mdowney58

Reaction score
Handicap
My son texted me this picture, asking if he gets free relief.
That is a cart path.
Obviously, it would depend on whether he's hitting the ball Left or Right (as denoted on the picture)
I say if he's hitting to the Right, he gets relief, and if my memory serves, the ball placement should be where he can hit it while STANDING off the cart path.
However, if he's hitting to the left, does the damaged ground where the ball lies, fall under "ground under repair" and allow for relief?
If that were grass where the ball lies, and he were hitting Left, I'd say no relief.
ea32ba2b0f7fa8d7afb24ae3415f829c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe you get relief from the cart path regardless but with the new damage ground rule I still think it is a yes.

Not until later last evening, my son advised me of the direction that he had to hit the ball, as depicted in the below picture.
This IMO is definitely free relief, due to the high probability of striking the cart path with his club.

But I still would like a rules guru to let me know: using my first picture in the original post, if the intended direction were Left, and there is no chance of striking the cart path with the club, does the condition of the ground allow relief?
0c8ad7adc825534c81aa639e93b1ca6b.jpg

I think if you're within a club length of the cart path you always get relief.

Great one. I’m in to hear the answer.... and if it isn’t relief, then my goodness....

if the cart path would interfere with ones stance or swing then I believe its relievable even though the ball is not specifically on it. But this (due to the tire rut) imo would also have to be ground under repair as well. Either way I think relief is correct.

Three things are at play here. Cart path, ground under repair and tyre ruts.

With tyre ruts, you will only get relief if they are subject to a local rule stating that relief is possible from any tyre damage through the course or on specific parts of the course, but it has to be obvious that it is tyre damage. The damage shown is definitely tyre damage, so you are relying on a local rule if playing to the LEFT.

GUR is obviously a relief situation, but any GUR area has to be marked showing the full area covered by the GUR. In the photo no such markings are visible so you would not be able to claim GUR relief. No player can claim an area is deemed GUR without any markings.

With the cart path, again be careful as some roads and paths on a golf course are 'Integral part of the course' and free relief is not possible. Check the local rulles on the card or in clubhouse.

However, it is more likely than not that a cart path will be covered within the free relief remit. If said cart path interferes with Stance, Ball or Swing you would be entitled to relief. From the stated direction of play I would definitely say that relief would be possible, as unless your lad only has one leg, one of his feet will almost certainly be on the path, but also the proximity of the ball to the path means that the club would certainly strike the path on the follow through and so relief is possible.

Thanks for all the input.
The rule for Abnormal Course Conditions doesn't appear to apply either, as it appears to only include
Animal Holes,
Ground Under Repair,
Immovable obstructions, &
Temporary water.

Last edited:
Unless it's marked as GUR or there's a local role, as stated previously, he's not getting relief from the rut using those normal rules.

Being that he was heading across the path, I'm guessing his foot will be on the path so he'd certainly get relief in that aspect.

He could also get relief if his swing is interfered with the cart path on the follow through.

If he found that tire rut anywhere else on the course, he wouldn't get relief... unless marked as GUR.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input.
The rule for Abnormal Course Conditions doesn't appear to apply either, as it appears to only include
Animal Holes,
Ground Under Repair,
Immovable obstructions, &
Temporary water.

Yeah the GUR is always fuzzy since it needs to be marked.... Although many courses are not as on top of that as we would like.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back