M4 4 Iron as Driving Iron

Deadsquiggles

Shank Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Handicap
Seeing as I rarely use my 4 Iron from the fairway due to its low loft, would I be crazy for putting a tip stiff, low spin graphite shaft in it and using it as a driving iron. I realize the design of the club is meant to launch high, but maybe bending it to 18* with something like a PX Hzrdus Black or something similar would be a fairly low launch, low spin iron. I think this would be cheaper than buying a driving iron. Also, I’m definitely open to suggestions.

Cast clubs are notoriously difficult to adjust loft. I know the hosel on the M4 is setup to be able to adjust the lie a bit, but attempting 4* of loft change would probably snap it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cast clubs are notoriously difficult to adjust loft. I know the hosel on the M4 is setup to be able to adjust the lie a bit, but attempting 4* of loft change would probably snap it.

+1
e.png

If I remember correctly the m4 is 19.5*. If you want to use it as a driving iron, it already is one. Try it out now as one, if changes are needed try loft and shaft changes.

Yeah the M4 4 Iron is 19.5* so I’d just want to take it down to 18.5* and then put a low launch, low spin shaft in it. M4s are high launching so I’m trying to knock the flight down.

I can’t comment on the M4, but my first round this year, I was using an Epic 4i as a driving iron. I outdrove everyone on every hole with this. If the m4 is anything near the Epic in terms of distance, it’s not a bad plan. I was hitting it as long as I’ve ever hit any iron. Into the wind I was hitting close to what I’d expect from a decent driver strike. At 40*F to boot. I’m impressed.

I may try a LL/LS Hybrid shaft like the Aldila RIP or similar. I don’t necessarily wanna drop $175+ on a shaft straight out the gate.

I may try a LL/LS Hybrid shaft like the Aldila RIP or similar. I don’t necessarily wanna drop $175+ on a shaft straight out the gate.

Going from your sig......

How do you find the M3 440? I couldn’t get along with it at all. I like the 2016 M1 430 far better. Or even the R15 430. Maybe I’m the only low heel hooker or high toe slicer but I just couldn’t get along with it. I tried, A for effort tried, but just couldn’t figure it out.

Going from your sig......

How do you find the M3 440? I couldn’t get along with it at all. I like the 2016 M1 430 far better. Or even the R15 430. Maybe I’m the only low heel hooker or high toe slicer but I just couldn’t get along with it. I tried, A for effort tried, but just couldn’t figure it out.

So I can’t say how it performs on course yet. I haven’t played since I got it in January. But when I got fitted, comparing it to my 9.5* M2 I had at the time, I lowered my spin from 2600 to 2100 and launch was lowered about 1.5*. I gained about 10-15 yards in carry alone just from spin and launch optimimization going from 9.5* to 9* and from a high launch shaft to a Mitsubishi Tensei White. And honestly, I didn’t noticed a change in forgiveness from mishits. But as always, YMMV.

Yeah the M4 4 Iron is 19.5* so I’d just want to take it down to 18.5* and then put a low launch, low spin shaft in it. M4s are high launching so I’m trying to knock the flight down.

Oh- my Hogan 4I is at 22*, I forget that BH has a bit more traditional lofts than most others. I’m waiting for BH to release the 18* Hi iron to fill gap below my 4I to use a driving iron as well

Rickie has an f9 speedback 4 iron as his driving iron and Pat Perez has been using xf’s at the top of his bag as long as he’s been with PXG so there’s definitely precedence for it!

So I finally built my driving iron. Standard M4 4 iron head, Project X 6.0 Iron shaft, Lamkin Crossline grip, playing at 40”. Hope to get to the range or back on the course soon to see what if can do.

Back