How man of you on the site are members of golf courses?

ohthehumanity

Reaction score
Handicap
How man of you THPers are members of golf courses?

I have thought about joining one lately, but I am not sure if playing one course all the time is for me.

Is it worth it to join one?

I am a member. I like not having to get people together to play on a regular basis. We have a men’s group that shows up at specific times. Any member can show up, put their name on the list and play that day. We typically split into teams based on handicaps. There is a small team bet involved if you want to be part of it. I also enjoy all the tournaments sponsored by the club during the golfing season!! If you can find a club that fits your style and financial situation then I highly recommend it!!

I'm a member just for discounted rates (ex pay $25 for annual membership, save $20 per round), that's really it. No league or anything, just pay my tee time and go out with the random people I get paired up with

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks Ring.

I'm 44 now, and the kids are grown up, and since moving to this town a few years ago I haven't really made regular playing mates.

In my old town, my playing mates came from the guys I played hockey with, but I haven't played hockey in a few years after an injury sidelined me so maybe joining a club would be a good idea.

The only drawback for me would be justifying the cost of membership because I don't know if I would get the most out of the fee because I am not sure I would squeeze in that many rounds without the wife leaving me.

Have been a member of the same public course for about 10 years. Only other course within a 30 minute drive is a private course that I am too cheap to pony up the money for.

I’m a member of the University’s course that is open to the public. It’s $80 a month and that gets you no green fees. We have a country club but, like Sox, I’m not willing to pay the freight to join.

For almost the last 20 years that I was working I belonged to a private country club. Since retiring I’ve been a member either paying monthly dues or a lump sum annual payment for unlimited weekday golf including cart and usually some other perks at public courses. If there is an outing or tournament we might go play somewhere else but not very often. Pin and tee positions change all the time as do conditions so I personally have never gotten tired of playing the same course. I wish my game was so consistent as to get tired of playing the same course. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I joined a club 3 years ago after playing public golf on Long Island for 30 years.

It’s way too expensive.

However,

I play much more golf now with the 3.5 hour rounds, no waiting, and always have a group to play with. Nice practice facility, fun membership, and course always in good condition.

When I do the math, it makes no sense.

When I look back on the fun I am having, it makes all the sense.

We’re joining a nearby club for discounts and access. No desire for a full membership. I grew up with that BS, and can find pompous/snooty cliques for free.

I'm bought a membership at a public golf course. Included range and cart use.

I'd love to be able to take trips and play different and nicer courses, but that is not something I can afford. I need a membership to be able to play as much as I'd like. Small community where I play and I have enjoyed that.

I’m a member at our home course. It was private when we joined then they decided to go semi-private.
I, with the rest of the members, would’ve much preferred staying private & paying more but CBIGG can’t do math.
We live on the 1st fairway & I play way too much to drop my membership.

I have belonged to a course for a long time.

The ability to know people and have a large pool to draw from for a round is a great feature.
Being a part of various committees to support growth, quality of experience, and engagement has been a great experience.
Having a pace of play policy that is heavily monitored at peak hours is incredible. Most rounds are just over four hours or better.
We have a layout that is both fair and challenging, and few walk away not talking about the shots 'they wish they had back'

It's been a great experience and I doubt I'll go without a membership somewhere unless times get hard.

I’m a member of the University’s course that is open to the public. It’s $80 a month and that gets you no green fees. We have a country club but, like Sox, I’m not willing to pay the freight to join.
Holy crap that's a deal

I pay a very cheap “range” membership at a local privately owned course that winds through the neighborhood. Not a layout to write home about but it gets the job done. A bit gimmicky at times.

$30/mo gets me unlimited range/practice and a discount on tee times.

I joined a club 3 years ago after playing public golf on Long Island for 30 years.

It’s way too expensive.

However,

I play much more golf now with the 3.5 hour rounds, no waiting, and always have a group to play with. Nice practice facility, fun membership, and course always in good condition.

When I do the math, it makes no sense.

When I look back on the fun I am having, it makes all the sense.

I can think of a few threads that we've had on this topic and the bolded part above has stuck with me. I had a junior membership at a club a few years ago because I wanted to try the experience and it was great, but as I got older and the cost increased, I couldn't justify the math (and I like to play at different places), although it was really nice to have a regular foursome on the weekends.

I pay a very cheap “range” membership at a local privately owned course that winds through the neighborhood. Not a layout to write home about but it gets the job done. A bit gimmicky at times.

$30/mo gets me unlimited range/practice and a discount on tee times.

That's exactly what I do. Is still probably too expensive

That's exactly what I do. Is still probably too expensive

It’s the best of both worlds. Being able to go out anytime but also not expensive enough where I can go play all over and not feel like I’m wasting money

Was a member, changed jobs - looking at joining a course with very close proximity to my house - with reciprocal privileges at 8 other courses. All munis, but I think it is worth doing the money and variety is about right.

Member of a private course that I have full access to 2 other private courses

You mean like OFFICIAL MEMBER? Like Pay dues to Bushwood?

I was thinking of joining the local Muni now that I can play 3-4 days a week.
I wish I had the disposable income to join one of the Private clubs in my area we have some really great options But I really like the ability to play different courses without feeling like I should be playing at 1 due to a membership.

Not a member here. I just buy the frequent player passes at the start of the year for a couple of the better city courses and pay as I go elsewhere.

Member at our local course. It's kind of a goat path, but is cheap, $750 for unlimited golf, 7 days a week, no additional cost.

My home course has a membership that is $50 a month for unlimited Mon-Fri. Been considering it.

This is about the 20th thread on this topic that has been created

I'm a member at a nearby semi-private course.

Love the place but if I can't get my back in order, I won't be rejoining. I've been unable to play for a total of 10 months out of the 22 months since joining. Then there's the sparse, apprehensive play when coming back post rehab.

Once sound and playing a fair amount, it's a heckuva bargain. But writing those checks for dues isn't a lot of fun when the inactive months tumble by.

Last edited:
Back