JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Posted this on Facebook earlier and thought it would be good for the forum as well. Every year the conversation begins with the Players being called the 5th Major. Let's settle it once and for all. Is it the 5th Major or not? You tell us and give your reasoning.

1,000% yes. i can't think of another tournament (not labeled a major) that seems to mean more to the guys on tour.

Without a doubt. One of the best fields and one hell of a golf course.

Y.E.S!

I love this course, this tournament and generally, the field is amazing! I'd be surprised to find players that are strongly against this course being a 5th major. I think what speaks volumes about the tournament is the amount of players that "prepare" for this tournament. Whether it's playing at other FL courses, sitting out other tournaments or making a point to play this is in the hectic schedule these guys are faced with.

However, the new trophy that's a mash-up of all the faces of the winners...kinda creepy! Maybe just go to a crystal trophy or a nice platinum trophy with an island green on it!

Always action packed and comes down to playing super well on Sunday, I'd say it has Major weight

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1,000% yes. i can't think of another tournament (not labeled a major) that seems to mean more to the guys on tour.

+1
BB.jpg

Major??? Why does it matter? I think the strength of field determines how important a victory is and some arbitrary “major” designation although they do typically have very strong fields!!

The 5th Major?

Nope. 4 majors. There are a few tournaments a year that are basically just below majors, including the players, but no it’s not a major.

I’m sure my mind has changed or could change on this, because I’m not really passionate either way. But that’s my current stance.

I don't think so, at the end of golfers careers when they are up for the hall of fame this tournament doesn't hold any more weight than the other regular tour events, at least I don't think it does. Great tournament, with a great field though.

I think the field tells us it is. All 50 of the top 50 being in the field definitely suggests so. Very interested to see the 17th hole in March vs. May. I am excited for the golf tournament this week and that is not always the case... at least not like this. I like the set up schedule wise now as well. Mar-Jul... one major each if you count The Players. Pretty cool to me.

Agree with cbaker. Not a major. There are a handful of tourneys that def have more prestige than others but none of them hold water to an actual major. The Players, AP and The Memorial Tournament are in that next tier. Maybe a few more that I’m not thinking of but those jump right out to me

It isn’t to me. Is it the most prestigious non major championship? Yes. But do I think it stacks up to Augusta as a location that holds the same tournament every year? Absolutely not.

I also don’t think players need another chance every year to win a major, if major championship totals are gonna be used as a measuring stick. Would it really be the same if someone then passed Tiger or Jack? Or any of the other greats for that matter?

Not at all to me. It's on that second tier along with the Playoffs and WGC events. It's a great field but the tournament itself isn't special to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

It isn’t to me. Is it the most prestigious non major championship? Yes. But do I think it stacks up to Augusta as a location that holds the same tournament every year? Absolutely not.

I also don’t think players need another chance every year to win a major, if major championship totals are gonna be used as a measuring stick. Would it really be the same if someone then passed Tiger or Jack? Or any of the other greats for that matter?

I’m with you specifically on the major championships as a measuring stick - that means Tiger is what one or two shy of jack?

Also Rickie won this, we cant consider it a major lol :angel: :alien:

One more good reason not to add it to the list. Jack has 3 Players' titles and Tiger only has 2. He'd need 5 to catch him if we counted the Players'.

It ultimately depends on how you view the current 4 Majors.
Are they Majors because the best of the best show up on a great/amazing/historic golf course? Or are they Majors because it was arbitrarily decided that they were 100 years ago and that's just the way it is dammit.

I’m with you specifically on the major championships as a measuring stick - that means Tiger is what one or two shy of jack?

Also Rickie won this, we cant consider it a major lol :angel: :alien:

Right! Do we really need to have that conversation every time we start talking about major championship victories? Would it be retroactive? Then if it becomes a major, is it automatically the least exciting/worst major of the year (it would obviously be in the discussion)? I think we just need to leave the Players alone...

Yes. If the "majors" were defined as the events that are most prestigious to win due to the competition, then The Players actually seems to fit that definition better than the others given that it technically has a better field than all the majors based on aggregate world golf rankings. All of the other majors include some combination of amateurs, pga teaching pros, and long ago champions. While I think that is totally fine and completely within the tradition of those events, The Players is just basically the best players in the world top to bottom based on relatively recent performance.

Not a major.

I say no. I like the players only having 4 chances to win a major and if you don't it's a long break in between to think about the next one. I love it this way.

I think it should be.

And it should be done retro-actively.

Nope. There have been 4 forever and that is the way it should stay. I am a traditionalist. Adding a 5th would reap havoc with the record books as well.

Nope...there's only 4 majors and if you start deviating with special names when does it go to an event being the 6th major...and 7th major and so on.

It's a cool tournament

Nope...there's only 4 majors and if you start deviating with special needs when does it go to the 6th major...and 7th major and so on.

It's a cool tournament

What other tournaments would even remotely be close to this conversation to fulfill that whole thing?

Back