Oban Hashimoto - Review Thread

Ok just got back from the range. I hit about 20 iron shots to warm up and then made my way up the bag. When i got to driver i kept it set at what it was set for during my fitting. 8* Draw bias. The first handful of swings felt awful and i was missing all over the face. So now i know that not only am i trying to figure out a completely different shaft, my swing is in shambles. I took the loft up to 9* and started seeing a lot of improvement in dispersion. I was still missing high and to the toe side every now and then but even there it didnt kill me. I started going through a routine like i would on the course and saw some of my best results with the Hashimoto I've ever seen. Still not as consistent as my Rogue, but close. Close enough that i will keep this set up for now and see how it goes on the course.
You're basically describing my driver swing during my fitting. It was awful, so while I was "fit" into the rogue, it was pretty much an educated guess because I wasn't swinging worth a darn. I've found that the hashimoto launches higher for me than the rogue, which is nice for me so I don't have to focus as much on swinging up to get a nice high ball flight. I've been extremely pleased with the results I've been getting from the hashimoto paired with my GBB that it's hard to think about putting the rogue back in, even just to try.

Played 9 holes after work and had a chance to hit real golf balls with this shaft in my BBA 815. I am starting to get used it and hit some pretty good drives, nothing really bad. My impression is that this favors and rewards tempo swings. Impacts feel solid. Ball flight is medium and roll seems better than the stock speeder shaft. I would say carry distances have been similar. So far I like it.

Took this out to the range today to compare it to my other two shafts from the Grandaddy. I will say that this one feels like the easiest to load, and the smoothest through transition of the three. It also appeared to have a lower kick point than the rogue, and similar to slightly lower than the matrix. According to the VCSC100, I was generating 1-2mph more club head speed with the OBAN than with the rogue, and 0-1mph more than the matrix... it claimed that I was getting 6ish more yards of carry, but I'm not sure if I believe that as the VCSC100 doesn't measure launch angle or spin. Perhaps I can try them all out at golfusa to get some more reliable data. I will say that it feels amazing, and it seems to launch effortlessly. I felt it was most comparable to the matrix black tie with a slightly higher launch, and about equal dispersion to my eye. Can't wait to get this out for a live round.

I'm starting to think the Hashimoto and I weren't meant for each other. It's odd because I love the loading and kick feel it gives at Impact but I just can't seem to get consistent results with it.

I'm starting to think the Hashimoto and I weren't meant for each other. It's odd because I love the loading and kick feel it gives at Impact but I just can't seem to get consistent results with it.

Honeymoon period is over? That stinks

Honeymoon period is over? That stinks

Eh, to be fair the honeymoon never really started lol there's promise because I love the load feeling at impact and I won't give up on it just yet

I love the load/kick feel too. Just not the results I'm seeing, lol. But, I'm taking my Hashimoto out also and going back to what I was fit for (Fuji Speeder 665 Evo II). Had a range session this morning where I compared the two. Shots were so much better with the Speeder. I was surprised how much. Speeder is in for awhile. I won't give up 100% on the Oban, b/c it looks so bad a$$ in the GBB. But the results aren't there for me, so in the words of Eric the Actor, it's "bye for now".

Where is the inconsistency? Is it launch, carry, spin?

Where is the inconsistency? Is it launch, carry, spin?

Yes? Lol it's a little bit of everything. If it was just one thing I would be able to work with it but I just can't seem to hit two decent drives in a row with it.

Yes? Lol it's a little bit of everything. If it was just one thing I would be able to work with it but I just can't seem to hit two decent drives in a row with it.

I gotcha, but could it be winter rust or mental? Your other shaft you were fit for can you put two good drives together?

I gotcha, but could it be winter rust or mental? Your other shaft you were fit for can you put two good drives together?

When I switch back to the Rogue I/O it's like I have a completely different club in my hands. Could be winter rust for sure which is why I haven't pulled the plug completely

When I switch back to the Rogue I/O it's like I have a completely different club in my hands. Could be winter rust for sure which is why I haven't pulled the plug completely

I get what your saying. I'm the same way with any Fuji Speeder. I just don't get along with it like others do. It's mental I'm sure, but I'm just not comfortable and wondered if this might be a little of the same

Hashimoto is an experiment for me. I have never been driver fitted but wanted to start to build my own "database" of experience with shafts. I am going to keep playing the Hashimoto. In my limited experience I think it has an interesting combination of precision and feel. Even though the tip has some feel, it is fairly stout throughout the rest of the profile, to my hands. I get more feedback for mishits and "on the screws" strikes.

