Optimum launch angle?

mtiger10

Geaux Tigers
Reaction score
Handicap
I've done several searches about launch angles but I can't seem to find the answer to this question: What is the optimum launch angle for a driver? 7 iron? Those are the clubs that I normally hit when I'm at a demo days or trying new equipment. I know that spin rate also figures into total distance and that number is usually included in ball fittings but I've never known what is ideal for launch angles.

I am not sure of this, but I am sure there is a chart out there for each club. I will search for one, but another member might have one around or just know.

mtiger10 - optimal launch angles and spin rates are different based on ball speed. There are ranges for optimals and based on trajectory preferences you can changes shafts, lofts, or balls to help get closer to what the preference is. Eg...if a player wants a higher trajectory then launch the ball higher with less spin...if a player wants a lower trajectory then they can launch it lower with more spin. That said, the range of doing that are about 3 degrees of launch and about 500 rpms of backspin.

I don't know what your ball speed is so I cannot give you the optimals. If you can provide more info such as how far you average your drives I could get close.

Tour player averages:
Driver = clubhead speed 112mph, ball speed = 165mph, 11.2 degree launch, 2685 rpms of backspin.
7 iron -clubhead speed 90mph, ball speed = 120mph, 16.3 degree launch, 7097 rmps of backspin.

You will not get close to these numbers I can say pretty confidently so just know that you will need to launch the ball higher with less spin to optimize your speed.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO
PGA Certified Professional

Thanks- this was helpful. Don't know my ball speed but I've had my swing speed measured several times. Always hovers right at 100 mph with driver. Driver distance is 230-240. So my launch angle should be around 13-15?

mtiger 10 - you will most likely have a ball speed of 135 to 145MPH if you have a clubhead speed at 100MPH. That being said your range would be around 14-16 degrees with about 2500-3,000 RPMS of backsping....no side spin.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

I just wanted to bump this. I just bought new clubs and was curious want launch and spin rate I should be looking for on a 7i, I already know I need them bent 2*, my numbers were 100 mph ball speed, 30* launch, 3800 spin, with a 7i. Just wondering if I should have them bent 2* strong also to bring the flight down, while I'm have them bent flat.

3800 RPM of spin with a 7 iron? Do you have any other info?
AOA, peak height, etc?

I'm no expert but that spin seems really low for a 7i I think..

I'm no expert but that spin seems really low for a 7i I think..
I thought it should be in the 5500 to 6000 range but I've been wrong before!

I thought it should be in the 5500 to 6000 range but I've been wrong before!
Haha that's my driver but by no means is that optimum

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s5

Optimum launch angle?

3800 RPM of spin with a 7 iron? Do you have any other info?
AOA, peak height, etc?

I don't have any of that other info, I just took my 7i to golf galaxy to hit on a lie board, those were just the numbers I remember on their GC2. SS 78-80 mph, ball speed 100mph, 30-32* launch 3800 spin 155-160 carry.

I'm taking them to get bent Tuesday, I get all the info for you then, and then let you evaluate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any of that other info, I just took my 7i to golf galaxy to hit on a lie board, those were just the numbers I remember on their GC2. SS 78-80 mph, ball speed 100mph, 30-32* launch 3800 spin 155-160 carry.

I'm taking them to get bent Tuesday, I get all the info for you then, and then let you evaluate.

Hitting off of a lie board has always skewed my numbers. It's usually around 1500-2000 rpm for me. looking at the launch numbers you might have released early and scooped the ball as opposed to striking it. Happens a lot with lie boards from what I've seen.

I would try to go back and hit it again without the board and see what your launch and spin numbers are

Hitting off of a lie board has always skewed my numbers. It's usually around 1500-2000 rpm for me. looking at the launch numbers you might have released early and scooped the ball as opposed to striking it. Happens a lot with lie boards from what I've seen.

I would try to go back and hit it again without the board and see what your launch and spin numbers are

Those were my numbers not on a lie board. I will say I'll almost guarantee the spin was wrong though, after seeing them outside, they have no problem getting up in the air.

Back