How man of you on the site are members of golf courses?

I have at least 10 courses within 30 minutes drive of me and scrounge off mates who are members there for the cheaper tee times. It also means my handicap is pretty accurate for a lot of courses.
I don't get to play every weekend, or sometimes every month so it doesn't make sense for me to get one.

I joined a club 25 years ago and when it closed three years ago, I joined a very expensive club. Daughter had finished college ,mortgage was paid, so why not. Instead of paying $200 per month, I now pay $4000 a year and ponyed up $9,000 to join. Best money I ever spent. Yes there are some snotty snobs around, but with 1500 members I can find better people to play with.

The biggest advantage is the three world class courses, regular competitions where I can meet new people or play with old mates, and matches against other clubs where I can play top courses for little cost. And I play more often, and I practise more often.

I’m a member at two local public courses, sadly, one is closed right now looking for a buyer.

The big reason I did it is it just saved me money in the long run with as much as I play.

Now, I’m pushing to join an area CC soon, and that’s as much about the social aspects as it is the great course and practice facilities.

I am a member of a local public course. I pay $600 for unlimited golf. I pay another $600 for unlimited cart use. For $1,200 I can play all the golf I want. I'm pretty sure that I got my money's worth last year. Another thing I liked about being a member is I can go out after work, grab a cart, and just practice. I can play a certain hole over and over, I can just go play three or four holes if I want. It has been well worth it for me.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I have a membership that gives unlimited play on 2 courses with cart fee included in the monthly $165.00 (I don't play one of them a lot as it is always packed). We also get unlimited access to the range and discounts to the grill. As long as a play at least 4 times a month and have at least one range session I come out a head. I usually play at least 6 times a month and a few range sessions so it has been a win for me so far.

I am...for the time being. GOlf game needs to turn around seriously for it to continue

I have a public course in my backyard. I joined so I can go out there anytime I please and hit balls or play a few holes, etc.

I have a membership to our local municipal course. Really works out as there's where I have my league and also where we play pretty much every Sunday morning....not to mention the many other random rounds. But it's certainly different than being a member at a private course.

How man of you on the site are members of golf courses?

I’ve had a private membership for the last 8 years, mostly because I like faster play and the better conditions of a private course. In California the slow play was so rampant that I didn’t have the patience for it and my number of rounds had dwindled until I joined a private club. After joining a private club my number of rounds each year more than doubled. When I moved to MN last June it was an easy decision to join my current club because three of my long time friends were already members, one of whom I played about 800 rounds with in my 20’s.

The last couple weeks I’ve been hitting the indoor simulators a few days each week and my daughter just had her first of a series of 12 lessons yesterday after school. She’s getting excited for the high school golf season that starts next week. I love the fact that she plays for free on my membership as she is likely to be on the course a few days each week all summer. They have a great junior golf program that runs for 8 weeks where she will get to play in a match each week. Between the two of us we should log a couple hundred rounds this year.

Here she is playing the short par 3 at Pebble on the simulator after her lesson yesterday.

b23168804ba0db98693a31559b50e317.jpg

Last edited:
I have been a member of either the little CC in my town or the course in the next town over. The thing here in KS though is it is very inexpensive. I paid $750 for a year for my CC membership and the other course is only $35 a month. Both are nice 9 hole courses, 4 tee boxes each and in very good shape for what you pay. I do play maybe 5-6 other course consistently beside those home courses.

We have a pretty sweet deal here where we pay $80/month for a family membership and have access to 2 courses in town that we can play for free and probably another 10-12 within an hour that are either free or a minimum cost. It's a fantastic deal price wise but the downside is that it's an extremely popular plan and the courses are always busy. Unless you tee off first thing in the morning pace of play can be brutal.

Ive been a member for several years and love it. Being a resort course with three 9's I can't say that I ever get board with the course or the people. Its constantly changing. in addition to that, the staff is like family at this point and no one presents themselves as snooty. Out of all the members I can only think of 2 that I will actively avoid even being near because of [INSERT EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE BAD ABOUT A PERSONALITY HERE].

Member at a CC. Love it

I'm a member at the club near my house and its a great deal. They have a "young professional" membership for those under 35 and its half the cost of the regular membership. Great value for me for as much as I play in the season!

Also enjoy playing in weekend games with fellow members.

I am not a member of any course. I would like to, but with 2 small kids I can't justify spending the money right now with all their activities and such on the weekends. So for now I just pay the league fee for Thursdays and try to bounce around to different courses once or twice a month and look for groupon deals.

I'm a member at our municipal course. Ours is an unlimited golf/range membership, so it makes it easy for me to cart to the hole closest to my house and start there providing everything is open and I don't jump in front of anyone. Its definitely about convenience first, but I have played in a lot of cool members games that I've enjoyed. Our course has a deal worked out with several of the other courses in our area where members of one can play at the other course for a discounted (or sometimes even free) rate, but I don't actually take advantage of that often enough.

I'm a member of a club. I prefer it for the speed of play, care members take of the facility, lack of crowds and the members are all good people. (it is a golf club, not a country club)

Way too expensive compared to public, but I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, so WTH.

I'm in the process of joining a CC locally. I have a few friends that are members there and I've played a few times and it's in great condition. Plus it's a Donald Ross course! In any event, there was a discounted initiation fee so I jumped on the chance. I like the idea of being able to get a few holes in after work , using the range, or even the short game area that is available.

I am a member of a public course, but the price is so cheap it's hard to pass up.

Member at a formerly private country club & now semi-private golf club.
Private was great, play anytime & members took care of the course. Semi-private kinda sucks, the public doesn’t care about the course, play slow as Christmas & general just clog up the place. But I play too much to justify dropping my membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am. $200 a month for unlimited golf, grass range, pitching range, short course, practice greens, gym membership, and no food and drink minimum.

I belong to a lower end private club (compared to Oak Hill, Monroe Country Club, etc - the higher end ones here).

I don't try to "justify the cost" because you never will.

It's all personal. You have to decided if the perks you get are worth it. For me this is what does it for me :

- no tee times - show up and play (obviously avoiding events / leagues, etc)
- I leave my clubs on site and have a locker - so I can show up without any prep and all of my gear is there
- solid driving range and separate practice areas for putting, chipping, pitching, bunker play
- pool for the family
- decent restaurant for the occasional lunch / dinner
- very knowledgeable head pro for lessons
- league
- large variety of tournaments

along with a few other minor things that I enjoy. for me this makes the cost worth it - even if I'm not playing enough - I can still use the facilities enough.

Member at a semi-private. Was $225 or so for unlimited golf, 7 days per week. Rates went up this time around so now I'm paying the same amount but for just Mon-Fri.

I've only played 2 rounds on the weekend in the last 3 or 4 years anyway. When I do again, I like to play a different courses anyway from time to time and Golfnow can always help with that.

Lower end private club for me. $1,300 year membership and $600 trail fees for my cart which I store at home. Keeping in mind that I also live in BFE Illinois where the cost of living (and your wages) are lower than a big city. I have a hole in my front yard basically. Our club has little to no practice facilities but almost everyone plays on weekends or weekday mornings. You have the course to yourself in evenings and I have my own cart so it's easy to run out and play a few holes after work most nights.

We have a Par 3 course here at the subdivision where I live. It is covered in our HOA dues.

Back