Scrap's Quest To Quit Smoking

I'm coming up on a year smoke-free in June. You can do this. My best bud sent me a picture of himself with a scar from neck to navel. Went in for a checkup and had an emergency quad bypass. He called me every day for a month and said "you're gonna die if you keep doing that". Went to the Dr. and got some Chantix and the rest was in my head. Good luck and I truly mean that.

Good luck Beef, you got this.

Good luck buddy, great on you for making a healthy life choice. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
You-can-do-it-BABY.jpg

You've got this, Scrap. Go #Beefcake on those cigs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You can do it Beef. I will say the gum was really helpful for me. Something to do but also kept me occupied. When I drive I like to eat apples.

Well damn it I was doing good since I left the gym last night until lunch today. I made it through the drive to work and the morning no problem. Then I picked up a coffee at lunch and I caved. At least o didn't buy a pack. Ugh. Well it's a marathon not a sprint I guess. Now to get through the rest of the day.

Thanks to those who posted in here.

Well damn it I was doing good since I left the gym last night until lunch today. I made it through the drive to work and the morning no problem. Then I picked up a coffee at lunch and I caved. At least o didn't buy a pack. Ugh. Well it's a marathon not a sprint I guess. Now to get through the rest of the day.

Thanks to those who posted in here.

Thought this was interesting...

"Why would cutting down gradually on smoking “sabotage,” those who want to quit? One possible way is that it increases the reward value of each remaining cigarette. The smoker learns to wait for it like a present on Christmas morning. This is sometimes called the “slot machine syndrome” because the payoff is uncertain and irregular, and it makes the behavior hard to extinguish. As long as you sometimes get what you want, in this case, occasional smoking, you will continue waiting for that outcome: the next cigarette. By contrast, if you are never going to win the game, as in the cold turkey approach, you are more likely to walk away for good."

How many do you smoke in a day?

It's not going to be an overnight process, but you can do it!

Pulling for you Scrap, you can do it, and your grandkids will thank you for it.

Thought this was interesting...

"Why would cutting down gradually on smoking “sabotage,” those who want to quit? One possible way is that it increases the reward value of each remaining cigarette. The smoker learns to wait for it like a present on Christmas morning. This is sometimes called the “slot machine syndrome” because the payoff is uncertain and irregular, and it makes the behavior hard to extinguish. As long as you sometimes get what you want, in this case, occasional smoking, you will continue waiting for that outcome: the next cigarette. By contrast, if you are never going to win the game, as in the cold turkey approach, you are more likely to walk away for good."

Are you saying I shouldn't beat myself up for it or that I'm weaker than Holtby and his 5 hole?

Just quit myself, it's a long war made up of a lot of little battles, but you're heading the right direction. You did it once and can do it again.

Are you saying I shouldn't beat myself up for it or that I'm weaker than Holtby and his 5 hole?

Lol! Definitely don't beat yourself up. As always, there are opinions on both sides of the Cold-Turkey vs Gradual argument. That one just caught my eye and kinda made sense.

Was at a minimum of 20 a day so close to a pack.
Ok, for the sake of round numbers I'll use 20. For 7 days leave the house in the am with a pack. At the end of 7 days you leave the house with 19. Third week you leave with 18 and so on. Trying to quit cold turkey almost never works, your body won't allow it.

Ok, for the sake of round numbers I'll use 20. For 7 days leave the house in the am with a pack. At the end of 7 days you leave the house with 19. Third week you leave with 18 and so on. Trying to quit cold turkey almost never works, your body won't allow it.

The approach that worked last time was this. Beat the craving, beat the craving again, holy crap I'm loosing my mind, go have half a cigarette then just test myself to go longer each time.

Good luck man. I committed to losing weight 2 years ago, now this is my next endeavor.I smoke about a pack and a half a day, gotta beat this thing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not a very successful 24 hours but I'm down 17 smokes in a day. If this was weight loss and the 17 was pounds I would be doing great. Time to get the train back on the tracks.

Not a very successful 24 hours but I'm down 17 smokes in a day. If this was weight loss and the 17 was pounds I would be doing great. Time to get the train back on the tracks.

Improvement is improvement you can do it.

Just saw this. Please keep at it. Coming up on 4 years in June smoke free. It's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't smoke today. Just today. Worry about tomorrow then.

Thanks mixalot.

Bought gas and a coffee on my way to work but didn't buy a pack. That's a huge win for me. Now let's get through the rest of the day. I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

You're fine. You're smelly after you smoke anyway. You'll smell it on someone after a few days and it will be gross.

Back