How to correct head dip on downswing

mizzoujohn

Reaction score
Handicap
I think that is the main thing creating fat or thin shots for me. What is the best way to correct that? Or any other Swing tips as well. Thank you

https://vimeo.com/157333922

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is the main thing creating fat or thin shots for me. What is the best way to correct that? Or any other Swing tips as well. Thank you

Your head doesn't actually dip, per say. Look at there your head is at right before you start your back swing (24 second mark). Then, stop it right at impact (26 second mark) and you'll see that you head is actually where is started or a bit higher. Yes, you have a dip on you takeaway, but when you start your downswing, it looks like you have an over the top move and a cast flip. In connection with you body getting taller, and those two moves, caused the shot we see. All of these things are all very common issues with a majority of beginning or high handicap golfers. All can be fixed with some practice.

You are dumping the angle on your wrist and club way early.

You are dumping the angle on your wrist and club way early.

Exactly - head should dip a little as you lower into the shot. Fat/thin is due to unstable low point caused by loss of control of the right arm. Early acceleration of the hands is the culprit.

Thanks for all the info. So you mean the wrists should stay bent further into downswing?
Any thing to think about to achieve that?
Just went again and seem to be getting worse. Ha.

One thing I do to help get my timing going during warm up is to grab the club by the head and take some easy swings so that I only get the "whoosh" sound at the bottom of the swing near the impact zone. Helps let me know I am in tempo releasing at the bottom and not casting that would cause that "whoosh" sound on the downswing.

Thanks for all the info. So you mean the wrists should stay bent further into downswing?
Any thing to think about to achieve that?
Just went again and seem to be getting worse. Ha.

Yes. I struggle badly with this as well. Have gotten way better though not perfect. Here is me 3-4 months apart. Much better but still not enough. My swing thought is to make the club feel weightless at the top when I start the downswing. This delays my timing so my natural swing feel doesn't change much but I don't dump the angle as soon.

castingbeforeafter_zpsvcgxlafd.jpg

John I took at look at your swing and you do not have an early release and you do not have a head dip. What you have is a back swing that is way to far inside and is causing you to have to flip at the ball at contact. If we were to get the club head moving back away from the ball on the straighter path you would not have this issue.

The club head should move straight back away from the ball. Imagine a straight line that bisects the golf ball. You want to try to keep the club head on this line as long as possible before it starts moving to the top. This will create space by keeping the club in front of you. With your current swing you are too far inside and the club is getting stuck behind you, hence the flip.

Thanks everyone, will go to the range and see how it goes with these thoughts in mind

Back