wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know the long-standing arguments:

-- Divots (or divot holes) should be GUR!
-- If I hit a perfect drive, I should not be penalized!
-- I should not be penalized for someone else's laziness!
-- Just another example of how out-of-touch the old-boys club at the USGA is

So, I ask you. How many divots / divot holes are in this picture, and from which ones should you be granted relief?

Divots+not+filled+July+12.jpg

Anyone see the problem?

That's miserable, and I agree, Divots should be GUR.

I feel bad for anyone that lands in one of my divots, even after I have dropped sand in it.

I think I'm counting about 24. You need to hit it further. That's awful you should be at to move it.

Isn't that picture from a tee box on a par 3 though?

Isn't that picture from a tee box on a par 3 though?

I'm sure it is. The point remains, what criteria does one use for deciding whether all those spots are divots?

Go ahead and roll the ball out of the divot holes when you're not playing in competitions. I know that's not what you're asking, but it would solve the problem!

While I hate them to, I give you this question, and at least for me, it comes up more often than hitting into a divot hole (I just don't normally end up in many; maybe it's because I am usually short of where most people hit). If I get a lucky bounce off the fairway (like off a tree, root, etc.), should I throw the ball behind the tree in within the roots since I shouldn't have gotten that good break? If you happen to catch the flag on a bladed iron shot and it drops straight down instead of going 30 yards past the green, do you throw the ball where it should have gone?

The problem with self-policing ground under repair is how bad does it need to be? And how bad is different for everyone. You might decide it is GUR but someone else in a group behind you could land in it and decide it didn't qualify.

But I do agree, it sucks when you do land in one. Roll that sucker out! Directly behind the hole, always behind, not to either side.

The only practical way to make divots gur with no rules drama is allow players to move the ball one club length from anywhere on the fairway.

You should get relief from 0. I have no problem with this rule.

I'm sure it is. The point remains, what criteria does one use for deciding whether all those spots are divots?

If someone is in a fairway, in what they deem to be a hole, what harm is there in allowing a free drop (not place, drop)?

I maintain that this is the dumbest rule in all of golf. beyond the anchored nonsense, and beyond stroke and distance for lost balls in heather. There is absolutely no argument that would convince me that a course designer would believe holes in the fairway is how the course was intended to be played.

This, and footprints in bunkers. Change these rules immediately.

Not that I play for money but I don't think I would want to play a high money game with someone unless we played them as free drop from fairway.

Pretty similar to Bowling where if you cross over and go Brooklyn you get a 7 and out for the frame

Let me ask a follow up question for those who are genuine proponents of hitting out of non-course-designer-intended holes in the fairway.

On the 11th fairway of my home course, a section of the fairway was shaved to repair another (more important) location on the course. It sits there in waiting before they can seed it in the Spring. Should this be played down, or is a free drop warranted? If the latter, how in the world is that any different from a golfer removing turf?

I hit a good drive on the first hole on my last round. It landed in a divot. My playing partner told me to take it out and I said no. Not sure if I topped the ball or hit it into the front of the divot but the ball came out weird. I felt I hit it pretty solid. I am one that not only fills my divots but fills others close to my ball. When on the green I not only fix my ball marks but any others I see. If people did that then I think we wouldn't have to be talking about this on here.

Played in a tournament this weekend and due to heavy rain we played everything as lift clean and place. In 36 holes I found a divot in the fairway at least 5 times. This seams way higher than normal percentage, but to me I don't see any reason why you would not treat these as ground under repair.

Bent grass doesn't really need this rule. Super easy to put your divot back as it tends to stay in one giant piece. Bermuda just explodes into a million pieces hence the sand/seed mix on carts

Bent grass doesn't really need this rule. Super easy to put your divot back as it tends to stay in one giant piece. Bermuda just explodes into a million pieces hence the sand/seed mix on carts

That logic only works if people actually replace their divots... which many don't....

And hitting out of sanded divots sucks nearly as bad as hitting out of unfilled divots.

Played in a tournament this weekend and due to heavy rain we played everything as lift clean and place. In 36 holes I found a divot in the fairway at least 5 times. This seams way higher than normal percentage, but to me I don't see any reason why you would not treat these as ground under repair.

That is the reality right there... It should be, and I've yet to read/hear a genuinely sound excuse as to why it shouldn't be.

- no, the course designer did not intend for the fairways to be mortar fields with holes everywhere
- no, the guy taking a drop won't slow play down (any more than the two minutes of b*tching after he finds out he's in a divot based on the current rulebook)
- no, this does not destroy the integrity of the game

We all know the long-standing arguments:

-- Divots (or divot holes) should be GUR!
-- If I hit a perfect drive, I should not be penalized!
-- I should not be penalized for someone else's laziness!
-- Just another example of how out-of-touch the old-boys club at the USGA is

So, I ask you. How many divots / divot holes are in this picture, and from which ones should you be granted relief?

Divots+not+filled+July+12.jpg

Anyone see the problem?

This is just so easy man.....why don't you just hit the darn ball further than everyone else and you wont have this problem.
BTW, why in this fairway do I see a tee in the picture? Unless this is a tee box you just used for an example.

But sure, I do agree we should get relief from them.

This is just so easy man.....why don't you just hit the darn ball further than everyone else and you wont have this problem.
BTW, why in this fairway do I see a tee in the picture? Unless this is a tee box you just used for an example.

He said it was a tee box, but go to any hole where the fairway transitions to water and I guarantee there are a ton of unfilled divots because people aren't going to fish them out of the water.

But then you will land in Mike Dean's divots from laying up on a par 4. :alien::wink:

I hate to sound like a broken record ... recreational golf should have some relaxed rules ...

I know in my foursome there is no problem moving ...

Play it as it lies. The conditions of fairways, rough, tee boxes, and especially greens are much better than they were 30 or 40 years ago. I have no problem with playing it from a divot in the fairway, it makes me focus a bit more.

I know it sucks, but I don't see the need for whining. I just hit. The divot may affect my shot, but I won't allow it to get into my head.

I'll look at the bright side. If I hit a lousy shot, at least I can blame the divot.

I am kind of impartial to the rule. I know it is a nuisance having to hit out of a sanded or non-sanded divot. Should the rule change? Probably. Will it? Who knows.

Golf clubs have evolved and changed over the years. I believe the rules need to evolve to get rid of this unfair rule. We need to make golf easier not harder. We need more people playing golf and " enjoying" it not wishing they were some place else! Move the ball!

Back