Golf Stats - Putts, GIR, Fairways, etc - What do you track?

The Milk Man

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+0.6 GHIN
I got asked in another thread. If I calculate strokes gained putting. This made me realize that I don't track any golf stats. Typically the only thing I care about is the score. I may add up number of putts after the round. If I had a particularly bad day putting, otherwise nothing.

If you track golf stats. Which ones do you track? GIR, Putts, Fairways hit are the standard ones, do you also track strokes gained. What do you hope to gain by tracking them and have you seen improvement in those areas.

I use arccos to track all of my stats and it shows me the areas of my game I need to work on.

I use Nike's 360 golf app which tracks all of the above for me. It's very helpful to see the progression from round to round and determine where I need to work.

I started tracking FIR, GIR, and putts this year. For now I am putting them in a spreadsheet. I hope to progress my game this year and want to track my efforts. I am consistently about 33% GIR and 2.0 putts/hole, and those are the key stats I want to improve.

What I don't track or know well is club distances. I need to do that. I only have a fuzzy idea of my distances per club, and that impacts approach shots and GIR. I do a lot of guessing and feel. I can't rely on distances from limited flight range balls and don't have access to any kind of hitting monitor tech. I am going to start manually tracking shots with golfshot gps -- if I can remember to do that -- and may try something like arccos or game golf.

During rounds intra fir/GIR but not long term.

I have though started tracking my putting more detailed as to high/low miss and short/long

I only track putts including length of putts made and missed. Putting is my biggest area for improvement. It's been that way for a couple decades.

I use arccos to track all of my stats and it shows me the areas of my game I need to work on.
Me too! Arccos is just a fabulous tool for tracking statistics as it's a complete no brainer.

I started tracking FIR, GIR, and putts this year. For now I am putting them in a spreadsheet. I hope to progress my game this year and want to track my efforts. I am consistently about 33% GIR and 2.0 putts/hole, and those are the key stats I want to improve.

What I don't track or know well is club distances. I need to do that. I only have a fuzzy idea of my distances per club, and that impacts approach shots and GIR. I do a lot of guessing and feel. I can't rely on distances from limited flight range balls and don't have access to any kind of hitting monitor tech. I am going to start manually tracking shots with golfshot gps -- if I can remember to do that -- and may try something like arccos or game golf.
Stats threads come up from time to time here. We have a great threat about putts per round here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15605-Putts-Per-Round-Overrated-Number

As your greens hit increase, your putts per round will probably go up, as you aren't chipping on as much and will be hitting your greens from further distances,

That said, I keep track of fairways hit and putts. But I don't do anything with them after the round.

Downloaded an app yesterday called "The Grint", going to try it on Sunday.

Gir, Fir, putts, scrambles and sand/saves. Also drives right, left , center or fat/thin.

50fa7e9e-91db-4d4e-8174-f5d672da78e9_zps71187496.jpg

d84f8c2e-17b4-48f0-a6b2-f014200539bc_zps3a9de940.jpg

I use this, and am making my kids start using it as well. SO happy I've gotten back to it.

Downloaded an app yesterday called "The Grint", going to try it on Sunday.

The Grint is pretty good. Definitely one of the better GPS/stat tracker apps out there.

I track GIR, FIR (also drive direction), putts and penalties.

The Grint is pretty good. Definitely one of the better GPS/stat tracker apps out there.

I track GIR, FIR (also drive direction), putts and penalties.

Thanks - I've come to realize that I really just want to track those things and knowing how far I just hit a 7 iron doesn't really matter because I know how far it hit it 90% of the time - the rest is just judging the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to but then i realized i wasnt doing much with the data so i stopped

I keep FIR, GIR and putts. Probably going to go the arccos route here soon.

when i fill out my scorecard it looks like this:

initials (gross score)
f (1 or /)
g (1 or /)
p (number)
pen (number)
s (1 or /)

i like the idea of recording what club i hit each time as well as the distance of putts and how i missed. but it's already been pointed out to me that i'm a slower player and this would only make it worse so i probably won't go to this extra measure.

I use the Hole19 app to keep track. Not sure about the other apps.

