Shorter Backswing

tbuis13

Slacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
What are some drills for shortening the backswing? I know mine is way too long, only drill I've really worked on to this point is pausing at the top, just can't seem to get it to translate to my on-course swing.
Screenshot_2016-04-19-16-12-57.jpg

Headcover or towel under the right arm(assuming RH golfer). If it falls out you are probably to long

Shorter Backswing

Hands stop when shoulders stop, do this slowly take the club back and then go back to the ball then back to the top and then hit the ball from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place a towel under you right arm. If it falls out, then you're swing is too long.

Towel under the right arm is the best. Just remember, once your rotation stops, then you hands stop. Some are more flexible than others, just stop you hands and set the club when your shoulders stop turning.

It's only too long if you can't get it back through properly.
Phil Mickelson and John Daily both have uber long swings.
Control is the key and why it is better in general to shorten it.

It's only too long if you can't get it back through properly.
Phil Mickelson and John Daily both have uber long swings.
Control is the key and why it is better in general to shorten it.

most amateurs can't get back, hence the need to shorten the swing.

True words, especially for us that are in our 50's. I have to work hard now with golf specific exercises to keep my hamstrings, hip flexors, back, lats, shoulders, and obliques flexible enough to get a full turn in.

Why would you need to shorten if you can't get back there?
I would say the need to shorten is more needed in amateurs like the OP and others that can extend but not control it.

I would say the need to shorten is more needed in amateurs like the OP and others that can extend but not control it.
Huh?

I think you answered your own question.

Huh?

I think you answered your own question.

No, if your swing isn't long because you can't physically get back then why shorten it.
Seems to me in those cases you are striving for more width/length (yes I know they are not the same).
The biggest problem is when you do go back too far it puts you out of position and bad things can happen.
Some who do have the flexibility can control it and get more distance but for many of us it is not a good idea.

No, if your swing isn't long because you can't physically get back then why shorten it.

I don't think anybody has said anything contesting that

I meant can't back to square at impact not get back in the back swing

Back