PGA Tour Academy: Home Edition - THP Preview

I bought this set in march of 2013. I was regularly shooting in the low 100's. I've since moved from a low 80 on a good day to a low 90 on a bad day.

I can honestly say it has helped me a ton. I need real world golf lessons to fix a few issues with my longer clubs that cause me to have no confidence in them, but that's no fault of the videos or course work in the set

Knowing how much better I would play...I could honestly say I would have paid double for it, and ended up buying a second set to ship to my dad.

Not mention Lecuyer...is not horrible to look at while watching it either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

...Not mention Lecuyer...is not horrible to look at while watching it either.

Yeah, but she was really annoying. It was as if she just had to get some screen time in and would cut into one of the guys presentations on a particular skill to do so.

Yeah, but she was really annoying. It was as if she just had to get some screen time in and would cut into one of the guys presentations on a particular skill to do so.

lol yah. It was awkward a few times when you could tell the guys just wanted her to stop.

Just curious if anyone else is/was hitting behind the ball a lot in the impact drill, or am I just doing it wrong?

I'm not hitting very far behind it, but I can tell I'm not catching the ball first consistently.

I had to modify mine. I always seem to hit a little further back then what they claim. Probably something I should work on. It works out to basically 1 ball back then what they say i should be.

Just curious if anyone else is/was hitting behind the ball a lot in the impact drill, or am I just doing it wrong?

I'm not hitting very far behind it, but I can tell I'm not catching the ball first consistently.

I had the same issue when doing the slow version of this drill, felt like I couldn't get my weight shifted...full speed was a lot better. Focus on the second tee and it should be easier to get clean ball contact...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue when doing the slow version of this drill, felt like I couldn't get my weight shifted...full speed was a lot better. Focus on the second tee and it should be easier to get clean ball contact...

I found the same thing during practice. The slow shots are hard to hit anything solid with. I think the point is to exaggerate a particular portion of the swing in each drill. In this case, it's the impact position. So if you exaggerate a move while thinking about it, what you desire to do will be more natural during a swing when you are not actively thinking about it.

Impact position of right hand/wrist ( I am right handed ) is to be at an angle correct? Club shaft forward should help keep this angle. I have been hitting slightly behind the ball and robbing myself of distance. My guess is, if body position holds, that I am losing this angle and straightening out my wrist. Did I miss something in video because I don't recall a specific way or method to keep this angle.

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. In a few videos/lessons you will get to the pivot. This will help your body move forward during your swing which will get you making ball first contact.

In the mean time, follow their ball position guidelines for setting up your hitting station, and focus on making the back of your lead/left hand face the ball at impact while extending your right arm down towards the ball at impact while also keeping your right elbow near your right pocket during the downswing.

When you finish the program have someone video your swing and post it in the Swing Tips section for Tadashi/Freddie to critique and help you tweak.

Been a while since anyone has posted in here, so I will. My scores have been better somewhat, I am getting closer to breaking 100 and a lot of things have clicked. This in part with a pro and a couple of Panda tips have really helped my game.
I watched the lob and specialty shot video for the first time and it really brought light to what I was doing wrong and part of the reason why I bladed so many shots. The wider stance and open club face worked well and I pulled of fa couple good shots that I felt great about. The distance wasn't there as it's not a shot I work on. Range mats make it near impossible to pull off a lob shot.

Been a while since anyone has posted in here, so I will. My scores have been better somewhat, I am getting closer to breaking 100 and a lot of things have clicked. This in part with a pro and a couple of Panda tips have really helped my game.
I watched the lob and specialty shot video for the first time and it really brought light to what I was doing wrong and part of the reason why I bladed so many shots. The wider stance and open club face worked well and I pulled of fa couple good shots that I felt great about. The distance wasn't there as it's not a shot I work on. Range mats make it near impossible to pull off a lob shot.
Good post glad things are working out for you. I plan on getting back to this over the Winter. I didn't practice nearly enough this Spring and Summer I just played a whole lot. My actual rounds get cut down with school back in session so I have to make the rounds I do get to play count even more.

I really like the short game stuff on this series. It's helped me huge. I've abandoned the full swing stuff as I wasn't getting anywhere with that. I've got a good pro for that now.

Thats awesome Troy. Glad its working for you.

I really like the short game stuff on this series. It's helped me huge. I've abandoned the full swing stuff as I wasn't getting anywhere with that. I've got a good pro for that now.

Same here. What they teach you about the short game is spot on, and you can always go back and rewatch the lesson. Going to a par three course this weekend and I am only going to use my GW and 56 and just work on shot situations. Not worried about score, but looking for more of an extended on-course lesson. Hopefully I can get there when it's empty and really work on a lot of stuff.

Going to revisit my dvd's. Havnt played in roughly 6 months due to outside circumstances, when I was practicing at least 3 times a week and playing twice. Time to get back on with it. It really helped me before with building a routine, taking the guessing out of setting up etc.

