2019 Golfing Goals

Can't believe I didn't see this long ago. Anyway, I think I've posted these before. I had wanted to break back into the 70s this year. I've done that 3 times now. I, also, wanted to drop my handicap into the single digits. I think I'll likely achieve that at the next revision. I'm trending to 9.8 now.

I'll say my new goal is +3 for 18 holes. I've shot a +4 (75) once, but it was on a short course (maybe 5700-5800 yards). Would love to put together a round in that range on my normal tees (6400ish).

Ya, crazy I never saw this thread. Or maybe I did as this new format has my eyes bugging out.
My goals would've been different 7 months ago. I'd say now I really want to just have more fun and compete more. I'm playing a qualifier for the Texas Mid Am in 5 days and I just want to play well and have fun. I'd have to put together my best round in forever to qualify so that would be a foolish goal.
Next year I want to travel and play more. I took a Cali trip (pebble, Spyglass SF Tahoe) and also played Sawgrass recently. I want more trips like that and to just enjoy my rounds

millsan1;n8874389 said:
I've been thinking about my goals for 2019 and because I am incapable of simple math, my goals did not line up.

One of my goals was to shoot in the mid 90s consistently. I have reached that goal. 16 of my last 20 rounds have been under 100, with only 3 of those above 96. Majority are in the 92-95 range, with an 82 and an 89 in there. Awesome.

But another goal was to get my handicap to mid teens. Mid teens requires rounds in the high 80s or low 90s all the time to be there. So in reality, those two goals of mine do not match up.

So with 4 months to go, I am resetting, with a goal of low 90s as the average. WHatever that works out in handicap is what it is.

This past week, I shot my PB of 82. I did nothing exceptionally well in that round, I just did not make a single bad shot. Had a few iffy shots, but nothing bad. So if I was asked what I could shoot on my best day, I would say an 80.

The next day I shot an 89, because I hit a couple bad shots. Still a good round.

But Saturday I shot a 100. 3 OB, 3 duffs and a couple extra putts is all it takes to take me from a good round to a bad round.

Goals definitely help. You can track those incremental benchmarks such as average scoring. Keep working and tracking.

MattyDMPLS;n113473 said:
A member here has his golfing goals for the year in his signature and that really made me think about what I want to accomplish this year.

70% Fairways and GIR Hit for the Year
Make a birdie in every round
Get my handicap index to 0.0

Events:
Make the Horse Race at my dad's Member/Guest (Low 5 Members and Guests qualify)
Qualify for Minnesota State Open
Win Club Championship

What are yours?

My progress so far this year.

70% Fairways ——————— Currently sitting at 62% up from about 50%
Make a birdie everyone round—————— I have made a birdie on every 9 hole round except for 1
0.0 Handicap————— down to a 0.1.....so close

Horse Race———— was cancelled but would have qualified as the #1 guest
State Open qualifier————— new job wouldn’t allow me to try.....stupid work!
club championship————— it is in 2 weeks.

I have decided for the rest of 2019 I want to fix my wedge game. I want to build my golf game around 100 yards in. I want to purchase 4 wedges 4 different lofts (46,52,58,62) and will relearn my 7:30, 9, and 10 finesse swings with those lofts. I want each wedge marked off for distance, tied to TheGrint gps app, at each swing position. I used that app for the first time this weekend and I am confident using it gave me really accurate short-game yardage.

LLIB;n8386787 said:
My main goal is to break 90. The other isn’t so much of a goal as it is a to do, and that’s to get a good, thorough, full bag fitting. Found a Top 100 fitter relatively close so I scheduled one for April. I’m really looking forward to it and hope it helps me reach my main goal.

Breaking 90 goal has been accomplished. The fitting, not so much. The fitter I saw in April was a joke

Parrot;n8383441 said:
I want to play and practice more.

I want to get my putts down to 30-32 a round. After last year, if I can go a round without 3-putting, I'll dance all the way to the truck.

I want to have better game management and avoid the risky, hero-type shots I try that most often lead to multiple others in a round.

I want to hit half or better of my greens in regulation.

If I can do those things somewhat well, my scores will be considerably better.

I want to get selected for a THP event.

1. Done, even with putting the clubs down for a month.

2. I'm trending that way thanks to the Odyssey and Toulon Stroke Lab putters and tips from Sean Toulon and Luke Williams. I've been under 30 for the last 2 rounds and my average is at 32 and change for the last 9 rounds.

3. Yes and no. I've improved but I'll still try a shot that is against my better judgment at least once a round. I only have one round where I can say I didn't.

4. I'm hitting more than I was by 3 or 4 a round.

5. Scores are better. Cap should be 11 this revision.

6. Done and I'd love to have one more.

I didn't put down breaking 80 because I really thought that was a bit of a reach but I did once with a 77.

Mine started as - Don't take it for granted. Stay healthy. Just try to enjoy it and let it come as it will.

That evolved into - scratch?, let it loose and see what's still there, compete in the end of summer tournaments

The evolution made me kind of fail at the the stay healthy one so now they're - don't rush back, let yourself heal, try to play with future years in mind.

The current goals are proving to be the hardest.

Mine are pretty pedestrian. Keep the ball in play -- finish as many rounds without losing balls as possible -- to avoid costly penalties. Go from mid/high handicap to a genuine mid-handicap range. And my most important one is consistency ... I want to really start playing golf -- thinking strategically about where to shoot, considering what shots are more probable than others, etc. -- rather than committing most of my thoughts to not shanking/topping/thinning the ball.

quod erat;n8875217 said:
Mine are pretty pedestrian. Keep the ball in play -- finish as many rounds without losing balls as possible -- to avoid costly penalties. Go from mid/high handicap to a genuine mid-handicap range. And my most important one is consistency ... I want to really start playing golf -- thinking strategically about where to shoot, considering what shots are more probable than others, etc. -- rather than committing most of my thoughts to not shanking/topping/thinning the ball.

What is your normal shot shape? What side of the tee box are you teeing up your ball on? These 2 questions can impact your game quite a bit. If you move it left to right, teeing up on the right side of the box gives your ball that much more room to catch the fairway.

MattyDMPLS;n8875220 said:
What is your normal shot shape? What side of the tee box are you teeing up your ball on? These 2 questions can impact your game quite a bit. If you move it left to right, teeing up on the right side of the box gives your ball that much more room to catch the fairway.

Fade to the left (as a leftie). Though the occasional push to the right makes teeing off on the left somewhat hazardous. It's a good suggestion though ... I'm trying to get more consistent precisely so that I can start thinking more about this kind of stuff.

quod erat;n8875230 said:
Fade to the left (as a leftie). Though the occasional push to the right makes teeing off on the left somewhat hazardous. It's a good suggestion though ... I'm trying to get more consistent precisely so that I can start thinking more about this kind of stuff.

Good luck! Course management is where I saw a ton of improvement in consistency.

Finally checked another goal off the list today. Bogey free round! That’s big for me as I always tend to have that one hole...

Finally checked another goal off the list today. Bogey free round! That’s big for me as I always tend to have that one hole...
That is amazing! What was the score?

That is amazing! What was the score?

-5, 67 at my home course. Was close to two more goals as well. 18/18 GIR (I was 17/18) and beat my personal best of 65.

IMG95201909229517484874195HDR.jpg

Finally got back the guys weekend trophy

Back