Big Discovery with my Swing Struggles - Small Rant

H8tobogie

MC Team Hackers 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling mightily with my irons and have been hitting everything left, which has led me down a dark path trying hard to correct the miss. My driver and wedges started to get much more consistent, but I just cannot hit my irons. So, I finally decided to get some club building equipment and check out my sticks. Here is what I discovered:

I ordered the following:
1/4" longer than standard.
1 degree upright.
D2 swingweight.

Here is what I received for my irons:
1" over standard
2 degree upright.
D6 swingweight.

My irons are 3/4" longer than I want and an extra degree upright and at D6. No wonder I can't hit them straight. I get that OEM's can mess up, and I probably should have checked this out sooner, but this is a huge miss on their part. The most disappointing part is what it did to my swing over time trying to chase a fix. Anyway, rant over. The moral of the story - is always check your clubs to make sure they meet your specs.

Unfortunately yours is not an isolated story.

To a much lesser degree I once had a situation where equipment had me chasing a swing fix. I spent one infuriating hour on a launch monitor that was not working properly. No matter what you did, it read a massive hook. Of course my first inclination is that I suck and not that the monitor was FUBAR. By the time we figured out what was going on I had gone through some drastic and massive swing bandaids in an effort to see one freaking ball fly straight or fade - I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to hit a ball again after that.

Unfortunately yours is not an isolated story.

To a much lesser degree I once had a situation where equipment had me chasing a swing fix. I spent one infuriating hour on a launch monitor that was not working properly. No matter what you did, it read a massive hook. Of course my first inclination is that I suck and not that the monitor was FUBAR. By the time we figured out what was going on I had gone through some drastic and massive swing bandaids in an effort to see one freaking ball fly straight or fade - I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to hit a ball again after that.

I can imagine the frustration when you don’t feel like you’re hooking it but then you doubt yourself. Ha. The most embarrassing thing for me is that it took me this long to discover the issue. I guess I’m stubborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been struggling mightily with my irons and have been hitting everything left, which has led me down a dark path trying hard to correct the miss. My driver and wedges started to get much more consistent, but I just cannot hit my irons. So, I finally decided to get some club building equipment and check out my sticks. Here is what I discovered:

I ordered the following:
1/4" longer than standard.
1 degree upright.
D2 swingweight.

Here is what I received for my irons:
1" over standard
2 degree upright.
D6 swingweight.

My irons are 3/4" longer than I want and an extra degree upright and at D6. No wonder I can't hit them straight. I get that OEM's can mess up, and I probably should have checked this out sooner, but this is a huge miss on their part. The most disappointing part is what it did to my swing over time trying to chase a fix. Anyway, rant over. The moral of the story - is always check your clubs to make sure they meet your specs.

What the actual eff happened? I wonder if your order got switched with somebody else? I hope your game is on the mend.

longer than what standard? upright vs what?

take 0.75" off, SW will drop to the D2 range, dynamic lie angle will be flatter be a degree plus a fraction

longer than what standard? upright vs what?

take 0.75" off, SW will drop to the D2 range, dynamic lie angle will be flatter be a degree plus a fraction

I would assume the standard spec of that OEM/Model of club he ordered.

Ok so here my question have you adjusted the irons if so has it made a difference or has all the work you put in trying to fix the miss created more problems I had a same issue not as severe as you but found that after resolving the club issue I had a whole new set of problems to work thru

What the actual eff happened? I wonder if your order got switched with somebody else? I hope your game is on the mend.

Yeah, I’m guessing I just got someone else’s order. I have an old set of shafts I’m going to swap into the heads and go back to standard lie, which is what I normally play. Things should improve fast as I’m hitting everything else in my bag pretty well.

Ok so here my question have you adjusted the irons if so has it made a difference or has all the work you put in trying to fix the miss created more problems I had a same issue not as severe as you but found that after resolving the club issue I had a whole new set of problems to work thru

I’m swapping shafts this week, so we will see. I think things will improve quickly.

I’m swapping shafts this week, so we will see. I think things will improve quickly.

I hope they do improve quickly

What OEM did that to youi?

Back