Shot you wish was recorded?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
I was on the road yesterday and was thinking about my golf season last year and a coupe of shots stuck out that I wish I could have had recorded. Do you have any memorable shots that you wish you had recorded on video, and what was it?

I hit a knockdown wedge through a moderate crosswind to 12 feet at No. 7 on Pebble Beach and rolled in the birdie.

Would have loved to have that on video. Butchering 8, 9, and 10 ... not so much.

Mine would be the third shot on the #1 hole par 5 at my home course. I had pulled my second shot into the trees and thought I was hosed. Found the ball, behind a bush about 140 out. Take my 7 iron hood it over as it's going to need to draw around the bush, put the best swing I could on it and watched in amazement as it drew around the bush headed for the flag and stopped 2 inches from the cup for a tap in birdie.

My HIO for sure.

I was on the road yesterday and was thinking about my golf season last year and a coupe of shots stuck out that I wish I could have had recorded. Do you have any memorable shots that you wish you had recorded on video, and what was it?

My second shot ever taken on an actual golf course. I was young (10-12 yrs old maybe), and hit from the ladies tees and lets say it didn't go very far, but landed in the rough. 2nd shot I tried to tee it up, and my dad reminded me I could only tee it up from the tee box. As a father I would have appreciated and laughed at it differently than I would have 5 years ago without kids. That would be a fun round to play with friends, having the option to tee it up for the entire round if you want, except on greens.

I had a nine iron hit within a foot just short and left of the pin and the ball ended up within two foot on the right side of the pin. I know it was close to dropping in. I had a few 300+ drives that I would like to see as well.

I hit a knockdown wedge through a moderate crosswind to 12 feet at No. 7 on Pebble Beach and rolled in the birdie.

Would have loved to have that on video. Butchering 8, 9, and 10 ... not so much.

There's not many better venues for a memory like that than Pebble Beach!

That time I holed out from 140 at the THP Championship last year...they had been filming shots into that green right up to the point we teed off and they moved locations. Sooooo close to having that one recorded.

Putt on 18 when I shot my personal best. It was over 40 feet, I should not have made it, had hit it way too hard, but it hit the back of the cup and went in. That summed up that day, just everything went well.

All my memorable shots are already recorded in that film that plays in my head. All three of them. But it would be nice to have one of my 220 yd. clothes line drives recorded on film in slow motion. Watching it in slow motion would make it feel like it was a 320 yd. drive

Chipping in for eagle on the final hole of the THP Championship with @jdax to card a 29 on the back nine. I'd like to see that again.

That time I holed out from 140 at the THP Championship last year...they had been filming shots into that green right up to the point we teed off and they moved locations. Sooooo close to having that one recorded.

Chipping in for eagle on the final hole of the THP Championship with @jdax to card a 29 on the back nine. I'd like to see that again.

Wow, the THP Championship produced some good memories last year!

Must not have happened then

Most recent was this fall playing with Haso at The Cape Club. 18th hole playing about 515 yards I had 245 left for 2nd shot. I absolutely flushed a towering 3W towards the green. We saw initial flight but as it approached the green we lost it. I suspected I came up short/right into water. We get up to the green and ball is nowhere to be found. I'm walking edge of water looking for my ball and I hear " hey idiot" and Haso shows my ball mark almost hole high. We go to back of the green and find my ball had released through green into rough about 50' from the hole. Hit a sh*tty chip and 2 putted for par. Probably the best 3W I've hit in my life followed up by worst chip in my life....stupid game.

Got cute with one today and tried to fit a low draw through some palm trees. Would really like to know if I hit a car in the parking lot or someone passing by off the ricochet. Would make for a fun slo-mo shot.

I wish I had a definite answer. Usually its just a survival type of shot where you say you know what? f it I am going through that tree v right there and it ends up working out. Nothing amazing but kind of that shot you look back on and say damn that shouldn't have happened.

At a course I play regularly, there is a hole I struggle with all the time. ONCE, I hit a beautiful drive that drew across the dogleg and ended up going a total of 285. That would have been nice to actually see, because you lose sight of the ball after about 100 yards, so I didn't even see it.

