Your thoughts on TP5 vs Pro v1

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
This season, though I haven't played much, I had been trying to put the TP5 through its paces. I fell in love with its distance off the tee last year so I bought a few dozen.

Problem is I still have about 12 dozen Pro V1s on my shelf, and want go through them as much as possible before I start buying more balls.

The other day, I was striking the ball really well. Better than ever maybe, so after my round, i walked out the 9th hole and decided to do some 100ish yard pitches into the green with the two different balls.

I found that I was able to spin the titleist back (like really zip it) on well struck shots, whereas the TP5 was more of the drop and stop I am used to seeing when I don't hit a ball as perfectly as I should. I was really surprised by this, and it sort of has me rethinking making the switch.

Does anyone have a similar experience or a complete opposite?

I don't like spinning my wedges much, and I'm not great at it anyway, so I'm no help there. I've played with the ProV 1 a lot more (as that seems to be what I find most in the woods lol), but the times I've played with the TP5 I've really enjoyed it. I keep the TP5 in play more off the tee and I'm always impressed with it.

Personally, I much prefer drop and stop action. I have enough problem figuring out how far to hit the ball much less have to worry about how far it will come back once it gets there! :act-up:

According to mine there appears to be. Thats why I'm asking if people have had similar or complete opposite experiences.

I played both balls interchangeably most of last year. I saw no difference between them. I could probably color over the logos and be hard pressed to tell you which ball was which. The biggest difference is the TM ball’s seam isn’t as well hidden as the Titleist’s.

According to mine there appears to be. Thats why I'm asking if people have had similar or complete opposite experiences.

HAHA. i love this response. I agree Peter and that's why i started playing ProV1 towards the end of the year. Better spin control for me that I wasn't seeing with a previous ball I was gaming. TP5 was too much spin for me causing distance loss but the proV1 kept up distance wise with previous gamer but felt soft off wedges and putter and that's where the difference was for me.

HAHA. i love this response. I agree Peter and that's why i started playing ProV1 towards the end of the year. Better spin control for me that I wasn't seeing with a previous ball I was gaming. TP5 was too much spin for me causing distance loss but the proV1 kept up distance wise with previous gamer but felt soft off wedges and putter and that's where the difference was for me.

Interesting. So you basically saw the opposite. I am seeing roughly the same carry distance in the two balls, but the TP5 seems to roll out a bit more, and spin less around the greens. I wouldn't say it doesn't spin enough, but on shots where I was really trying to get the ball to spin back, I could with the pro v1, and the tp5 would just stop.

I found the TP5 to be a "premium" ball off the driver and on/around the greens with very good wind resistance, but more of a "distance" ball off the irons

Ignore my name, lol.

I’ve found very little difference between any premium ball for someone that’s a mid single digit HC and hits it a long ways (driver CHS is 120ish playing, 130ish when needed). In the end a ball emerged as “best for me” based on its ability to fight the wind and its the AVX. I once last year played a 512 yard par 5 into 5-8mph wind with driver/GW-with the AVX. I’ve never played that hole with less than 8i in, into any wind or even absent wind. When a round matters to me, I’ll open a sleeve of AVX. For me they spin 300-400 less off of driver than any other premium ball I’ve tried, which makes a HUGE difference when you’re a high spin player. I don’t have any suck back action on wedges, but they pretty much stay where I send them-which is even better for me than guessing if they’ll come back 10-30 feet.

When a round doesn’t matter much, I find most any premium ball to perform the same, including Top Flights Urethane covered ball. The TP5 and TP5x are great balls. But for me, they’re no better than Urethane covered balls that I can get for $10-$20 dollars a dozen. Granted my skill level might not be able to coax the last possible ounce out of them but I’d rather hook an 80¢ Top Flight Tour into a lake than a $4.00 Titleist.

I would be tempted to go Pro V1, now that they are available in yellow. My 58 year old eyes can track the ball flight so much better in yellow. I know that begs the question, but my direct answer is that I have played both (last year’s version) and I do not feel like my score would be any different with either ball. The Pro V1 did spin a little better for me around the greens than last years TP5, but the TP5 was probably a little longer. Thus, each had a trade off to which I could adjust.

Haven’t tried either 2019 iteration but the TP5 is/was a great ball specifically in windy conditions

Ignore my name, lol.

I’ve found very little difference between any premium ball for someone that’s a mid single digit HC and hits it a long ways (driver CHS is 120ish playing, 130ish when needed). In the end a ball emerged as “best for me” based on its ability to fight the wind and its the AVX. I once last year played a 512 yard par 5 into 5-8mph wind with driver/GW-with the AVX. I’ve never played that hole with less than 8i in, into any wind or even absent wind. When a round matters to me, I’ll open a sleeve of AVX. For me they spin 300-400 less off of driver than any other premium ball I’ve tried, which makes a HUGE difference when you’re a high spin player. I don’t have any suck back action on wedges, but they pretty much stay where I send them-which is even better for me than guessing if they’ll come back 10-30 feet.

