Rating scale if someone asks me how good someone is

GoingLefty

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you guys agree with my scale or is yours much different?

"Terrible." - Can't break 120.

"OK" - Shoots between 100 - 110 with the odd round in the high 90's and the odd round over 110.

"Pretty good" - Shoots between 90 - 105.

"Good" - Shoots in the 80's and probably has a few sub 80 rounds in their life.

"Really Good" is anyone that shoots mid 70's or better consistently.

"Pro" - Anyone better than +1. I don't care if you're not a pro, to me you are.

*A player may move up in rating by being awesome to play with. For example I have a buddy that almost never breaks 100 but keep the pace, is a blast to hang out with and never complains. He moves up from "OK" to "Pretty good" because of that.

** Very rarely a player may move up two ratings levels. It would be a combination of generosity of beers bought, being great to play with AND I happen to have one of my best rounds ever. If you are playing with people and you have your low round of your life, then everyone moves up 2 spots in the group. (This exception expires withing a few days when the shine wears off and these players return to their previous ranking.)

For me it depends on ball striking as to how I rate them, their short game and putting can just be off that day for a score to creep into the mid 80's. Especially if its a one off round with them.
But yeh I don't usually look at score too much it's more how many chances they create in the round for a great score.

Had to actually think about this for a bit. I don’t know that I’ve ever been asked to rate another golfer. So subjective. Been asked what someone shoots or are they enjoyable to play with.
As for me I’m more interested in someone’s temperament on the golf course. Do they enjoy the game? Would I play with them again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with Alex, I probably go off ball striking more than anything else.

I'm with OP - scoring, on-course etiquette, and attitude. A great course manager can compensate for poor ball striking. He even has a beer goggle factor. Well done.

I would based how good they are on their scoring ability first, then address anything afterwards. Example if I play with a guy that shoots in the 80s all the time but is super methodical and slow with everything he does and someone asks me if he's good, I would probably say "Oh yea, he's good! But he takes forever to play". It up to them to decide if he's "OK" to play with, depending on their criteria.

I would say I am pretty good, and would be comfortable using that phrase if someone asks me how good I am.

For me it's pretty simple.

Freaking Good Player - shoots 75 or better almost all of the time.

Beyond that I cease to care about score:

Great guy - plays at a good pace, loves golf.

Crappy guy - plays slow, complains about everything, excuses for everything.

It's not something I've really put much thought into.

If someone asks me how good someone else is, I just tell them the typical scoring range I see them play (e.g., 78-82, high 80's, etc.)

Pretty much the same for me, although I consider most single-digit handicappers pretty freaking good.

i'm pretty close with your scale, but i would use different words

"Not very good." - Can't break 120.

"Not terrible" - Shoots between 100 - 110 with the odd round in the high 90's and the odd round over 110.

"Can hit the ball" - Shoots between 90 - 105.

"Pretty Good" - Shoots in the 80's and probably has a few sub 80 rounds in their life.

"A stick" - Anyone better than +1. I don't care if you're not a pro, to me you are.

"Not terrible" - Shoots between 100 - 110 with the odd round in the high 90's and the odd round over 110.

"Pretty Good" - Shoots in the 80's and probably has a few sub 80 rounds in their life.

"A stick" - Anyone better than +1. I don't care if you're not a pro, to me you are.

I could agree with this, but like some others I don't get in too much on skill unless someone is really good (that guy is a stick), it is more about whether or not I would want to play with them again. "oh that is a great guy, real fun to play with" or "man he is sloooow.... looked at putts from every angle 4 times..."

I don't want to think what people say about my game which is why I TRY not to comment too much on other peoples (judge not lest ye be judged).

Last edited:

I like this list.

I think a stick is anyone can shoot below 80 in an event regularly. About 2% of golfers can do it. Golf is a very hard game.

Haha! Rate me....

Started the year as a pretty solid 2HC. Ended as an 8.8. Had a low round of -6 (was -9
Standing on the 18th tee staring a fleeting course record in the eyes) and had 2 rounds in triple digits.

Most would not think my level of inconsistency possible, but I can assure you it is. Average score last year was low 80’s. But in about 50 rounds I had more rounds in the 75-79 and 86-90 range than in the 80-85 range. I had exactly one round under par (-6).

I have the skills to play high level. However I may be the most inconsistent golfer in the history of the sport. How do you possibly go from -9 through 17 to 104 3 rounds later?

Haha! Rate me....

Started the year as a pretty solid 2HC. Ended as an 8.8. Had a low round of -6 (was -9
Standing on the 18th tee staring a fleeting course record in the eyes) and had 2 rounds in triple digits.

