Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Getting my first round in with these irons, this week. I am very curious how they preform. I love the irons.

Its funny, I had the same revelation again just while in a practice session. I lean towards a smaller profile in my heart, I always have, and I always will, I truly believe I play them more consistently (which I know makes NO sense and I'll be called crazy for) but these always make me forget that. The topline is rolled so that it appears much smaller to the eye, heel-to-toe they are in range with some designs always credited for being compact (AP2), and the sole width is just right. Add to it they sound/feel fantastic and the ball-flight off of them is just ludicrous for me.

I love these irons. Seriously.

They do appear to be much smaller than the are. Even to the point where I was worried and didn't think I had the game to play them but man do they perform. I am the same way with ball flight. The ball flight I get with them is addicting

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I've never once looked down at one of these and thought "man they're big". I'm usually one that's turned off by seeing the cavity at address and you kind of can with the 5i but it strangely doesn't bother me at all

I've never once looked down at one of these and thought "man they're big". I'm usually one that's turned off by seeing the cavity at address and you kind of can with the 5i but it strangely doesn't bother me at all

I like the 7-9i on the Apex CF but after 6i the offset and size just look horrible for me. The results are great but looks are horrible

I like the 7-9i on the Apex CF but after 6i the offset and size just look horrible for me. The results are great but looks are horrible

That's interesting because to me these are on the less offset side of GI irons I've seen. I guess that's why more options are a good thing for consumers

That's interesting because to me these are on the less offset side of GI irons I've seen. I guess that's why more options are a good thing for consumers

Exactly. When I tested these the results were great. Only complaint was the offset. The guy running the fitting said "I have other options if it bothers you". Was nice to not be stuck with only one option. Makes it a lot easier to swing what I like and enjoy it rather than swinging only what's available and not trusting it

To echo PhillyV, these irons were quite a bit less offset than my old rocketbladez, and looked similar to a set of ap2s that I had tried a few months before I was fit for these. I think some might have a problem with the offset as they are comparing them to a 'players iron' as that is what they remind me of going on looks alone.

They are.

A little range time with these yesterday, and can't get over the forgiveness, both low on the face, and towards the toe. Hit a 5i where 1/4 of the ball was off grooves toward the toe... only lost 6 yards compared to a solid strike, here is the data below.
5adf26b0e799aa8993af6e2be1d4e581.jpg

4a788bb51a9702ca0f49742c881d8cd7.jpg

Very impressed with the cupface tech

EDIT: like an idiot I switched the toggle from ball speed to smash... that top ball speed is 122 to keep the data consistent

I had a really good time with these irons today. Especially the mid irons. And like Phil said, the look at address is standard. Never a negative thought when looking down. I love the consistency in ball flights off the tee and off the deck. And I'm not sure how you couldn't be in love with the distance.

The forgiveness might get over looked but it's second to none. The addition of the forgiveness factors allows for aggressive passes at the ball. If that's not your game then these will except smooth deliveries as well.

I spent some time really gathering my distances with these at the range this morning and have been incorporating the changes I've gathered with my recent lessons and I am hitting the ball higher and further than ever before. 4i was carrying 230, which had my 5i adjusting to right at 220. I was going for a 187 flag with my 7i and kept over shooting. Changed to the 8i expecting to see a bit of a drop without the cup face, but found myself right at 180 with around 3-5 yrd rollout!!! (turf greens)

The added distance has been seen from driver to 60* with some of the new things I've been doing from my lessons, but I find myself just giggling sometimes when I hit shots like that with these irons.

They are just silly good.

Still finding my distances with these but a solid range session this weekend in preparation for Club Clash, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. These irons feel so good when they're flushed and don't kill your hands on reasonable misses. Been practicing hitting a little fade with these as well, with decent results. Not something I've ever really tried before. Not saying it's the irons themselves, but after three rounds and a handful of range sessions, the fact that I'm this comfortable with them is pretty awesome. Looking forward to some awesome golf with these this year.