When a round doesn’t matter much, I find most any premium ball to perform the same, including Top Flights Urethane covered ball. The TP5 and TP5x are great balls. But for me, they’re no better than Urethane covered balls that I can get for $10-$20 dollars a dozen. Granted my skill level might not be able to coax the last possible ounce out of them but I’d rather hook an 80¢ Top Flight Tour into a lake than a $4.00 Titleist.
Thanks for the input. I am not sure I want to guess how far it will come back either, especially if I'm off a little to either side.

I think the observation of the titlesit giving more spin is what got my head spinning. In my head I tell myself I want as much spin as I can around the green. Despite really liking the tp5, it's hard to fight my brain on that.

Posted by my thumbs.

On other golf forums people are saying the new TP5 is spinnier than last year’s ball and as such find it to be not so great in the wind.

Am I the only one finding it odd that all the golf ball talk seems to be focused on wind performance (which is near impossible to measure) now that all premium balls perform so similarly?

The biggest difference is the TM ball’s seam isn’t as well hidden as the Titleist’s.
A testament to Titleist quality control and workmanship. If you ever have a chance to take the plant tour you will understand why.

Thanks for the input. I am not sure I want to guess how far it will come back either, especially if I'm off a little to either side.

I think the observation of the titlesit giving more spin is what got my head spinning. In my head I tell myself I want as much spin as I can around the green. Despite really liking the tp5, it's hard to fight my brain on that.

Posted by my thumbs.

If you’re looking for greenside spin, maybe give the Project(a) a try. At around 30.00 a dozen they’re quite a bit less expensive and they were the highest spin ball for me that I ever played. If I only played the game from 75 yards in, they’d be my ball of choice.

If you’re looking for greenside spin, maybe give the Project(a) a try. At around 30.00 a dozen they’re quite a bit less expensive and they were the highest spin ball for me that I ever played. If I only played the game from 75 yards in, they’d be my ball of choice.
I'm not looking for a new ball (see OP) and after receiving a few dozen PAs a few years ago I wouldn't even pitch one out of the woods for fun if I found it.

Posted by my thumbs.

On other golf forums people are saying the new TP5 is spinnier than last year’s ball and as such find it to be not so great in the wind.

Am I the only one finding it odd that all the golf ball talk seems to be focused on wind performance (which is near impossible to measure) now that all premium balls perform so similarly?

I've already burned through most of my prior generation TP5s so I really hope the new iteration doesn't spin all that much more. Up to the middle of last season I played Chrome Soft exclusively, each iteration, from the time they first launch. I eventually switched because I often got too much backspin on wedges into greens and tee shots into the winds with CS and I never knew when or how much. Pro-V1s gave me much of the same. OG TP5s fit my game so well I hope they didn't improve them too much.

I've already burned through most of my prior generation TP5s so I really hope the new iteration doesn't spin all that much more. Up to the middle of last season I played Chrome Soft exclusively, each iteration, from the time they first launch. I eventually switched because I often got too much backspin on wedges into greens and tee shots into the winds with CS and I never knew when or how much. Pro-V1s gave me much of the same. OG TP5s fit my game so well I hope they didn't improve them too much.

So you were seeing too much spin with the V1 vs the Tp5?

So you were seeing too much spin with the V1 vs the Tp5?

I've not tried the 2019 version of either but to answer your question it's a "yes" for me. I prefer drop and stop approaches over wondering if they might spin back and how much. I also find TP5(I play the X) to be straighter off the tee, and longer, most noticeable on windy days, and easier to flight when I need to. I get plenty of greenside spin with TP5x when I need it, but as you said, 'not too much'. I tend to play my short game shots by picking a landing spot and club while visualizing the trajectory and roll out and/or hard stop versus a 'set stock play'. I sometimes get more stop than I'm going for on what seemed like a perfect stroke with Pro-V1 and/or Chrome Soft. I still do with TP5 sometimes, but less often and less impactful.

Several people are saying this is how the 2019 TM and Titleist balls compare spin wise;

Pro V1 - TP5x
Pro V1x - TP5

Several people are saying this is how the 2019 TM and Titleist balls compare spin wise;

Pro V1 - TP5x
Pro V1x - TP5

That’ surprising to me. I thought the “X” version in both brands was the higher launching, higher spinning ball.

That’ surprising to me. I thought the “X” version in both brands was the higher launching, higher spinning ball.

IDK how the Titleists compare to each other but the TP5 was spinny-er than the TP5X for me. Especially on the short scoring shots. TP5X did tend to fly/peak higher than TP5. I did a pretty fair amount of H2H testing with those two, so what I saw relates to my game only of course. IDK if those relationships will prove the same with the 2019 iteration though?

If you have access to a launch monitor I would compare the spin rates of the two balls on full swing and half swing approach shots, and chips and pitches. I see you are in So. Cal. As you know, this time of year there can be a lot of variability in green receptivity.

Back