Most would not think my level of inconsistency possible, but I can assure you it is. Average score last year was low 80’s. But in about 50 rounds I had more rounds in the 75-79 and 86-90 range than in the 80-85 range. I had exactly one round under par (-6).

I have the skills to play high level. However I may be the most inconsistent golfer in the history of the sport. How do you possibly go from -9 through 17 to 104 3 rounds later?

This is all that comes to mind! Golf is dumb but awesome game!

MEME.png

This is all that comes to mind! Golf is dumb but awesome game!

View attachment 38073

Lol! I bring awesome to the table once, maybe twice a year. I bring total ineptitude to the table at least double that many times. Most of the time I hit a few majestic shots and look average the rest of the round.

Hole 1.par 4. 330 yard drive, chunk a wedge, fail to get up and down. Bogey.

Hole 2. Par 4. Snap hook OOB. Hitting 3... Majestic 350 yard drive. Get up and down for bogey.

Hole 3. Par 3. Chunk a nine iron. Fail to get up and down. Bogey.

Hole 4. Par 5. Slice drive into other fairway. Hit a towering 3 wood onto green. Two putt birdie.

Hole 5. Par 4. Slice again. Chunk 9i from other fairway. Chunk wedge. Fail to get up and down. Double.

Etc etc etc.

This is typical.

Agree entirely with this. Although it's always impressive to play with someone who cranks the ball a long way. I played with a 300+ carry guy last summer and it was just a lot of fun to watch.

For me it depends on ball striking as to how I rate them, their short game and putting can just be off that day for a score to creep into the mid 80's. Especially if its a one off round with them.
But yeh I don't usually look at score too much it's more how many chances they create in the round for a great score.

So, GIR?

I'm too analytical for this conversation. My head is hurting just reading it so far.

I think this is what is missed! Having a few guys you can hit 18 with and just enjoy being outside with good company is, IMO, why golf is such a great sport. Yeah, sure, I'd love to shoot 75 every time. But if I can go out, have a few beers with my mates and not be at work...That's a win 8 days a week!

Do you guys agree with my scale or is yours much different?

"Take Up Tennis" - Can't break 120.

"1 Foot On The Golf Course & 1 on the Tennis Court" - Shoots between 100 - 110 with the odd round in the high 90's and the odd round over 110.

"Decent" - Shoots between 90 - 105.

"Cocky" is anyone that shoots mid 70's or better consistently.

"Ringer" - Anyone better than +1. I don't care if you're not a pro, to me you are.

[/I]

FIFY :act-up:

I think this is what is missed! Having a few guys you can hit 18 with and just enjoy being outside with good company is, IMO, why golf is such a great sport. Yeah, sure, I'd love to shoot 75 every time. But if I can go out, have a few beers with my mates and not be at work...That's a win 8 days a week!

Yup yup! I can’t say I’m having much fun when I go over 100 that time or two a year that I always seem to do, mainly because I usually fail to hit a single quality shot and it’s super frustrating..... but I’d still rather suck at golf than be good at work.

I'm too analytical for this conversation. My head is hurting just reading it so far.

Haha! You like my -9 through 17 (then an ugly OB triple) for a -6 66 turned into a 104 ten days later don’t you? Probably my greatest golfing achievement, lol. Same course too. Conditions weren’t even bad. I just woke up that day with absolutely zero ability to play golf. None. I can’t even blame it on a nagging injury or anything other than I just flat out stunk. I didn’t even warm up for the 66, I warmed up and was hitting it good for the 104.

Such a silly sport. Fun but silly.

That’s a good way to put it. Last year, I feel in the “can hit the ball” and “pretty good.” I just say that on a good day I’m decent.

But the intangibles are a different conversation for me and are a big qualifier to my view of McLovin’s breakdown. Whether I want to play with someone isn’t dependent on score. Regardless of score, if they have a good attitude, respect for their playing partners and the game, and aren’t a drunk, club thrower, constantly angry, or otherwise ill-tempered, I’m happy to play with them.

Haha! You like my -9 through 17 (then an ugly OB triple) for a -6 66 turned into a 104 ten days later don’t you? Probably my greatest golfing achievement, lol. Same course too. Conditions weren’t even bad. I just woke up that day with absolutely zero ability to play golf. None. I can’t even blame it on a nagging injury or anything other than I just flat out stunk. I didn’t even warm up for the 66, I warmed up and was hitting it good for the 104.

Such a silly sport. Fun but silly.

Dude, it's not even that. That's basically the definition of golf. One day to the next the game can be so cruel.

Back