Does anyone know how this would compare to the purple? Or even the kuro kage xt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how this would compare to the purple? Or even the kuro kage xt?

It spins more and launches higher for me than the purple did, I've got no time with the xt to compare sadly.

IMO, its a solid offering, but it definitely isn't the best fit for me, while the feel is nice I battle dispersion with it pretty fiercely at times compared to the Rogue i/o and the PX LZ HC I typically game in the GBB head.

Thanks for the info, I really like my purple so I will probably stick with it. Need to spend a bit more time with the xt to really tell which one works better for me

It spins more and launches higher for me than the purple did, I've got no time with the xt to compare sadly.

IMO, its a solid offering, but it definitely isn't the best fit for me, while the feel is nice I battle dispersion with it pretty fiercely at times compared to the Rogue i/o and the PX LZ HC I typically game in the GBB head.

Ya this is me too. I enjoy the feel but I'm literally all over the place with it

After putting the Rogue in tonight, I'm feeling certain that the Hashimoto is a better fit for me. It feels a ton better compared to the rogue, and the results with the Hashimoto are much more consistent. I know none of this is technical, and I have no numbers to back any of this up, but from what I've observed, I'm very glad I've got the Hashimoto to plug into my GBB; it's a great looking combo too!

I went to the range today during lunch, and when I swing my swing, this thing continues to perform.

I still don't totally feel comfortable with a driver in my hand due to all the weight loss I have had. I almost guide my swing because I am worried about getting too quick, so I am really hitting the range trying to dial that in. When everything syncs I up I am seeing a nice mid-high launch that seems to just keep going.

I went to the range today during lunch, and when I swing my swing, this thing continues to perform.

I still don't totally feel comfortable with a driver in my hand due to all the weight loss I have had. I almost guide my swing because I am worried about getting too quick, so I am really hitting the range trying to dial that in. When everything syncs I up I am seeing a nice mid-high launch that seems to just keep going.

Who are you, David Duval?! :D you get skinny and lose your swing. You have more speed, embrace it and swing away. Do get wild but embrace the the space created with your weight loss.

Interesting. I am benching the hashimoto because of dispersion. I gave it the college try. I like the feel and expect it is a great shaft for many, just not for me right now. Good learning experience. Having a couple of shafts with the same driver (on course for more than one round) is starting to help me ID what I need and want in a shaft. I am still looking for a new driver head and will give this a go with whatever I pick up. This shaft has so many good qualities, and I would like to see if I can make it work.

Well, I'm a little bummed today. I went to golf USA to test out the xr16 and xr16 pro against my gbb. I also wanted to see if my OBAN shaft was giving me the distance that the VCSC100 was showing. While the 1-3mph increase in ball speed was accurate, so was my fear about the backspin. It isn't anything astronomical but I was averaging around 2900RPM, and this yielded about equal carry and less rollout than the shaft I was fit for at ECPC. It is a very strong offering, just not quite right for me.

Well, I'm a little bummed today. I went to golf USA to test out the xr16 and xr16 pro against my gbb. I also wanted to see if my OBAN shaft was giving me the distance that the VCSC100 was showing. While the 1-3mph increase in ball speed was accurate, so was my fear about the backspin. It isn't anything astronomical but I was averaging around 2900RPM, and this yielded about equal carry and less rollout than the shaft I was fit for at ECPC. It is a very strong offering, just not quite right for me.

This is what I am afraid of as well. My DBB was giving 2500-2600 backspin with the diamana but it is such a low line drive. The Oban looks better in flight but may not be better overall. Haven't seen numbers yet

This is what I am afraid of as well. My DBB was giving 2500-2600 backspin with the diamana but it is such a low line drive. The Oban looks better in flight but may not be better overall. Haven't seen numbers yet
It's weird, as I seem to hit the center of the club face more often with this shaft than my other two, I just seem to know where the club head will be, maybe I need to investigate an 04 purple

It's weird, as I seem to hit the center of the club face more often with this shaft than my other two, I just seem to know where the club head will be, maybe I need to investigate an 04 purple

What's the center of the face????

Haha so many choices, so little time

Back