I wish my hole-in-ones had been recorded. To be honest, they aren't much of a memory and are mostly forgotten. That is a shame.

I think it has to do with how I was thinking at the time. I got a yardage, took aim, and made a swing.

The best memories I have are from strokes you're not supposed to make. Right now it comes from a 9 iron shot through a gap in the trees during the first round of this year. I was able to take a full swing, made good contact, and curved the ball into the middle of the green. It was no hole-in-one and there is no need to go into what came before or after this particular shot but I'm still carrying it with me. Perhaps it is the story teller side of me and the fact it is a memory that highlights these moments. More likely it is the fact I had to visualize my shot before I addressed the ball. I need to work on the latter and enjoy good shots more, way too often I'm looking for a tee or taking it for granted.

Reading these is bringing more of my own memories back to me, good stuff everyone!

Mine would be from The Grandaddy this year. I was behind the green probably 15 yards and was well below the hole with a couple of Palm trees between me and the pin. My only option was to flop one up really high and hope it would clear the trees and land soft enough to hold the green. I hit it about as perfect as I could and left my partner dazeedmonds a makeable putt, which he drained! It was one of those where the shot itself was such a cool memory but the reaction of the group made it even better.

The more I think about it my most memorable shots are all circus type shots. I need to stop leaving myself in bad positions!

The first and only time my wife ever went with me while I golfed I shot even par a few years ago. I made a double breaking, double undulating putt on the 18th from probably 50' that I would have loved to have recorded for posterity.

My back-to-back chip-ins while 2 down with 2 to go during my Grandaddy competition.

I’m sure there are a bunch more, but those are at the top of the list.

Mine is close to yours, my trip to Pebble Beach last August, but unlike you I pulled my wedge on #7 long and left into the ocean. The one I would have wanted recorded was my second on #8. My tee shot was right center of the fairway, and far enough back from the cliff to be comfortable, I absolutely flushed a 6-iron dead center just short of the green on the second shot. Even though I didn't make the green, the ball ended up just where I was aiming, since I didn't want to chance the carry required with a longer club to go at the flag. I have no photo or video, but I can play that one back in my mind's eye any time. Watching that shot soar across the cove was an all time memory.

My approach shot into 18 during my PB round last June.

I turned my uphill tee shot over some, not a terrible drive but not very strong and a terrible leave. I was left side rough with 191 out to the center of the green, sidehill lie, ball significantly below my feet. The problem there was that a large oak tree on the left side was blocking all but the back right portion of the very large green and the pin was cut center distance but toward the left side.

The lie was gonna encourage the ball to go right and if I lost it that way, possible death looms in some thicket. I was -4 going into the hole and already blowing away my previous PB of +1 so the thought of laying up and maybe inviting bogey as a possible worst case did enter my mind.

But nope, I wanted -4. I pulled 7-iron because I knew that I was a little pumped and I'd planned to play a lower, drawing shot, ball back in my stance a bit, anyway.

I pulled it off, nutted it. Turning beautifully to the left despite the lie below my feet, but seemed a little hot. Ball came to rest about 15' long and left of the pin. Cozied up my first putt, tapped in for par.

On a day that was my best ever, there wasn't really any great shots prior to 18. Just solid and consistent play. Only other time I was seriously challenged for par was when I short-sided myself in a greenside bunker on #13 with death long. I'd been struggling mightily in the sand but managed to loft a soft one to 6' and made the straight uphill putt.

18 was a challenge but made more so for me because I was so focused and wanted it so much. I was proud of myself for being able to pull that shot off.

No video, but the memory works just fine.

Last edited:
2 shots immediately come to mind for me.

1) Bay Hill #16. Hitting a 5 iron from the fairway bunker to a couple feet setting up a kick in eagle.

2) Escena #18 en route to a personal best round. My drive was lacklustre but my approach was a balls-out 4 wood from 240 that found the front of the green giving me a putt for 69. I settled for a birdie tap in and a PB 70.

My dad passed away at the age of 54 from heart attacks. I was 19. When I was 17, he showed me how to play with his clubs and that summer, I chipped one from 75 feet out, it bounced twice and went in. I’ve never seen him freak out in happiness like that. I can still see it in my head but would love to have film of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back