PING G30 SF Tec Driver - THP Review Thread

I have the 10 deg, but I struggle to hit it consistently. Some days are right down the
middle, some days all I do is slice. Any of you guys switch from the 10 Deg to the 12 ? I can hit my 15 deg 3 wood straight all day long, that's why I'm thinking about the 12 deg G30.

This one still gets my attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 10 deg, but I struggle to hit it consistently. Some days are right down the
middle, some days all I do is slice. Any of you guys switch from the 10 Deg to the 12 ? I can hit my 15 deg 3 wood straight all day long, that's why I'm thinking about the 12 deg G30.
Not really, but that's because we can move the 10 all the way up to 11.2, which is close enough to 12 for me.

I do hit fades with this at times but that just truly lets me know how jacked up my swing is.

I didn't switch but I do game the 12 degree. I went to a demo day and couldn't get enough height on the 10 degree but the 12 degree was just right for me.

Not really, but that's because we can move the 10 all the way up to 11.2, which is close enough to 12 for me.

I do hit fades with this at times but that just truly lets me know how jacked up my swing is.

I thought the most you could add was 1 deg ??

PING G30 SF Tec Driver - THP Review Thread

Loft is never a bad thing unless it's costing you yardage. I drank the short driver high loft kewl aid the past couple of years. Last year alone I tried an X Hot 13.5*, a G25 12* a SLDR 14* and 5 different K15 12*'s. All nice sticks but I played in a charity outing with the g25 12*. I was piping it down the center but it had rained that morning and I had about 5 balls plug at the 200-205 yd mark. In my trunk was a g30 10.5 the local store let me demo. I brought it out at the turn and started seeing a more piercing flight and with roll was getting around 230-245 yd drives. Accuracy was still there Too.

The next week I had a chance to attend a Ping Demo day at a local range. I tried every shaft with the SF Tec 12* head. Even the Tour 80 stiff and it flew too high. Then I tried the 10* head and not only did I gain roll but also a good 20 yds of carry.

I've been gaming the SF Tec 10* set to the large + with the Tour 65 R for over a year now. Really nice setup for my 90-94 mph swing speed. Usually avg about 220 to 245 depending on course conditions and temps. I can't really ask for anything more given my swing speed.

What shaft and flex are you playing ?
I consider myself a slower tempo swinger type guy and for me the TFC R and S flex shafts were a mess both on the course and at the demo day. Nearly gave up on the g30 until I tried it with the Tour shaft. They only had the Tour 80 S that day and it was even better than the TFC. Distance was longer and dispersion was significantly tighter. I play mine at 45". At 5'4" anything over 45" feels too long for me.

Loft is never a bad thing unless it's costing you yardage. I drank the short driver high loft kewl aid the past couple of years. Last year alone I tried an X Hot 13.5*, a G25 12* a SLDR 14* and 5 different K15 12*'s. All nice sticks but I played in a charity outing with the g25 12*. I was piping it down the center but it had rained that morning and I had about 5 balls plug at the 200-205 yd mark. In my trunk was a g30 10.5 the local store let me demo. I brought it out at the turn and started seeing a more piercing flight and with roll was getting around 230-245 yd drives. Accuracy was still there Too.

The next week I had a chance to attend a Ping Demo day at a local range. I tried every shaft with the SF Tec 12* head. Even the Tour 80 stiff and it flew too high. Then I tried the 10* head and not only did I gain roll but also a good 20 yds of carry.

I've been gaming the SF Tec 10* set to the large + with the Tour 65 R for over a year now. Really nice setup for my 90-94 mph swing speed. Usually avg about 220 to 245 depending on course conditions and temps. I can't really ask for anything more given my swing speed.

What shaft and flex are you playing ?
I consider myself a slower tempo swinger type guy and for me the TFC R and S flex shafts were a mess both on the course and at the demo day. Nearly gave up on the g30 until I tried it with the Tour shaft. They only had the Tour 80 S that day and it was even better than the TFC. Distance was longer and dispersion was significantly tighter. I play mine at 45". At 5'4" anything over 45" feels too long for me.

if the extra loft is gonna help me find the fairway, then that's all I need right now. I'd rather have 200 yard drives that land in the fairway instead of 250 yard drives that land in the lake or three fairways over .I'm using the Tfc stiff shaft, I tried the Tfc regular also

if the extra loft is gonna help me find the fairway, then that's all I need right now. I'd rather have 200 yard drives that land in the fairway instead of 250 yard drives that land in the lake or three fairways over .I'm using the Tfc stiff shaft, I tried the Tfc regular also

How long is your current setup ? I'd pick a shorter driver over more loft if accuracy is what you are after.

