PING G Crossover - THP Review Thread

Two range sessions in the book with yesterday being the one that progress was really made.

The model I have is the 3 witch is 18°. Supposedly a club that will replace my 7 wood, which for me is the GBB Heavenwood. Comparing the two, it likely won't be replacing that club. Things that really stood out to me with this club are the following:

Spin - seemed very low to me, just above driver spin for me. Except I was unable to get the ball up in the air high enough with enough ball speed to take any kind of advantage of it.

Distance - 7 wood was longer, without question. Now it was cold out yesterday, sub 45 so perhaps warmer temps I can get more out of it in the near future.

Flight - lower flight, as mentioned in the spin part, I had issues getting this to fly high enough to get any strong type of yardage from it. Perhaps a stronger swinger than I would be able to take more advantage of this design.

Sound - Sounded more like an iron to me than a hybrid. Felt more like an iron at contact as well. Funny how they are related.

Tomorrow is sim league so I will be interested to see what kind of flight and numbers I see in there. Will get there early to try and compare side by side with 7 would and should be able to see ball flight differences. Overall for me, at this point, this club is kind of a swing and miss for my game. I can tell it has it's merits and will work well for some, perhaps stronger swingers than I.

How do you think this would match up against a standard (not strong/long) 7w? I'm guessing probably still shorter, based on my time with the 4. I think I was carrying that club about 185, and on the same monitor I was carrying the 7i from the G set anywhere from 165-170. So, not a good fit for my bag. I do like the profile though.

How do you think this would match up against a standard (not strong/long) 7w? I'm guessing probably still shorter, based on my time with the 4. I think I was carrying that club about 185, and on the same monitor I was carrying the 7i from the G set anywhere from 165-170. So, not a good fit for my bag. I do like the profile though.
I'm thinking still shorter in terms of carry. I know the other day I just had trouble getting the ball height up near that of my 7 wood. Even with a normal 7 I'm not sure the flight would come down as much as needed. We will see, I'm hopeful tonight will give be some great info.

I'm thinking still shorter in terms of carry. I know the other day I just had trouble getting the ball height up near that of my 7 wood. Even with a normal 7 I'm not sure the flight would come down as much as needed. We will see, I'm hopeful tonight will give be some great info.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

And this club is actually why I'm firmly in the "pro-tech" camp when it comes to looking at clubs. I hit this outside and would have sworn this was the flight I wanted - "penetrating" ball flight, and all that. When I got on the monitor, I was well below that ~100 ft or so apex I'm used to in my irons. I was actually hitting the G series iron higher, which along with the stock lie angle (blue) sort of jives with my thought that while this is a "G" club, it's more for the folks playing the i series clubs.

Going to demo this one tomorrow. Definitely some mixed reviews in here. I prefer this type of "hybrid" rather than the more fairway wood shaped ones. Going to test out the Apex hybrid as well. We'll see which one prevails. Was really hoping this one was just going to be an updated and better looking G20 type of hybrid, but sounds like its not teh same type of club at all.

Went and hit it today. It looked like I expected it to look, which was fine, but was very different performance wise than I had hoped. It was harder to hit than I expected, and lower launching. Seems to me this would be a better club for higher swing speeds, and lower handicappers. I hit the Apex right after it, and though they are slightly different clubs, the Apex hybrid blew this one out of the water for me. Was really hoping to like this one, like I said before, I really hoped it was an updated G20, but totally different.

Went and hit it today. It looked like I expected it to look, which was fine, but was very different performance wise than I had hoped. It was harder to hit than I expected, and lower launching. Seems to me this would be a better club for higher swing speeds, and lower handicappers. I hit the Apex right after it, and though they are slightly different clubs, the Apex hybrid blew this one out of the water for me. Was really hoping to like this one, like I said before, I really hoped it was an updated G20, but totally different.

that's pretty spot on with my first thoughts too. Which # did you hit?

that's pretty spot on with my first thoughts too. Which # did you hit?

I hit the 4 with the blue graphite shaft. Shaft also seemed very long to me. No idea what they are spec wise, but I remember thinking that when I looked down at it. I will be very interested to see how this club sells. Just did not seem like a good transition for "G" type players. Think they would be better served with the regular G hybrid personally.

If Ping is listening, next year, please just give me a better looking/improved G20 hybrid, with those launch conditions.

Curious to see how this one works for you over time Dean. I tried a DHy out in the 5I spot a while back because I wanted some more forgiveness, and it just didn't do me any favors. I'd love to have something a little more forgiving, but not quite a full on hybrid in that spot. Will look for one of these to demo next time I'm out at the local shop.

I hit the 18 degree 3 yesterday. Seems like a different beast than the 4. Granted all they had was a stiff flex demo and I play R flex. Had a hard time getting a good flight on it. I'll just stick with the 4 cross over which I hit fine and play a 5 wood in that 18-19 degree gap.