Started the blue track about 2 weeks ago. I did the white track last winter and with no other lessons, my best score last year was 82, and my previous best the year before was 91. It greatly improved my setup, grip, posture, and mostly the way I practice. That being said, it hasn't completely got rid of my OTT swing. Watching video of my last round of the year, I regressed to that swing over 10 times (been doing it all my life so doesn't want to leave) during the round. But been working really hard on my indoor range, and hopefully by spring I'll be cured.... hopefully. Then my goal is to break 80, which 2 years ago I thought was impossible.
This is money well spent. But I will also leave with this piece of advice; Don't skip ahead! The lessons and practice routines are set up for the entire course over 8 weeks for a reason, if you do all the lessons in 1-2 sittings, its physically and mentally impossible for anyone to retain all or any of the curriculum as its a fact the human brain can retain only 7 +/- 2 items in our short term memory, and only way to retain that knowledge is through repetition, and rehearsal. If you skip ahead, you may as well save your money and watch you tube videos.
Some people are just looking for a few tips, but those people wouldn't, and probably shouldn't spend the money on this program.

Last edited:
Started the blue track about 2 weeks ago. I did the white track last winter and with no other lessons, my best score last year was 82, and my previous best the year before was 91. It greatly improved my setup, grip, posture, and mostly the way I practice. That being said, it hasn't completely got rid of my OTT swing. Watching video of my last round of the year, I regressed to that swing over 10 times (been doing it all my life so doesn't want to leave) during the round. But been working really hard on my indoor range, and hopefully by spring I'll be cured.... hopefully. Then my goal is to break 80, which 2 years ago I thought was impossible.
This is money well spent. But I will also leave with this piece of advice; Don't skip ahead! The lessons and practice routines are set up for the entire course over 8 weeks for a reason, if you do all the lessons in 1-2 sittings, its physically and mentally impossible for anyone to retain all or any of the curriculum as its a fact the human brain can retain only 7 +/- 2 items in our short term memory, and only way to retain that knowledge is through repetition, and rehearsal. If you skip ahead, you may as well save your money and watch you tube videos.
Some people are just looking for a few tips, but those people wouldn't, and probably shouldn't spend the money on this program.

I did the white track last year but honestly the thing that got me shooting in the 80s was proper lessons. I still had the OTT move after the track. Now, after lessons, I have developed a nice draw that I'm happy with. I'm continuing my lessons and working on weight shift. It took me a year of continuous practice and lessons to get my clubpath and clubface correct. I'm still working on swinging inside to outside. I think trying to sort out a full swing in a few months is not realistic.

I really like these DVDs for the short game stuff. It's really helped me and I continue to use their methods. That alone is worth the price of this quality package.

For the record, I'm a high handicapper who broke 100 for the first time last summer. I don't know if I buy the something for everyone selling point but this has helped me tremendously so far. I like how its organized and how it structures your practice. Alot of basics that I didnt know about that have change my swing and routine already. I know what to focus on while practicing instead of just hitting balls. If you are a beginner/high handicapper, I would give my recommendation.

My problem right now is that I am practicing mostly indoors and I cant really full swing in my apartment. I can putt and chip but thats about it. My basketball coaching season just ended yesterday, so I will probably be hitting some indoor balls in the gym before first period. When spring time comes, I will probably start up the 8 week practice plan again before thinking about getting lessons.

Finally got round to starting the program properly and have been sticking to it religiously.

went on the course, and my first tee was awful as practicing all the small swing chipping and impact zone etc seemed to have thrown my full swing out. So decided there and then to use the round as a continued practice session and took half swings and practiced compressing the ball and taking divots in front.... Wow! It was fantastic, the feeling of the ball accelerating from the club head was amazing :)

practiced the chipa and hinge and holds as well.... Distance was a challenge as I was discovering as I went along.... But can honestly say that that was the most enjoyable game I have had for a long time... And feels like I am still improving too!!!

still 5 more weeks to go, but so far so good.

As soon as the weather looks like it will hold out long enough, I am going to have to break my DVDs back out. I was playing decent golf when I was on their practice cycle and then got lazy and then hurt and had to take 9 months off from playing.

Anybody a little confused at the order of the DVDs versus the order in the lesson book? After the full swing lesson (is that #5?) the DVDs do short swing (toss shot, pitching) but the book saves that for later. Kinda odd.

Last edited:
Anybody a little confused at the order of the DVDs versus the order in the lesson book? After the full swing lesson (is that #5?) the DVDs do short swing (toss shot, pitching) but the book saves that for later. Kinda odd.

I never paid too much attention to the lesson and practice books. I just go to the range with the lesson plan on the white or blue track and work on that mixed in with a couple other things to help my swing.

Me and My Golf visit the PGA Tour Academy

bumping this thread for anyone not aware of PGA Academy ... and to say I'm selling my set in the Marketplace.

Good bump. I will do the entire thing over again now that I will have some time with the reduced work hours. Hope to be done with both track by the fall.

This seems like a good tool for someone that doesnt have time to go to the range often

Back