The PGA and Gambling

OverPar247365

Consistently T-20...ish
Reaction score
Handicap
I know it isn't currently possible to do so but there are things in motion to where people will be able to officially gamble on PGA events and such. I was wondering what takes people had and how they think it might impact the game.

I personally think it's a wonderful idea! With daily fantasy sports becoming more of a reality in the everyday sports world, I think the PGA stands to see an tremendous increase in ratings and fans. I would love to see a program coupled with the gambling generated revenue to help grow the game at the youth level. I have absolutely no idea how this would work or if they could even make this happen.

A few questions I have come across in researching this topic to help fuel your thought process...
1) How do you make it fair? (i.e cut off times and disclosure to players)
2) How do the networks incorporate the gambling into their broadcast?
3) Will the individual courses want a cut?
4) Do you see Augusta being a loud enough voice against this to kill it? (assuming they're going to put up a fight)
5) How likely would you be to gamble on the final pairing for a major?

Would love to get some opinions of the crewe on here because I know there is everything from the 40+ handicapper to the PGA pro.

A few questions I have come across in researching this topic to help fuel your thought process...
1) How do you make it fair? (i.e cut off times and disclosure to players)
2) How do the networks incorporate the gambling into their broadcast?
3) Will the individual courses want a cut?
4) Do you see Augusta being a loud enough voice against this to kill it? (assuming they're going to put up a fight)
5) How likely would you be to gamble on the final pairing for a major?

1) Its sports betting. Injuries are something that always exist. It sucks, but gambling is gambling. Cutoffs, I'm not seeing hole to hole betting being feasible unless it is something like "the match" again. Ryder cup could be a possibility. In that case I think bets end at tee shots on each hole or if the book wants to update the line after tee shots then. For strokeplay I think cutoff will be the tee off Sunday morning unless the book is running updated odds. For player disclosures I think there will be ethics review. I doubt people will add strokes since keeping the tour card is hard, but I think there will be a ton of restrictions on personal betting for pros.

2) Unlikely. Maybe some mentions from color commentary, but gambling is not a norm for TV.

3) Depends on terms on how it is rolled out. I think the course could get a cut if local betting is in place like stadiums in UK. Otherwise, I cant see how they can realistically collect.

4) Depending on how stroke play betting works out. They are stuffy, but they actually do some impressive branding and media direction. If any major has a well thought plan on the shelf on how to implement this, its Augusta. If anything I see the USGA being stickler on this.

5) depends on the odds and the accessibility for making bets.

This looks like an old thread, but we have gambling on the PGA Tour now in Indiana which is awesome. Being a resident I have the DraftKings app on my phone and can place a bet all day any day. It is a different than the fantasy app which I also have. I am also a shareholder in DraftKings so please download the apps and make some wagers, it's a lot of fun and puts some tension in the viewing of these events.

Back