I hit the 4 with the blue graphite shaft. Shaft also seemed very long to me. No idea what they are spec wise, but I remember thinking that when I looked down at it. I will be very interested to see how this club sells. Just did not seem like a good transition for "G" type players. Think they would be better served with the regular G hybrid personally.

If Ping is listening, next year, please just give me a better looking/improved G20 hybrid, with those launch conditions.

it's funny you say that about the shaft length, because with the 3 I got the feeling that it was overly long too. I wonder if that's because of the iron look to the face, because I know my heavenwood shaft is long and my last 3H shaft was also longer. But I had that same feeling.

Interesting club. Not real sure what I think of these. Will have to see them in person.

it's funny you say that about the shaft length, because with the 3 I got the feeling that it was overly long too. I wonder if that's because of the iron look to the face, because I know my heavenwood shaft is long and my last 3H shaft was also longer. But I had that same feeling.

Good point about shaft length / iron look. Obviously hybrids are always longer in the shaft than corresponding irons, but this one just "felt" long when you looked down at it, which also made it feel harder to hit. To me anyway.

Im sure like with all clubs, some guys will really like it, but this one wasn't for me despite high hopes when I heard about it.

There is 0 chance I could hit the 3 well. Good luck with that one :act-up:

PING G Crossover - THP Review Thread

this gets another showing tonight. Hoping I see a little more out of it than I did on Sunday. I'm going to add that while it might not be the club for my bag, it doesn't mean it's a bad club. Just one that after some range time, has shown it probably wouldn't win a spot in my bag. Still testing to go on though and that continues tonight.
I wouldn't mind another crack at it. I only swung yours once, and I LOVED the look of that shot, but it definitely launched lower than how I hit my heavenwood (7 ish wood). I'd be curious to hit them side by side for sure.

It won't be the prettiest club out on the course this year....

I wouldn't mind another crack at it. I only swung yours once, and I LOVED the look of that shot, but it definitely launched lower than how I hit my heavenwood (7 ish wood). I'd be curious to hit them side by side for sure.

I actually think this club might work well for you. You put a bit more spin on the ball than I do, so you'd probably get the carry you need out of it.

I've ordered the Crossover #4 with the Alta 70 stiff shaft yesterday. It worked really good for me from the tee especially on tighter and shorter par 4 holes.

I've ordered the Crossover #4 with the Alta 70 stiff shaft yesterday. It worked really good for me from the tee especially on tighter and shorter par 4 holes.

the best shots I hit with it yesterday were off the tee( the 3). I'd be interested in trying the 5 in the future, but the 3 has no place in my bag. Compared to something like a 5 of 7 wood, it's just not even up for debate.

I got to hit this a few times during the round yesterday. For me, the 3x (that's right, x for crossover) is just way too low spinning for me. I will agree with ddec that it starts to become an interesting club off the tee, and I might want to spend more time with the 4. The first ball I hit with it was on a sharp dogleg par 4 - the ball ended up getting way out there, but the ground was pretty hard, and I can't say I carried the ball as far as I did the 588 hybrid - the ball had that "fall out of the air" look coming down that I'll get if I don't put any spin on the ball.

I do like the look at address, I just wish it performed more like the old G series hybrids, as I was a fan of the "beefed up G series" look.

It looks too much like a long iron to me. My brain would be screaming to help it into the air which I don't seem to do with a regular hybrid. Just me!!

I like this club, but it didn't like me. 120 yard worm burners even when the contact felt good. The hybrid worked better for me.

I like this club, but it didn't like me. 120 yard worm burners even when the contact felt good. The hybrid worked better for me.

have issues getting it high in the air? I know I did on a consistent basis.

I couldn't get it up high enough to carry any distance... I could however get it to roll like a 3 wood. I was hoping it would be a GMax 3 iron for me, but the 3H worked a lot better for carry and stopping

I couldn't get it up high enough to carry any distance... I could however get it to roll like a 3 wood. I was hoping it would be a GMax 3 iron for me, but the 3H worked a lot better for carry and stopping
Pretty similar to what I saw. I'd like to try it in a 5 Crossover head. But the 3 was just too inconsistent for me in terms of height and distance.

I hit the 5 Crossover at the local Dicks sporting goods. Found it to be a nice club but was useless are far as the gaping in my clubs with the GMax. However, it did go pretty well to what a 5 iron would be expected for my swing. Flight was low.

Nice writeup ddec, your thoughts on the bump and run aspect of this club are one thing that I actually never considered. I know using a hybrid for long bump and runs when you've got a lot of green to cover is a good shot to have in your bag, but I've never tried due to my inability to get along with a hybrid. This club definitely intrigues me all around due to my constant battles with hybrids, but I'd definitely go for it in my 4 slot if I took the chance.

Back