Rules Pondering Question

KY Golfer

It's for Kentucky, Lol #Paradise4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
So I'm watching the Players, and Bryson is on the 17th tee, with club in hand, figuring out all his metrics with his caddie.

The camera is showing the group on the tee from behind the green and Bubba walks over to Bryson's bag to see what club is missing and walk back to his bag.

This made me think, What is really the difference in asking Bryson what club he's using other than saying "What club you got"?

My question is not one of "Is Bubba cheating", because I know he isn't. My question is "Why is that any different then asking"?

Just another instance where some of the rules are questionable.

So I'm watching the Players, and Bryson is on the 17th tee, with club in hand, figuring out all his metrics with his caddie.

The camera is showing the group on the tee from behind the green and Bubba walks over to Bryson's bag to see what club is missing and walk back to his bag.

This made me think, What is really the difference in asking Bryson what club he's using other than saying "What club you got"?

My question is not one of "Is Bubba cheating", because I know he isn't. My question is "Why is that any different then asking"?

Just another instance where some of the rules are questionable.

You learn the same info, so there’s no real difference. One requires you to look though vs them sharing the info with you. It’s kind of a stupid loophole.

Another rule of questionable reasoning. What does it matter? Does the question REALLY give a competitive advantage? As an example, if Zach Johnson walked up to Brooks Koepka and asked him what club he was using, what advantage would be gained by ZJ? He simply can't hit it as far as BK.

I agree. Just another rule that needs to go away. Changing rules doesn't simplify. Eliminating confusing rules does.

Another rule of questionable reasoning. What does it matter? Does the question REALLY give a competitive advantage? As an example, if Zach Johnson walked up to Brooks Koepka and asked him what club he was using, what advantage would be gained by ZJ? He simply can't hit it as far as BK.

when healthy, I hit my 8i 160 and my 7i 175. My playing partner, on a good drive, gets 180 out of it with his driver. It always makes me laugh when he asks what I am using. We pull up to a par 3 over water, 180. I am going to club up 1 and play my 6 and he is like, "what club you using?" not the same one you are...you best be using your driver, not that 8 you have in your hand...

While it is a dumb rule, eliminating it can quickly turn from “what club are you using?” Into “was the bunker lie soft and fluffy?”

It is a slippery slope to allow advice conversation.

Back