PGA Tour Par 3 Length

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What's your preference on PGA Tour par 3 length?

Long irons over 200 yards?
Mid irons around 160-180?
Short irons around 140-150 with lots of trouble?

I like the short irons with trouble for sure. Makes the short holes super fun to watch.

Honestly all of the above. If a course has 2 of the same distance par 3s then they just hit the same club, at least mix it up

But the short with trouble are extra fun because they should be "easy" but never are

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

the long iron par 3s are kinda dumb.

i like the mid- and short-iron par 3s with difficult hole locations, and trouble everywhere.

I like both long irons and short irons with trouble. Although, I don't like 17 at TPC Sawgrass. At least not for this tournament. Too gimmicky IMO.

All I know is that I wish my mid irons went 180 haha

All 3 and maybe one in the 100-125 range.

140-150 with lots of trouble. It makes things more interesting. I think its gives more opportunities for the incredible saves

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I love watching the mid-irons on the longer side, 175-195 area. You get to see a lot of variety from the field at that distance.

The Postage Stamp at Troon and the 7th at Pebble show that under 120 yards can still command respect and sphincter control.

Their mid irons are 200 so I'd vote for 225+ with trouble. Lets see the best having to hit long irons and hybrids into par 3's like some of us mortals often have to

Option 3 if those are the only options

But I would like an option 2 but add in trouble - make it more interesting

Short irons, lots of trouble. There aren't a lot of pros who really sweat their 5 iron that much. It's a chance for course designers to add distance to the course without actually making the course more dangerous or interesting, IMO.

Short irons or wedges into small greens where a good shot is a 2 or 3 and a bad shot is usually a 5+ is much more interesting, and I think fits the bill of the most iconic par 3's in golfs history...12 at Augusta, 17 at Sawgrass, 8 at Royal Troon, all short par 3's, all iconic and dramatic holes.

All I know is that I wish my mid irons went 180 haha

I know that's a 4 iron or a Heavenwood depending on the temp and conditions.

I also like the mid- and short-iron par 3s with difficult hole locations, and trouble everywhere.

My favorite par is 12 at Augusta. It’s not long but is so challenging.

One long one would be good with the rest short to mid-length with some design features and possible hole locations that really makes the player think about the shot rather than just simply launching a short iron at the hole.

I like short with lots of trouble. that's how I prefer to play them myself, and it's how I like to watch them. I like forcing a player to stick it close if they want even a shot at par.

I feel like a good design has all of those. I have no preferences for the guys on the PGA Tour.

Short with lots of trouble. The big thing they could do is make greens smaller and make them really have to hit a great shot.

I like variety for par 3s. I think short with trouble makes wonderful drama.

I think long par 3s around 230-250 are also exciting. But they need to have a dead side or interesting undulations on the green for drama otherwise they are very boring holes.

I think mid length par 3s get lost in drama of short holes and the perceived difficulty of the long ones.

Just give me variety and misses that are unrecoverable. Par 3s should play above par.

I'd want a steady mix but if I only get one choice, give me the short irons. I want to see them throw darts.

One par three that requires a long iron or hybrid but can be held with those clubs or will accept a low run up shot. One hole that can be reached with a wedge or at most a 9-iron but has a small green, some adjacent trouble and maybe a forced carry. The other two holes can be somewhere in between length wise and hopefully mix it up with the trouble. Always nice if at least one of the two in between have enough tee box options to move up or back when conditions call for it. Especially if they involve longer carries over water or a waste area.....

Like to see similar variety on the courses I play but just need the right lengths & tee box options to make the clubbing work for us amateurs.....

I like a combination of all of those on a course. If I can only choose one, it's a mid iron choice around 170 +/- 10 yds.

I like the short ones with a lot of trouble. They can cause a lot of drama and be a game changer in the event plus it's fun trying to see the players get out of a tough situation.

I honestly think there needs to be more 240-270 yard holes with interesting features around the green and some trouble on 1 side with the ability to still use the ground game.

Back