R.I.P. Dan Jenkins

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26180815/legendary-sports-writer-jenkins-dies-89

Dan Jenkins was one of my favorite sportswriters growing up. Loved his articles for SI and his books even more. In today's politically correct era a lot of his dialogue would be a no-no, but it rang true & fit the characters for that time, and he had some of the funniest lines & stories I ever read.

Three of my favorites:

Semi-Tough (NFL)
Dead Solid Perfect (golf)
Limo (network TV)

Also a big DJ fan. When my golf digest arrived in the mail, the first thing I would read was his articles. Very smart and witty writer.

RIP Dan Jenkins.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good in his younger age, turned very grumpy the last decade. It turned into a lot of I knew Ben Hogan, and I’ve been to a lot of Masters.

Still a shame though

I’m a big fan and have a handful of his books. I highly recommend Jenkins at The Majors.

Good in his younger age, turned very grumpy the last decade. It turned into a lot of I knew Ben Hogan, and I’ve been to a lot of Masters.

Still a shame though

No doubt. He was the "Get off my Masters Lawn" guy at the end. Should've retired earlier, but sportswriters seem to have as much trouble giving up their job as much as professional athletes.

A Fort Worth legend. How lucky was he to grow up and play golf in the same town that two legends of the game also grew up in? (Hogan and Nelson)

No doubt. He was the "Get off my Masters Lawn" guy at the end. Should've retired earlier, but sportswriters seem to have as much trouble giving up their job as much as professional athletes.

Very much so. “These guys are no Ben Hogan, and I knew Ben Hogan”

Yes Dan, we know. Somewhere upstairs, Ben is probably letting out a very large sigh and just asking for another bucket of balls.

A wonderful Wordsmith. I enjoyed his writing and his humor. I hope he can rest with the knowledge that he made folks smile a bit with his wit and words.

RIP
b.png

Wish some platform would stream “Dead Solid Perfect”. Really underrated golf movie, funny, R rated :).

Wish some platform would stream “Dead Solid Perfect”. Really underrated golf movie, funny, R rated :).

Never saw the movie but it is one of my all-time favorite books. I don't think I've ever laughed harder while reading a book.

Back