The 10* G30 im using is 44.5"

Hmm.

I had problems squaring the face on the TFC staff. I wrote the g30 off until I had a chance to hit it with the Tour shaft. Perhaps another shaft would be a better fit. What is your swing speed and avg total distance you see on the course (GPS marked)?

Hmm.

I had problems squaring the face on the TFC staff. I wrote the g30 off until I had a chance to hit it with the Tour shaft. Perhaps another shaft would be a better fit. What is your swing speed and avg total distance you see on the course (GPS marked)?
Same for me. I wasn't a fan of the TFC shaft at all and wouldn't have bought the club with it.

Hmm... Going to have to try the Tour shaft now out of curiosity.

Tour shaft has worked out pretty good for me so far. I could still play the TFC but I don't get quite the distance out of it as the Tour.

The SF Tec was working out good today.
11/14 and given the soggy wet rainy conditions still got me out there around 230-235 on avg.

My playing partner is around a 3 cap was gaming an Optiforce 10.5 S. He's regularly about 20-30 yds longer than me. Hit his Opti then asked to hit mine and carried mine over top his ball for about 10-15 yds longer total. His eyes lit up and said. Wow this thing's got some pop.

36 holes with this bad boy yesterday...I started with a mediocre swing and the G30's forgiveness helped a lot by keeping me in the fairway with gentle fades. There was distance loss on those shots but all but the absolute worst of them found the fairway, which I will take. I found my swing on the last 18 and was taking this bad boy to pound town. This continues to be a great driver. I'm really happy with it.

13/13 FIR with this bad boy today and I was consistently the longest in our group. It is so much fun and the game is so much easier when you have confidence off tee.

13/13 FIR with this bad boy today and I was consistently the longest in our group. It is so much fun and the game is so much easier when you have confidence off tee.

I keep coming back around to this one. I was hitting the new Cobra drivers in Golfsmith the other day, along with the GBB, then I grabbed a G30 SFTec out of the used bin. No more than 5 yards off my target line with every shot, usually a slight fade. As much as I love the confidence I have in the 910 D2 in my bag, if I get the opportunity to snag a G30 12*, I may just take it.

I had a nice day on the course this driver. Distances are hard to gauge because it is still cool, plus it is still really wet so there's zero roll. I hit a bunch of drives to A position, which was really nice. I did have some misses right later in the round, but even they were playable. I think I had the ball teed too low earlier in the round; seemed to be finding extra distances after tee'ing it up a bit higher.

On a really poor swing day at a tight course I'd never played before and with a lot of rain and wind I still somehow hit 8/14 fairways. That somehow is this club's forgiveness and technology.

My nephew has a Nike Vapor that he hits around 260, he bought the Ping G30 LS TEC, and drives it 30 yrds longer, around 290. His Vapor is now in retirement as a back-up.

I'm looking for one at the right $, at least I'm trying to hold out, but with the season quickly approaching I'm prolly gonna bite the ball, break down and just buy one... The nephew just loves his...

I am still loving this driver. I know others comment about the sound/feel, but it's all good for me. I lofted it up this weekend and hit more fairways with towering - probably too high - trajectories.

I thought nothing would ever push my Cobra ZLE out of my bag. When the G30 was introduced, a couple of friends bought it, and of course, I tried their's a few times. I loved it so much, I started trying to find a shaft that equated to the one in the G30. Finally, once the G series was introduced, I broke down and just bought a G30 (okay, I'm cheap). 2nd best golf decision I've ever made (the best was buying my Heavenwood).

While I was reasonably accurate with my ZLE, my distance was nothing to crow about. With my G30, I am even more accurate (currently average 80% FIR), and I am 10-15 yards longer than I was with my ZLE. I honestly do not know if it's the head, the shaft, my confidence with it, or some combination of the 3. All I know is that I'm driving the ball better and longer than I have in my entire golfing life. As kapp said, the game is so much more fun when you're confident off the tee. It's even more fun when you're consistently playing from the short grass.

One last note ... One of my friends who's G30 I first tried recently traded it for a new G. Even he admits that he needs to tweet it a bit before he's back to hitting it as well as he did with his G30. Point being, he never should have traded it. The G30 is just one of those sticks that flat out works.

Same here, still loving mine. I haven't had the devil in my head say to look at others....yet lol

Back