What A Difference In Scoring.....

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Made it out a couple times in the mudfield quagmire that is NC Ohio right now. I’m dealing with some health things so my swing hasn’t been in the least bit pretty. I’m a story teller so I’ll eventually get to my point, if you care to read on....

So to start, I played competitively 20ish years ago. At one point I was a +2.2 at my best. Never near good enough to even think about going pro (although it crossed my mind-until I played regularly with a guy that was trying to get on the senior tour and he was so much better than me it wasn’t funny-and he never made it on the SENIOR tour). Started looking at raising a family and golf tapered off into an almost never thing, until it was a never thing for almost 10 years.

So I came back to the game about 5 years ago. First round back I shot a 69* -2. Aided by a few things I’ll get to later and a legit HIO on a short par 4. Going -3 on a hole tends to help the final score, lol. Played a lot of golf around par until last season. Sure I still had the occasional blowup round that was embarrassing where nothing went right but in general I was anywhere from -3 to 5 over*

Ok, to the asterisks. I wasn’t playing legitimate golf. I fluffed every lie. I’d take a Mulligan here and there if I lake’d one or hit it OOB. Never more than one a 9 for sure, but that can be 4 strokes. Per nine. Chopping out of thick rough versus having a perfect fluffed lie, another stroke to 2 every time. I thought I was still a scratch to plus golfer. Heck, I was just out to have fun. I actually liked being in the rough when I played this way, lol. It’s not penal when you can basically tee it up:)

So beginning of last season I bought an Albatross Club membership here. Mainly so that I could enter for a chance to win one of many “once in a lifetime” type golf trips that are offered here. With doing so, I figured I better start playing by the rules and establish an official HC since most all events are handicapped. I very rapidly went from a “scratchish” type golfer to a 6.something. An end of the season slump has me currently at an 8.8. Golf is hard with no mulligans and playing by the rules. Pretty dang easy when you fluff every lie.

So to start this season, I have 2 nines of basically even par*. I’d take that to be encouraging except the fact that it’s so muddy here and the only course that will let us on it is closed, so we have to play LCP. Heck, half of our shots plug and there’s little grass around so you find a small clump close to where your ball is and set it (I.e. tee it up) on that. I’ve played par golf hitting no more than 4i off the tee (short course anyways, only 6k yards tipped out). I’ve hit 80%+ FIR and almost 100% GIR. Throw in half the greens we give ourselves a 2 putt max due to sticks being on them everywhere and it’d be difficult for me not to shoot around par.

So what does that tell me? Am I better than last year? Not likely. I’ve hardly swung a club in 4months. It tells me I’m a damn good golfer if I can fluff every lie. If every lie is like hitting off of a tee, yeah I’m a golfing force.

In reality I’m somewhere around a 6-8 HC. Playing by the rules can be a real buzzkill. If I throw in a mulligan a round and fluffing every lie, I go from a 6-8 HC to a scratchish golfer. Heck, I’m probably even there just by fluffing every lie. I haven’t missed a green yet this season from inside 150 yards fluffing every lie. It’s even been windy as all get out. Usually 150 is a hard GW or a medium PW. I’ve hit a few 7i from there (moon balls plague me). But with perfect lies, Golf is so much easier.

I golf frequently with my dad. He’s a mid 90’s golfer. Playing as I stated above with the “preferable” lies. When I played the same as him I gave him a stroke a hole and we were about equal. Last year he took joy in beating me most rounds. Me playing by the rules, him playing how he enjoys it (heck I even enjoy that more, but I want to be legit if I can get into an event). I didn’t play very well last year, especially at the end of it, but I also played 100% by the rules when posting rounds.

I just wanted to point out from my perspective how different scoring is when you play by the rules versus teeing up (basically) every shot. It was a stark reminder when due to conditions (outside of posting season) how I went from an 8 HC to basically scratch just from giving myself good lies every shot.

TL:DR- By improving every lie I can cut off 8ish strokes a round. Golf is easy when every ball is teed up.

It might be even more, or it could be less. It definitely increases the odds that you'll hit a better shot, but unless you're a tour caliber player, it's not a given. You still have to hit that narrow window while swinging a thin piece of steel at terminal velocity trying to hit a small ball with an angled face. While I don't advocate "cheating" or taking advantage in any THP event or really, any sanctioned event, if you and your dad or buddies are good with increasing the odds, go for it. I'm still learning, I play a lot by myself, mainly because I like the solitude, of getting out and not competing against anyone, just hitting a ball, . If I need to, I take a drop, etc. When I play in scrambles, I play straight up. Personally, I say do whatever makes you happy!

Last edited:
Interesting post.

Next time you're out, if the opportunity presents itself, after each tee shot play a second ball. The first from the original lie, and the second from the fluffed lie. You might get a better idea of how improving your lie helps your score.

Last edited:
Made it out a couple times in the mudfield quagmire that is NC Ohio right now. I’m dealing with some health things so my swing hasn’t been in the least bit pretty. I’m a story teller so I’ll eventually get to my point, if you care to read on....

So to start, I played competitively 20ish years ago. At one point I was a +2.2 at my best. Never near good enough to even think about going pro (although it crossed my mind-until I played regularly with a guy that was trying to get on the senior tour and he was so much better than me it wasn’t funny-and he never made it on the SENIOR tour). Started looking at raising a family and golf tapered off into an almost never thing, until it was a never thing for almost 10 years.

