Nike 2016 RZN Tour and RZN Speed Golf Balls - Preview Thread

Any reviews yet?

Bought 1 doz of the New RZN Tour Black in the Volt color today! $50/doz out the door...

By chance anyone know for sure which ball the rzn*proto is for retail? Is it the platinum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By chance anyone know for sure which ball the rzn*proto is for retail? Is it the platinum?

Depends, but I read where Rory was testing the Proto and it was he Black version I believe

Depends, but I read where Rory was testing the Proto and it was he Black version I believe

Yeah that's what I'm running into. Some employees say it the black and some say the platinum. Guess I'll try a sleeve of both tomorrow

Platinum has my interest based on their fitting for me online, but the sleeve of Proto I have is going to have to impress me to jump at that price.
Interested to see whether the Proto is Black or Platinum.

Saw these yesterday at Golf Town $60 for a dozen. I'm not willing to drop that much on 12 balls.

Saw these yesterday at Golf Town $60 for a dozen. I'm not willing to drop that much on 12 balls.

Funny because I bought a dozen at $50 to try out and they've been on my front seat. I'm having to much success with other balls that I may return these just so that I am not tempted to try them and like them. That price for a Doz balls is STEEP!!

Honestly Nike Golf, WTF are you doing?

Edit: They're $47 a dozen locally at Golf Galaxy. Which seems high, but not out of line with the market.

Honestly Nike Golf, WTF are you doing?

Edit: They're $47 a dozen locally at Golf Galaxy. Which seems high, but not out of line with the market.

We get screwed in Canada.

Putting the RZNTour Black in play today. Temps should be in the low 50s.

Not the most durable cover I have tested.

Saw the same thing last week when I out the black in play. Also not a huge fan of the feel at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I gave the dozen to war eagle because I didn't care for them last week. The durability was subpar for him.

I gave the dozen to war eagle because I didn't care for them last week. The durability was subpar for him.

I'm not impressed with the durability.

That ball was absolutely shredded after one hole.

I was able to get a round in this afternoon & played the RZN Platinum. I was hesitant since the previous RZN was to hard for me. With the RZN Platinum coming in at 74 compression I wanted to give it a shot as the compression was more in line with what I want/need from a ball to maximize its benefits.

Feel- this is where this version is light years ahead of any other Nike ball I've ever tried. Coming from playing the 2016 Chrome Soft I wasn't able to notice much difference in terms of harshness. Maybe I'm not that good at judging softness, but I can say that this version is not a hard rock or anything remotely close to its predecessor & I enjoyed he feel off every club. I'm really picky when it comes to this area and I never second guessed it. It plays soft and I never once thought I was hitting a rock or a higher compression ball.

Spin- this is an area that is so subjective based on the golfer and the swing we each bring to the table. This is all just the eyeball test, but I didn't notice any negative affects where spin is concerned off my driver, fairway woods or irons. In fact several iron shots hit into the green stopped right at or around their pitch marks. The ball also held its line well into the wind. I had a few tee shots where the wind was into me and I had no complaints on how the ball held up.

In terms of greenside spin, this is where I was confused. My confusion came from hitting several approach shots from a 6i to a PW and the ball stopped right at or near its pitch mark. Could be my short game swing, could be the greens weren't receptive this early in the season, but with wedges the ball didn't check up like I was used to. There was more of a one hop an run out a foot or so. Nothing I can't play around, but definitely not spinning or checking like I'm used to with my wedges.

Distance- I didn't see a drop off in distance between these and the Chrome Softs. I hit a few drives with each ball and they were both within a few yards of each other. That might be a lot to some, but for me that's a non issue. Through the bag I saw the same distances I've come to expect from each club & never had to adjust for lack of distance.

Durability- I played with the same ball through 13 holes and I didn't see any issues with scuffing or tears in the cover. I hit a couple of shots where the ball hit the cart path or clipped a low branch. Before losing it to a bad swing the ball looked good and had no visible tears or scuffs. I came away impressed.

Overall I like the ball. Im curious to see if the greenside spin issue was the greens or these actually do spin less with wedges. The price point will keep these from getting in more bags IMO. There are balls that are $10 less per dzn that perform just as well. I'll be playing these for the foreseeable future and keep some notes to share.

Interesting that you didn't see durability issues. I had a ball last one hole before it was nearly unplayable.

Solid review Mike. I look forward to the day Nike gets one right. I haven't liked a Nike ball since they started making their own

Interesting that you didn't see durability issues. I had a ball last one hole before it was nearly unplayable.

Scuffing, discoloration or tearing? I read that earlier and found it odd you saw that much difference. It's the one thing that I'm picky about also and was pleased with it

Scuffing, discoloration or tearing? I read that earlier and found it odd you saw that much difference. It's the one thing that I'm picky about also and was pleased with it

Scuffing and discoloration. And was unable to clean it up.

Solid review Mike. I look forward to the day Nike gets one right. I haven't liked a Nike ball since they started making their own

I'm right there with you. Usually a Nike ball meant I kept on going to a "better" ball. IMO Nike got this one right. Maybe not all the way (see my greenside spin comment), but it's a complete 180 in a good way from any other ball since they've started manufacturing/designing their own. I think the price point will keep many away from trying though.

Scuffing and discoloration. And was unable to clean it up.

Interesting. I'll ask my buddy I played with if he can check his out. I gave home a sleeve to play and played all 18 with the same ball.

I've tested the platinum over a few rounds and I love the ball. Haven't experienced the same durability issues that JB and War eagle have. I like the ball. The feel over wedges and putter is what I like the most about the new ball. Once I get more shots off the driver and hybrid I post more thoughts.

Another 18 in the books and a few thoughts-

Durability- some have said that these didn't hold up, but for me it's been the opposite. I played one for 13 holes before losing it to a bad swing & other than some scuff marks because I decided to get some cart path assistance, it looked good. I hit a few shots from the sand as well with it.

Spin- my first outing I was concerned with the lack of spin on approach shots and around the green. Not sure if the greens I played today were more receptive, but I was easily spinning these. Approach shots were within a foot of their pitch mark and with wedges I was able to confidently fire at pins and know it would check and not run out like I previously saw.

Distance- I haven't seen any fall off from the chrome soft. In fact just to the naked eye and seeing where my tee shots are landing I would guess I'm seeing an increase in distance with these.

Feel- once again I love how these feel. Nike got it right with these and they are not the hard "rocks" the previous version were.

Overall I like these and will continue to put them in play for the foreseeable future.

Back