I have always put FIR, GIR and Putts on the scorecard under my name and tracked results. I have started entering those stats - as well as club used, sand saves and up and downs made/missed - on the US Handicap site to keep cumulative results (click the "detail statistics" button when entering your score). I do the last three from memory after the fact instead of tracking it on the scorecard.

I track just about everything. I have spreadsheets from 2004 through now with details of every round.

Driving Statistics

- Total Swings w/ Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid and 4 Iron
- Percentage of Shots In Play
- Percentage of Shots Out of Play
- Average Distance with Each Club
- Percentage of Shots Left, Right or In Fairway

Putting Statistics

- Average Distance of Putts Made per Round
- Average Number of Putts per Round
- Strokes Gained Putting (Against my Handicap)

Other Statistics

- Penalty Strokes
- Greens in Regulation
- Near Greens in Regulation
- Up & Down Percentage for Par or Better
- Sand Save Percentage for Any Score
- Average Gross Score
- Average Net Score
- Money Spent on Greens/Entry Fees
- Money Won/Lost

I go back at the end of every year and input the year-end numbers into another spreadsheet for comparison purposes. I'm a little crazy about my stats. I do it for fun more than anything... but I also like to see how my good rounds compare to my average and poor rounds.

I track:
FIR: Hit, Miss Left, etc. + club
GIR: Hit, Miss
Putts: #
Other: Up/Down or Sand Save etc..
Penalites: #

I have to normally use 2 cards, 1 for me and 1 for the group. This will show me my weakest points besides the game in it's entirety.

I usually track whatever I can fit on the scorecard. If I'm playing solo it looks like this:

Strokes
Putts
Greens
Fairway
Tee Club/Approach club
Total Drive Distance
Drive Shape

50fa7e9e-91db-4d4e-8174-f5d672da78e9_zps71187496.jpg

d84f8c2e-17b4-48f0-a6b2-f014200539bc_zps3a9de940.jpg

I use this, and am making my kids start using it as well. SO happy I've gotten back to it.
Did you make those yourself or did you buy some where? Looks like something you could make on Excel.

Seems like a good tool to hone your putting. Have you or your players seen any trends using the putting cards? I may have to start doing something similar.

Since game golf has added storkes gained stats to their platform I don't track nearly as much. I really wish there was a way to download the raw data in csv form because it would be quite easy to put it into a spreadsheet and get the majority of the stats the pga tracks. Game golf love nice looking little pictures and things but lacks badly in stats like proximity to the hole, birdie or better type stuff. Pre game golf most rounds I would track quite a bit. The basics would be Fairways and left right misses, GIR, penalty strokes, total putts, I would also write down 1st putt lengths since that is what you need for SGP. Would also track the distance to the hole, club used and surface I am hitting off for every shot then enter those into a spreadsheet whee I could get about 20 different stats.

Last season when I was playing everyday I would use those stats to base my practice around. I also use them to pick targets. I know my standard deviation in distance for all my clubs so depending on how much I am willing to risk and the penalty if I do. ie for a 7 iron I am comfortable with trying to land the ball 5 yards over a bunker and 10 yards over a water hazard.

If anyone wants a simple strokes gained spreadsheet let me know I will send it to you. All you need is first putt distance and number of putts.

Did you make those yourself or did you buy some where? Looks like something you could make on Excel.

Seems like a good tool to hone your putting. Have you or your players seen any trends using the putting cards? I may have to start doing something similar.

They're Ben Pellicani's (SPi instructor), you can actually just save those that I posted and print them off.

I have most definitely in the past, why I got away from tracking I'm not sure. I had a bad propensity to miss low and.or short, which obviously NEVER have a chance to go in. This gave me visual feedback as to just how often I wasn't giving myself a chance.

My players (top 3 in particular) are the exact same way, and they will begin using these this week. Low side, and low/short, NEVER has a chance.

Stats threads come up from time to time here. We have a great threat about putts per round here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?15605-Putts-Per-Round-Overrated-Number

As your greens hit increase, your putts per round will probably go up, as you aren't chipping on as much and will be hitting your greens from further distances,

That said, I keep track of fairways hit and putts. But I don't do anything with them after the round.

Yeah putts per round is fairly worthless, I still track it, but really doesn't do much. Strokes gained putting is the best way to judge putting performance.

Back