The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

We are successfully under contract to purchase our first home!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Good luck to you guys

Congrats, that's fantastic

Needless to say another disappointed turnout from our two open houses this weekend. Had several people stop, grab a flyer from the box and move on. Yesterday was an absolute fail as not one person stopped. Could have been due to the rain, but my hope for the FSBO route is crushing my patience.

My wife was saying down that way that there's no way you should be paying 8%. In Green it's customary for commission to be 6% of the first 100k and 4% thereafter. And of course commission is always negotiable.

If you guys go the realtor route, my wife can refer you to her sister who is one of the top 10 realtors in Summit and Stark counties.

Talked to my wife about this and when we head this route Ill definitely be giving you a ring.

8%? Man.. That would get the house sold fast depending on how the split was done but that seems really high lol

What company out of curiosity, and if it is not mine, would you like the name and phone number of someone who may not charge quite so much?

Cutler was the realtor. Definitely couldn't hurt and would be something we are interested in pursing in a few weeks.

Needless to say another disappointed turnout from our two open houses this weekend. Had several people stop, grab a flyer from the box and move on. Yesterday was an absolute fail as not one person stopped. Could have been due to the rain, but my hope for the FSBO route is crushing my patience.

Talked to my wife about this and when we head this route Ill definitely be giving you a ring.

Cutler was the realtor. Definitely couldn't hurt and would be something we are interested in pursing in a few weeks.
Do you have the house priced to move? I've sold three houses FSBO in the past 8 years and not one has lasted longer than a month. That said I priced then competitively for the area.

How did you come to your price?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Do you have the house priced to move? I've sold three houses FSBO in the past 8 years and not one has lasted longer than a month. That said I priced then competitively for the area.

How did you come to your price?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We feel we are slightly lower than a few other houses in the area. We actually priced our home based off a neighbor's that sold back in December and input from my wife's mothers ex-realtor friend. We have more square footage than they did.

Well Dawn's house officially went on the market this afternoon and she received a full price offer around 8:30 tonight. I thought it would go quickly, didn't think it would be that quick.

Looks like a mid-April closing, so we will really start our house search towards the beginning of April.

Well Dawn's house officially went on the market this afternoon and she received a full price offer around 8:30 tonight. I thought it would go quickly, didn't think it would be that quick.

Looks like a mid-April closing, so we will really start our house search towards the beginning of April.

Congrats!

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like the feeling of owning your first home.

Congrats on the quick sale. Are you guys going to stay in the same general area?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Congratulations! There's nothing quite like the feeling of owning your first home.

Congrats on the quick sale. Are you guys going to stay in the same general area?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
We are going to stay on her side of Indy, close to her family. We have kinda started looking already but trying not to get too far ahead of ourselves. The fact that house sold in about 8 hours caught us really off guard.

Has us on edge too because it means if we see something we like, we might have to act really quickly.

We are going to stay on her side of Indy, close to her family. We have kinda started looking already but trying not to get too far ahead of ourselves. The fact that house sold in about 8 hours caught us really off guard.

Has us on edge too because it means if we see something we like, we might have to act really quickly.
Sounds like the market here for really desirable homes. We went from seeing our house to accepted offer in about 8 hours too.

Sounds like the market here for really desirable homes. We went from seeing our house to accepted offer in about 8 hours too.

It is crazy how fast it can happen and from what I understand a good portion of the areas surrounding Indy is like this right now. Should make it very interesting.

We bought our house 5+ years ago and now similar homes on our circle are going for $75,000 more than what we paid...crazy.
We wouldn't be able to afford this area today and it's a given that our taxes will be going up.

Put the townhouse on the market Saturday morning and had 3 showings yesterday.

Received great feedback from all three, so we shall see.

Inventory is extremely slow in the area, so we are not finding many houses that we even want to go look at.

We bought our house 5+ years ago and now similar homes on our circle are going for $75,000 more than what we paid...crazy.
We wouldn't be able to afford this area today and it's a given that our taxes will be going up.
We have a similar situation we bought our house a year and a half ago. The builder is now charging 40k more than what we paid. It is pretty insane really. Just hope it keeps going up up and up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Put the townhouse on the market Saturday morning and had 3 showings yesterday.

Received great feedback from all three, so we shall see.

Inventory is extremely slow in the area, so we are not finding many houses that we even want to go look at.

Do you have a rental option in case you get an offer you can't refuse?

Do you have a rental option in case you get an offer you can't refuse?

We have a couple options, so that puts the mind at ease.

We have a similar situation we bought our house a year and a half ago. The builder is now charging 40k more than what we paid. It is pretty insane really. Just hope it keeps going up up and up

The only positive with that is if you're selling soon. If you're staying, the increase in prices is going to drive taxes up.

The only positive with that is if you're selling soon. If you're staying, the increase in prices is going to drive taxes up.
I am fine with that our taxes are next to nothing anyway our assessment went up about 30k for this year and our taxes only went up about $200 which in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal. Also with my job I never truly know if I get offered way more in another part of the country I am going so I want the value there if we have to move. May be a move to California coming actually need to explore all the details of it.

I would think this applies more to us considering we live in NY and the taxes are ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I am fine with that our taxes are next to nothing anyway our assessment went up about 30k for this year and our taxes only went up about $200 which in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal. Also with my job I never truly know if I get offered way more in another part of the country I am going so I want the value there if we have to move. May be a move to California coming actually need to explore all the details of it.

If that's the case, then you're making out like a bandit. Hopefully the demand will be there if/when you go to sell.

I would think this applies more to us considering we live in NY and the taxes are ridiculous.

That sucks.

The People's Republic of California will be happy to have you. No "blue" laws and year around golf awaits. :D

So I saw something pop up today and it got me thinking. Should I look into buying a 2 bed, 2 bath duplex unit for around 65k? I'm currently renting a shoebox of an apartment from an old lady in a sketch neighborhood for $350/month and it's looking like I'm going to be in this city for awhile now that I have a good job. I could possibly get a roommate if needed. What would a mortgage on that look like and is it a good idea? Completely clueless on these types of things.

All dependent on your credit/financial situation but a mortgage on a 65K house would be really small. You could probably rent a room out and pay for the whole thing.

All dependent on your credit/financial situation but a mortgage on a 65K house would be really small. You could probably rent a room out and pay for the whole thing.

At that low of a price, he will have difficulty finding lenders who will do a mortgage for that low. There's just not enough margin for the banks to go that low. I'm not saying it's impossible but one would definitely want to call several mortgage companies and find out what they'll do.

Back