So I came back to the game about 5 years ago. First round back I shot a 69* -2. Aided by a few things I’ll get to later and a legit HIO on a short par 4. Going -3 on a hole tends to help the final score, lol. Played a lot of golf around par until last season. Sure I still had the occasional blowup round that was embarrassing where nothing went right but in general I was anywhere from -3 to 5 over*

Ok, to the asterisks. I wasn’t playing legitimate golf. I fluffed every lie. I’d take a Mulligan here and there if I lake’d one or hit it OOB. Never more than one a 9 for sure, but that can be 4 strokes. Per nine. Chopping out of thick rough versus having a perfect fluffed lie, another stroke to 2 every time. I thought I was still a scratch to plus golfer. Heck, I was just out to have fun. I actually liked being in the rough when I played this way, lol. It’s not penal when you can basically tee it up:)

So beginning of last season I bought an Albatross Club membership here. Mainly so that I could enter for a chance to win one of many “once in a lifetime” type golf trips that are offered here. With doing so, I figured I better start playing by the rules and establish an official HC since most all events are handicapped. I very rapidly went from a “scratchish” type golfer to a 6.something. An end of the season slump has me currently at an 8.8. Golf is hard with no mulligans and playing by the rules. Pretty dang easy when you fluff every lie.

So to start this season, I have 2 nines of basically even par*. I’d take that to be encouraging except the fact that it’s so muddy here and the only course that will let us on it is closed, so we have to play LCP. Heck, half of our shots plug and there’s little grass around so you find a small clump close to where your ball is and set it (I.e. tee it up) on that. I’ve played par golf hitting no more than 4i off the tee (short course anyways, only 6k yards tipped out). I’ve hit 80%+ FIR and almost 100% GIR. Throw in half the greens we give ourselves a 2 putt max due to sticks being on them everywhere and it’d be difficult for me not to shoot around par.

So what does that tell me? Am I better than last year? Not likely. I’ve hardly swung a club in 4months. It tells me I’m a damn good golfer if I can fluff every lie. If every lie is like hitting off of a tee, yeah I’m a golfing force.

In reality I’m somewhere around a 6-8 HC. Playing by the rules can be a real buzzkill. If I throw in a mulligan a round and fluffing every lie, I go from a 6-8 HC to a scratchish golfer. Heck, I’m probably even there just by fluffing every lie. I haven’t missed a green yet this season from inside 150 yards fluffing every lie. It’s even been windy as all get out. Usually 150 is a hard GW or a medium PW. I’ve hit a few 7i from there (moon balls plague me). But with perfect lies, Golf is so much easier.

I golf frequently with my dad. He’s a mid 90’s golfer. Playing as I stated above with the “preferable” lies. When I played the same as him I gave him a stroke a hole and we were about equal. Last year he took joy in beating me most rounds. Me playing by the rules, him playing how he enjoys it (heck I even enjoy that more, but I want to be legit if I can get into an event). I didn’t play very well last year, especially at the end of it, but I also played 100% by the rules when posting rounds.

I just wanted to point out from my perspective how different scoring is when you play by the rules versus teeing up (basically) every shot. It was a stark reminder when due to conditions (outside of posting season) how I went from an 8 HC to basically scratch just from giving myself good lies every shot.

TL:DR- By improving every lie I can cut off 8ish strokes a round. Golf is easy when every ball is teed up.

I am living proof that this is a false theory.

Should have said easier:)

A lot of it too is I play some goat tracks on a regular basis. You’re never guaranteed a decent lie in any fairway but most decent courses you generally have one. The three I play the most don’t water their fairways at all. The most run down one you’re as liable to be on bare ground as you are a patch of grass. I’ll have to take some pictures next time out. Since I’m generally paying for 3-4 (kids) I can’t afford to play the nicer ones that often. I’ve been really close to getting a CC Membership but I’d never get to play with my dad and I do like playing a variety of courses. So I’m stuck in goat track golf heaven.

This is about as true as it gets ...

It's interesting because like you say sometimes it takes the fun out of it.

I'm a "play by the rules" guy, and most every game I play is comp. We do have preferred lies on some of the really country courses but only on the "fairways"

The advantage of playing by the rules is that you never have to question where you are at or whether your cap is real. The disadvantage is that it can be a tough slog and some days you just gotta grind it out.

My first advice for anyone who wants to get "serious" is to play by the rules, just to get used to hitting those tough shots and holing every putt.

But for the beginners and social golfers it can really ruin the fun.

My kids are just starting and I read the modified rules for the junior tour and they are great. But only apply until they get handicaps.

Great post,good discussion but I say do what you need to to keep it fun and keep you coming back next week.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

OMG! This is me for sure! I was the same as you. I would fluff most lies, take illegal drops on the line of flight for a lost ball, take Mulligans, take gimme putts sometimes as long as three foot. I was a 10.2 handicap, yeah right! After playing all rounds from about mid-august last year as tournament rounds I have difficulty breaking 90 and an trending upwards of a 14 handicap. I suspect if I don't start shooting better as soon as the low 80 rounds drop off of my history I will be closer to a 16 handicap. I am now following the new rule of a two-stroke penalty and dropping in the Fairway for a lost ball or out of bounds ball. My last few rounds I have had anywhere from 4 to 10 penalty strokes per round. It's also amazing how many two or three foot putts I miss!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Back