Taylormade R15/R15 TP Rescues

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Since there wasn't a thread for it, I went ahead and created one, even though this qualifies as last year's release. Info and images from TM:

20141223145644_23557.jpg

r15-rescue-spec_990.jpg

r15-rescue-spec1.png

The following is my impression of the club after testing it twice.

The R15 Rescue is, in a word, ridiculous. I hit it once a couple weeks back and it was unbelievably long, so much so that I actually couldn't believe it. I went back yesterday ready to hit all kinds of other hybrids (TEE E8/EX9, Callaway XR, Aeroburner, G30, Nike Vapor Fly, etc.), convinced that one of them would come close. Not to be. I'm still a little in disbelief...

Currently I carry my J40 3h around 210 yards on a well struck ball. Most of the other 3h's (anywhere from 19*-21*) I hit carried right around that or a little less, and I'm looking to add about 5 or so yards to each of my hybrids to fix gapping between my 5i and 4h (a little too tight now, with the added distance on my new irons) and 3h and 3w (too wide - around 25 yards between). The R15 had other things in mind. Set to 19*, I was carrying the ball in the
225 yard range when hit well. The slight mishits were still going farther than a pure shot with my current hybrid!

So it was actually too long, but that is the beauty of adjustability. Adjusted to 20* and was getting a perfect 215-220 out of it - exactly what I want. These launch really easy and while not the most forgiving hybrid I've hit, there is a lot more forgiveness than the small head size would indicate. And for whatever reason, I didn't have big issues with hooks either time I hit it.

These may be in the bag sooner rather than later.

I never tried the R15 hybrids but did try the SLDR hybrid and ran into a similar problem. I tried I think the 18º and it was going the same distance as my 3w. Distance is good but it didn't fill the gap I needed it to. I didn't get a chance to adjust it though. I'm sure the 3 or 4 hybrid would have fit that gap better.

Now you got me thinking about this club. My 4i goes farther than I expected so I need something to put between it and the 3w.

Now you got me thinking about this club. My 4i goes farther than I expected so I need something to put between it and the 3w.

Don't be surprised if the 3h ends up closer to the 3W than the 4i! That is what the adjustable hosel is for though.

Don't be surprised if the 3h ends up closer to the 3W than the 4i! That is what the adjustable hosel is for though.

I wouldn't be. It's going to have to be long based on what I am seeing with the 4i so far. I don't have any real numbers, just on a SIM, but I have seen a quite a few in the 240 total range (BS 128 - 130)on really well struck shots. I have found that knocking 20 yds off the sim distances for this particular sim is pretty close to reality.

Adjust-ability is a bonus. Heck, I had to set the 915 3w at 16.5 because it was getting too close (and sometimes catching up) to my driver.

I hit the R15 3h this evening at Dicks. You weren't kidding it is good! Ball speeds from 135-144 on the sim, not sure the numbers are accurate, but I hit a few drivers and the numbers seemed about right. That is 3w territory, pretty amazing. I'll have to find one to hit outside to see if it's for real.

I hit the R15 3h this evening at Dicks. You weren't kidding it is good! Ball speeds from 135-144 on the sim, not sure the numbers are accurate, but I hit a few drivers and the numbers seemed about right. That is 3w territory, pretty amazing. I'll have to find one to hit outside to see if it's for real.

It's pretty filthy dude haha. Glad I'm not crazy! Yeah I wanna say I saw similar ball speeds to that. They blew every other hybrid I hit out of the water in that category.

I'm picking up my tipped up THP UST shaft from the shop today, and I think I'll hit this one last time before I pull the trigger just to be sure. But I'm about 90-95% sure I'm going to be picking up a 3h and 4h from TMPO today.

No doubt it's good. I was able to get similar numbers from an xr 3h w/ px 6.0, but the r15 produced the highest by a few mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

So after thinking about this some more and comparing notes, I have discovered the following:

My 3h/4h are 21*/24* and 40.25"/39.75", whereas these are 19*/21* and 40.75"/40.25". So some of this extra distance is surely attributed to that. That being said, I still know there is more ball speed in these heads than in the J40's.

Now, however, I'm contemplating instead of going 3h/4h in these, I go 4h/5h (since they have essentially the same specs as my J40's) but just crank the loft down a degree. Between the extra ball speed/higher launch of the head and the 1* less loft, I think that would give me the numbers I want (i.e. around 220 with the 4h and around 205 with the 5h).

I need to test this hypothesis though. What I could do is just buy the 4h to start and see which way makes sense, then get either the 5 or the 3 depending on the gap.

What are you finding them for price wise by you? I was was wanting to grab a 4H and drop my 3H since the distance is too close to my 3W.

