USGA in the spotlight again: HV3 penalized after rules official's mistake.

Wow that's pretty interesting.
Seems like maybe there should be something in place to review/appeal some of these penalties after applying some common sense.

Now that is embarrassing. A player makes every attempt to do everything the right way, a scorer screws up and thr player is penalized.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

The rule makes sense to me. The guys first example was silly, but the 2nd point is one that is valid IMO.

Moved to its own thread

USGA in the spotlight again: HV3 penalized after rules official's mistake.

"[FONT=&quot]According to PGA Tour vice president of rules and competition Mark Russell, Varner “had a problem” with his driver on the range before starting play Thursday morning and did not want to put it in play. He wanted to have a new driver brought out to him during the round, which would have been allowed under the Rules of Golf since he planned to start the round with only 13 clubs.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]But an issue arose because Varner wanted to put a new driver head on the shaft of his existing driver. Players are not allowed to assemble or adjust equipment on the course during competition."[/FONT]
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ha...N1T9HGvCyZo84KKNw0EtPTNFuJ-qOzSYXLS5uhoHa2XYg

This has to be the year of finding all of the bad rules and showing why they are bad.

What do you guys think? Should this rule go away? Should he have been penalized?

Also, the comments made by the PGA VP of rules come across as very sexist for absolutely no reason.

maybe he should have handed it to his "team member" instead of leaving it on the ground

Couldn't they have just put it down again, the person assembled it, then run it out there to them?

And don't the officials have walkie talkies? A simple "hey, leave the driver on the teebox" could have avoided it no?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Faldo, "That's never been done before....." In reference to someone purposely playing w/ 13 clubs, seeing what the course conditions are like and then having someone build a club to accommodate said course conditions and adding it to the bag for the 14th during the round.

I really think there needs to be "intent" added to such rulings. While rule such is broken, there needs to be common sense taken into account on these rulings. I get it.....that's why rules are there so that is's black or white. But come on.........

the rule itself makes sense to me in a day where so many clubs are adjustable. It's too bad, for Varner, he clearly did not want this to happen and tried to make sure things would go the right way. Just reading over the rule, it's pretty clear and simple....When adding or replacing a club during play the player must not build a club from parts carried by anyone for the player during the round.

Just a classic example of golf sticking by a rule rather than making a sensable ruling.

Faldo, "That's never been done before....." In reference to someone purposely playing w/ 13 clubs, seeing what the course conditions are like and then having someone build a club to accommodate said course conditions and adding it to the bag for the 14th during the round.

I really think there needs to be "intent" added to such rulings. While rule such is broken, there needs to be common sense taken into account on these rulings. I get it.....that's why rules are there so that is's black or white. But come on.........
That's the ironic part even when asked Mark Russell said, "it's a gray area". Then when Faldo point blank asked, "What is the right way to have done it?" the response didn't address the question!

Just wow. The lady scorer maybe should have asked a question. I understand the rule, but think it was a bogus penalty and should have been appealed and overturned.

The rule makes sense of he were trying to break the rule purposely. It sounds like he was cautious on his end and it sucks he's being penalized for something he didn't purposely do. There should definitely be a review process for something like this.

While I have some sympathy for those involved, come on HV3 you're a big boy, take care of your own equipment. Why do you even have spare parts with you to begin your round?

The rule itself and whether it's silly or not can be debated

While I have some sympathy for those involved, come on HV3 you're a big boy, take care of your own equipment. Why do you even have spare parts with you to begin your round?

The rule itself and whether it's silly or not can be debated
Did you read what happened? His driver was cracked before the round, so he talked to the rules official about how to correct the issue legally. He put the officials plan into place and a scorer brought him the old club.

Faldo's look said it all in the explanation.

Faldo's look said it all in the explanation.

yeah that explanation made sense but didn't make sense. That scenario wasn't going to happen. But I still think the rules official got it right here.

yeah that explanation made sense but didn't make sense. That scenario wasn't going to happen. But I still think the rules official got it right here.

A bit. Varner tried to do all the right things but still got it wrong, and that kinda sucks for him.

Back