hear that more than anything! Now, with all the laws in place, you can get yourself into trouble by just ball parking a possible payment without a true approval. It's a crazy time for us finance managers now.

Just drove away in this. Durango citadel it rides like a dream
9794de396be616e51215245a0884019b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I hear that more than anything! Now, with all the laws in place, you can get yourself into trouble by just ball parking a possible payment without a true approval. It's a crazy time for us finance managers now.
I am glad that I am retired. I remember one couple that I quoted a high payment to. Husband looked at wife and said, "Well, do you want to try it for a few months?" Most could not care less how many months. Not going to make them all anyway.

Just drove away in this. Durango citadel it rides like a dream
9794de396be616e51215245a0884019b.jpg

How do you climb into that? Pogo stick?

Trap runner vehicle....hahaha

Trap runner vehicle....hahaha
Kevin you know me way to good

Only problem is this thing has more features than I am smart enough to figure out

Get the truck all picked out and purchased? Did they come up some on the trade in value for you?

The used car manager was off today so I'm waiting for the phone call tomorrow to see where he will go to on the subi. Hopefully wrap it up tomorrow.

I stopped at another dealer today and they had one I liked too, just no power locks or windows haha. So if it doesn't work out tomorrow with the first one I'll move on.

Back