I'm just reliving my last round and the one thing that sticks out is how great the set AW is. This has taken over as my favorite club in the bag. The feel and spin is so good for both full swing shots as well as around the green. This may sound weird but the weight of the club just feels right. I know this has been said several times in here and everyone is spot on.

I'm just reliving my last round and the one thing that sticks out is how great the set AW is. This has taken over as my favorite club in the bag. The feel and spin is so good for both full swing shots as well as around the green. This may sound weird but the weight of the club just feels right. I know this has been said several times in here and everyone is spot on.

you are spot on, such a great AW, and more versatile than I could have hoped for

Totally agree with this. So much so I even thought about the sand wedge.

Was able to get to the range today and again i am loving just about everything with these irons. I am so happy they are in the bag. I hit about 8 perfect 5i in a row that just felt so buttery soft

I'm pretty excited to get them back in the bag. They will be making the trip to club clash with me.

Spent some practice time chipping with the AW yesterday. Can definitely see it becoming one of my gotos.

I'm pretty excited to get them back in the bag. They will be making the trip to club clash with me.

I think there's going to be quite a few flavors of CF 16s at Club Clash!

2 rounds in now that these have been bent back to spec. Just that much better. Man I just love theses clubs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

First let me say that these irons are beautiful and I wish all irons were this good looking. In the hitting cage I judge irons by two things, how they feel at impact in the sweet spot, and on mis-hits. I just returned from Dick's where I tried these irons. I really wanted to like them; I've owned Callaway equipment and I still use one of their drivers. I use the same Recoil shafts in my current set of game improvement irons as are used with the Apex irons. Unfortunately I really didn't like the feel of the Apex irons at impact and that is a deal-breaker for me. I didn't get a chance to try the Apex Pros. Then on a lark, I tried the Taylormade PSi irons. I realize it's not fair to compare game improvement irons to player's irons but this should give you some idea of what I think is "better". I tried the PSi irons because they use the same KBS shafts I have in my player's irons. I've never tried Taylormade irons before, and I liked these much more than the Callaway's but I still did not like them as much as what I'm using now. The golf world seems to be in love with the Apex irons, and I was too until I hit some balls with them. Now I think the Apex irons are over-hyped. Don't believe me, try them for yourself.

First let me say that these irons are beautiful and I wish all irons were this good looking. In the hitting cage I judge irons by two things, how they feel at impact in the sweet spot, and on mis-hits. I just returned from Dick's where I tried these irons. I really wanted to like them; I've owned Callaway equipment and I still use one of their drivers. I use the same Recoil shafts in my current set of game improvement irons as are used with the Apex irons. Unfortunately I really didn't like the feel of the Apex irons at impact and that is a deal-breaker for me. I didn't get a chance to try the Apex Pros. Then on a lark, I tried the Taylormade PSi irons. I realize it's not fair to compare game improvement irons to player's irons but this should give you some idea of what I think is "better". I tried the PSi irons because they use the same KBS shafts I have in my player's irons. I've never tried Taylormade irons before, and I liked these much more than the Callaway's but I still did not like them as much as what I'm using now. The golf world seems to be in love with the Apex irons, and I was too until I hit some balls with them. Now I think the Apex irons are over-hyped. Don't believe me, try them for yourself.

I don't think they are over hyped, because they are beautiful looking irons, that feel great and offer good performance. But I was the same. I actually ended up being recommended them with the steel XP shaft, but when I decided I wanted graphite's they didn't work at all for me with the recoils or the other graphite shaft I tried (can't remember which one).

I haven't tried those yet, but I will for some more perspective on Taylormade. Thanks.

I'm glad you found an iron that ticked the important boxes for you. If I may ask, what was it about the feel at impact that you disliked? And also, was this with the long irons with cupface or the scoring irons?

I will admit that, for me, the long irons have a more 'solid' feel/sound than the scoring, but I rather enjoy it. Of the sets I've played (TA3, MP53, rocketbladez) I feel that this is the best blend of performance, looks, and feel that I have gamed to date.

Back