Aim Point Express

If you put a few marks on your shoe instead of using your laces would that violate a USGA rule?

There is nothing in the USGA rule book about marking your shoes. But it could be argued that the last two bolded bullets under rule 14-3 would be a breach of the rules.

2012 USGA Rules of Golf said:
3. Shoes (Rule 14-3)
Shoes that assist the player in obtaining a firm stance may be worn. Subjectto the conditions of competition, features such as spikes on the sole arepermitted, but shoes must not incorporate features:

• designed to assist the player in taking his stance and/or building a stance;
  • designed to assist the player with his alignment; or
  • that might otherwise assist the player in making a stroke or in his play.

There is nothing in the USGA rule book about marking your shoes. But it could be argued that the last two bolded bullets under rule 14-3 would be a breach of the rules.

Wow - I never thought of that. good point.

I think I need to get the level & the DVD & get practicing!

Thanks for all the info 2bad4u & others!

Wow - I never thought of that. good point.

I think I need to get the level & the DVD & get practicing!

Thanks for all the info 2bad4u & others!

Glad to have helped.

I need to buy a digital level and practice feeling the slope. The system is super easy if you are good at feeling slope accurately

The last two bolded bullets are really iffy because you can still have your feet aligned wrong, just like that "rifle scope" technology on the SeeMore putter head helps you align your putter square, you can still pick the wrong putting line.

Take the new Footjoy Freestyle shoes for example - they have a bold yellow line up the tongue of each foot. The shoes have been approved by the USGA. They're not designed as an alignment aid. They're a style statement, but you could use them for an alignment aid.

FJ_57332_03.jpg

The key words in the rule are "designed to assist." And it would be difficult to prove that this stripe would assist the player in making a stroke.

The last two bolded bullets are really iffy because you can still have your feet aligned wrong, just like that "rifle scope" technology on the SeeMore putter head helps you align your putter square, you can still pick the wrong putting line.

Take the new Footjoy Freestyle shoes for example - they have a bold yellow line up the tongue of each foot. The shoes have been approved by the USGA. They're not designed as an alignment aid. They're a style statement, but you could use them for an alignment aid.

FJ_57332_03.jpg

The key words in the rule are "designed to assist." And it would be difficult to prove that this stripe would assist the player in making a stroke.

I agree that simply having laces (that could be used) on golf shoes to measure knee flex, would not be a violation of the USGA roles of golf. However, @ntanygd760 asked the question if he put lines on his shoes to help measure knee flex, would THAT be a violation of the rules. In my opinion I believe it would. YMMV.

Having lines on putters to aid putter aim has never been an issue with respect to the rules of golf. Almost every putter has a dot, or one or multiple lines to help aim and square the putter face. But having lines on putters is outside the scope of the original question that was asked.

BTW... nice shoes.

I agree that simply having laces (that could be used) on golf shoes to measure knee flex, would not be a violation of the USGA roles of golf. However, @ntanygd760 asked the question if he put lines on his shoes to help measure knee flex, would THAT be a violation of the rules. In my opinion I believe it would. YMMV.

Having lines on putters to aid putter aim has never been an issue with respect to the rules of golf. Almost every putter has a dot, or one or multiple lines to help aim and square the putter face. But having lines on putters is outside the scope of the original question that was asked.

BTW... nice shoes.

Now imagine those shoes with shoe laces in dark blue to match the dark blue in the body of the shoe. Where the laces cross over that yellow mark would do fine for the knee bend without actually marking the shoe itself, don't you think? No one can tell you what color shoe laces you can wear.

If you want a way to stretch a rule, just ask me.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a digital level to help practice getting the feel for % slope? I did a quick look on Amazon & the ones highly rated for accuracy were kind of expensive (closer to $50+)

I bought the Husky from Home depot for $40 ... but ended up using Clinometer app on my phone ...

I would use the phone after I putted to verify what I thought it was while playing ... just did not want to carry a level while playing ... seemed odd, but wanted to get some real green experience. The practice area I had down, and "knew" the slope ...

The app was close enough for me ...

Does anyone have any recommendations on a digital level to help practice getting the feel for % slope? I did a quick look on Amazon & the ones highly rated for accuracy were kind of expensive (closer to $50+)

I bought one of these and it works well. I agree with others that the Clinometer app is a good option as well.

51EOMzTE63L.jpg

I think I need to learn this! My green reading could use some serious improvement!

I bought one of these and it works well. I agree with others that the Clinometer app is a good option as well.

51EOMzTE63L.jpg
Never actually thought to go old school but that is probably just as accurate as any digital one under $50

51EOMzTE63L.jpg

I don't see his working very well because the readings must me in percent - not degrees.

I don't see his working very well because the readings must me in percent - not degrees.

Do you or did you use a level? If so, which one?

Do you or did you use a level? If so, which one?

The digital level that is most people recommend in the Sates is the Husky 10" Digital Level which can be purchased at Home Depot (SKU #934631) for $40.00 USD. Here's what it looks like...

833a7673-0fc0-46e5-9048-df36f26acf24_65.jpg

And here's the HD link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-in-Digital-Level-THD9403/100653598

Canadians can also get one from Canadian Tire for $70.00 CAD. If you wait you can buy it on sale for about 40% off. This level goes on sale every 2 to 4 months so it's worth the wait.

0575402_1

Here the link for my Canadian buds: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-digital-level-10-in-0575402p.html#.Vtt6PMe0okw

These levels can also be handy around the house so keep it in your tool chest when you've got AimPoint nailed down.

Regarding those Smart Phone apps that can measure slope in percent. I've read many mixed reviews - some say it works, others say to keep clear. Nobody has ever had a problem with the two levels above - they just work.

Hope that helps.

It's pretty easy. Just remember that .6 degrees is 1%, 1% is 1.75%, and 2 degrees is 3.5%. I have a digital level as well that is certainly more precise but this little one is handy to throw in my pocket or golf bag for a quick check on the practice green. When I got it I laid it down next to the digital level to learn exactly where the bubble was at 1, 2, and 3% grades. Once you get the hang of Aimpoint express you don't need a level very often.

It's pretty easy. Just remember that .6 degrees is 1%, 1% is 1.75%, and 2 degrees is 3.5%. I have a digital level as well that is certainly more precise but this little one is handy to throw in my pocket or golf bag for a quick check on the practice green. When I got it I laid it down next to the digital level to learn exactly where the bubble was at 1, 2, and 3% grades. Once you get the hang of Aimpoint express you don't need a level very often.

I'm not saying you cannot work with that bubble level but IMHO it's just too complicated to be working out the numbers in your head - especially when you are learning AimPoint. It also doesn't work with those 4 and 5 percent reads. I believe the vast majority of people would prefer learning AimPoint with a digital level. YMMV.

Winners from both the PGA (Herman) and LPGA (Ko) used Aimpoint.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Winners from both the PGA (Herman) and LPGA (Ko) used Aimpoint.

Two more butt-finger wins. I believe this will become a more common trend as more pros are using it now.

Anybody know how many kids were using AimPoint at the Drive, Chip and Putt? I can't imagine paying for that class for a child of that age.

I took the two hour class a few weeks ago, it's definitely helped me read greens. Even when I am unsure or miss putts, I've noticed my misses are "closer" than they were before.

Really helps give me a target to aim at without "guessing".

I took the two hour class a few weeks ago, it's definitely helped me read greens. Even when I am unsure or miss putts, I've noticed my misses are "closer" than they were before.

Really helps give me a target to aim at without "guessing".

I agree. This has made me a more consistent putter without a doubt, as long as I have my speed right.

Back