What's Your Motivation this Golf Season?

Great question. This year have a few goals/motivations in mind.

1. Win my flight in my club's invitational
2. Be very competitive in the championship flight of the club championship
3. Playing a bucket list course in August, and likely will only play it once, so really want to play well there.

So far no THP events, but hopefully I get into at least one. But I have some personal golf goals I am still working to accomplish, so that keeps me motivated.

My plan is to get down to a 14 this season, so that means more work than last year. Not in any particular order, but once the season is in full swing, I'll work on what may be the weak point at the time (putting, wedge, mid irons, driver). My range & chipping green opens this coming weekend so I'm pretty sure you'll find me there.

My plan is to become a single digit this year. I want to consistently shoot rounds in the 70's.

I know they'll be others that say this, but the Grandaddy has been on my mind for years and will continue to be when practicing/competing/playing. It is such a once in a lifetime opportunity, that if I was every lucky enough to get in, that I would be able to play my very best and leave it all out there.

Now if I'm ever in a THP event, the same prep goes into it, but the grandaddy is something special and being at year end, it gives you something to aspire towards the entire golf season.

Trying to make improvements every year. I'm not old by any means but at almost 46 I expect to start getting even less flexible and skills eroding so I'm working hard to stay reasonably in shape.

First win my boys weekend in May. After that, shoot in the 80's instead of 83-95. But most importantly STOP PLAYING GOLF SWING ALL SEASON and just play golf and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is mostly just being able to play. At age 69 it's hard to say with any certainty how many rounds are left, so I'm just happy to still get out there as often as I want to.

A secondary motivation is to try and stop the steady erosion of my handicap. From a 12 cap 5 years ago, then 3 years when I couldn't play but a half dozen rounds and now 2 years of bogey and worse than bogey golf my index is 18.4 and I really want to put on the brakes.

To that end I rejoined the men's club at my old home course, even though it's a 150 mile drive for each tournament I play in. I just feel that the competition will help to provide some additional focus. It did when I first joined the club in 1989, and went from a 17 to a 12 in one season, then down to a 10 the next year and stayed in that range for 20 years without really practicing or taking any lessons. I hope that some of that magic is still there.

Last edited:
My motivation for the early part of the season is preparing for a Ryder Cup style weekend a bunch of buddies and I are doing in April. After that I'm looking to get my handicap below 25.

I'm always ready. I miss the skins group weekend bantering and beat downs.

My biggest motivation this year is the GRANDADDY!!! I want my cap to travel and my game improved.

Other than that, I've always wanted to be better at golf. Since I've started the game I've taken lesson so that will continue. This year, I was able to keep the swing more in the off season and get in better shape. I think there will be less rust to knock off this year and I'll continue to get my cap down.

Finally, I play in a bunch of tournaments so the team aspect motivates me as well. I'd like be a better teammate by contributing more during tournaments.

Mine is mostly just being able to play. At age 69 it's hard to say with any certainty how many rounds are left, so I'm just happy to still get out there as often as I want to.

A secondary motivation is to try and stop the steady erosion of my handicap. From a 12 cap 5 years ago, then 3 years when I couldn't play but a half dozen rounds and now 2 years of bogey and worse than bogey golf my index is 18.4 and I really want to put on the brakes.

To that end I rejoined the men's club at my old home course, even though it's a 150 mile drive for each tournament I play in. I just feel that the competition will help to provide some additional focus. It did when I first joined the club in 1989, and went from a 17 to a 12 in one season, then down to a 10 the next year and stayed in that range for 20 years without really practicing or taking any lessons. I hope that some of that magic is still there.

Keep marching on..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of motivation this year. My goals are to lower my handicap, take some golf lessons to check if my fundamentals are correct, and get my game good enough to attempt to qualify for the WV State Amateur Tournament at the Greenbrier next year.

My mom recently dropped off a box of old stuff at my house, and some of the contents were high school golf related. This was a revelation to how things have declined over the past 12 years. I don't want to take the game as seriously as I did then, but I'm going to use this as motivation to shoot some lower scores this year. I see a lesson or 5 in my not too distant future. I've gotten lazy...

For the first time in a long time I'm going to start off my golf season where I left off (or better) then when it ended last year. I'm going to break 85 on a consistent basis. Work will be very stressful over the summer so golf will be my escape.

my motivation is my singleness. Nobody telling me to come home. Nobody guilt tripping me about wanting to practice all the time. I have no excuse not to take my game to the next level. I can travel. Not have to withdraw from THP events. 2016 will be to the max. I will make sure of it.

I hate playing bad (or what I consider to be bad for me). When I don't play the way I think I should, it bothers me and the game becomes slightly less fun. I don't want it to become a second job, but I want to play better. That's my motivation-to be better.

And have fun.

To get into every THP event I can! Can't lose that way.

I don't have any specific events or tournaments for motivation, although I do plan to enter as many as I can. I have never entered an individual competitive golf event, and that should be an interesting experience in itself. My goal this year is to refine my focus and put into practice the things I know I need to do to improve my game. Last year I developed a base, and this year I am going to make refinements (through repetition) to consistently notch up the game, while continuing to have fun.

Honestly my motivation is just to have fun this year. Play golf with good friends, and just enjoy the course.

I haven't renewed my GHIN this year because I don't think my ladies clubs will like having me play.... 5000 yd tees are too short for the way I'm hitting my driver. It puts four par 4s in drivable range. And they're about the only reason I had GHIN. I don't need a handicap. But I guess I can use the US Handicap system on this site if I want and still keep it official.

My score in the injury plagued last season hovered in the low 90s. So this years' goal is to shoot in the 80s.

Regional rivalry baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was just to improve compared to last year but now it is to defeat the Carolina team in the Regional Rivalry. No other motivation is needed!

Back