What are you finding them for price wise by you? I was was wanting to grab a 4H and drop my 3H since the distance is too close to my 3W.

In store at Pro Golf they're like $160, but way cheaper online if you're willing to go used. Anywhere from $60-70 for beat up ones to $110-120 ish for mint/excellent condition

Finally pulled the trigger on the 3h/4h from 3balls, since they are screaming cheap off there right now (got the pair for $154). Really excited to get these on the course and see if I get the same ridiculous results I've seen on the monitor.

Finally pulled the trigger on the 3h/4h from 3balls, since they are screaming cheap off there right now (got the pair for $154). Really excited to get these on the course and see if I get the same ridiculous results I've seen on the monitor.

I'm excited to hear what you think. I have been eyeing these for a while but never pulled the trigger!! Good luck!!

glad you found something, and here's to hoping it squeezes in perfectly.

glad you found something, and here's to hoping it squeezes in perfectly.

Based on monitor results, I think the gapping should be better than with the J40's, but only one way to know for sure.

The real benefit here (other than the ridiculously hot face) is the adjustability. Should allow me to fine tune nicely.

I think I'm starting to get these dialed in now. I had a pretty garbage round yesterday, but these two sticks were definitely one of a few bright spots. I only really hit one poor shot with them, and it was only hooked about 5 or so yards off the fairway - unfortunately I had the bad luck that it nailed a cart path and bounced hard into a tough spot. The others I hit high and and with great distance, mostly straight balls to slight draws. I love the versatility of the smaller head on these when I'm hitting off the deck or out of the rough, and the toe seems more forgiving on direction than past hybrids I've gamed (i.e., the hook isn't too bad out there).

The one thing I'm not sure on is the gaps. I need to get on a monitor and double check the spacing both between the 3h and the 4h, and the 4h and the 5i, and then adjust the hosels accordingly. I think that both may be shifted just a touch too far on the long side, so I may up the loft a degree for both.

Update on these. I'm likely taking the 3h out of the bag, because it's just not consistently much longer than the 4h. But the 4h is a beast. Consistently 210 carry which fills exactly the gap I have. Very easy to hit off both the turf and the tee, and it gets up in a hurry. I open the face slightly at address - as I do with my irons - and it typically yields a very straight ball or a little draw. The miss is typically a hook if I get quick or swing too hard, but typically that's very playable as well. Have hit a number of great shots with it already to get close to par 5's in 2 and recover from some crap drives, and it's my go to club off the tee when I need to hit it straight.

Loving it right now!

Update on these. I'm likely taking the 3h out of the bag, because it's just not consistently much longer than the 4h. But the 4h is a beast. Consistently 210 carry which fills exactly the gap I have. Very easy to hit off both the turf and the tee, and it gets up in a hurry. I open the face slightly at address - as I do with my irons - and it typically yields a very straight ball or a little draw. The miss is typically a hook if I get quick or swing too hard, but typically that's very playable as well. Have hit a number of great shots with it already to get close to par 5's in 2 and recover from some crap drives, and it's my go to club off the tee when I need to hit it straight.

Loving it right now!

210 carry with a 4h? jeez

Loving it right now!

I had a 19º and a 21º hybrid and did the same thing. I took the 19º out of the bag because it didn't really offer much that the 21º didn't. It was a touch longer off the tee but off the deck it was pretty much the same.

210 carry with a 4h? jeez

Strong like bull. :p Haha nah, keep in mind these are sim numbers, and calling it a 4h is kind of a misnomer, as it's 22* and the same shaft length as my previous 3h. But it fits the gap, so good deal!

I had a 19º and a 21º hybrid and did the same thing. I took the 19º out of the bag because it didn't really offer much that the 21º didn't. It was a touch longer off the tee but off the deck it was pretty much the same.

Exactly. I'm going to try a 5W in that spot because it creates a pretty big gap from 4h to 3W. Was getting 220-225 carry out of the XR16 5W I was hitting the other day.

I still freaking love my 4h set at 22*. Hit a ton of great position tee shots with it yesterday, working it both ways when needed. The highlight was on a 200 yard par 3, uphill and into the wind, where I hit my tee shot on a frozen rope and it ended up about 15 feet short giving a good birdie opportunity (although ended up with a par).

It's not the most forgiving hybrid I've ever had, but it's more than adequate and more than a long iron for sure. And it's very easy to hit high, low, left or right as needed. It's in the bag for a while I think.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Even though it's not this years model its new to me. Played my first round with the r15 4h today. Fit my gap perfectly at the 21* setting. This thing was a treat. Easy to hit and flew long and straight. Easy to shape around corners if needed as well. This is the best I've ever hit a hybrid and this one is gonna be in the bag for a while.

Back