Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
A few thoughts as the Morgan Cup approaches this week...

I have played some Cobra equipment in the past, the drivers, fairway clubs and the Forged Tec Black irons. They all have been great. I have never played Cobra wedges. I really have never played the hybrids much.

Now I have a full bag of Cobra equipment (other than putter, which is something not offered by Cobra). Of course it would be presumed that the participants might be fan boys for Cobra, given that we are lucky enough to be in this awesome event. Who in his right mind would say, “This equipment sucks.” However, if I did not feel strongly about it, I would say a few nice things, but I wouldn’t lead people astray. It wouldn’t be right.

I can honestly say that I truly like every piece of Cobra equipment that I have in my bag. I may substitute in the F9 4 iron after the event, depending on the course and my swing. But, each piece of equipment is extremely solid. It came to me exactly on spec as ordered. How often does that happen? It all works extremely well.

Everyone is talking about the driver this year. Today, I was in to my local store to buy some balls for the upcoming matches. I asked the sales guy which drivers have become the two with the most buzz. He said, no question, the Flash and the F9. I truly love my driver.

The fairway woods are great. The 3 wood is EXTREMELY easy to hit off of the fairway, set at 13.5. The Tour 5 is exactly what I want it to be, a good club for par 5s, easy to hit from most lies, something that has a strong, stable ball flight.

The hybrid works. It may not be the longest I have tried, but it is very forgiving and straight. It gaps into my bag the way I need it to.

The F9 irons may be the most surprising piece of equipment in my bag. I would have never considered this set, but for the Morgan Cup. Now, I feel extremely comfortable with them. They just go long and straight. Forgiveness is off the charts.

Finally, the wedges... I am starting to fall in love with my 60 degree wedge. It looks incredible. It generates tons of spin. The black finish is holding up extremely well after practice sessions in wet, gravelly conditions. I am usually not too picky about equipment. Lots of different types work for me. However, wedges are a different story. Not all grinds work for me. Candidly, the low wide bounce wasn’t working great for my swing. I just didn’t seem to be able to nip the short chips like I normally can. I finally swapped it out for the 60 degree versatile grind. Bingo... Today I had one of the best practice sessions ever with a 60 degree wedge. I could hit any type of shot I wanted with it, high, low, check and release out to the hole. When my wedge works for me, it gives me so much more confidence with my irons, because I feel like I can still get up and down if I miss the green. It results in a more relaxed carefree iron game.

I am more than happy to tell anybody that they are missing out if they don’t give all of the Cobra equipment a good hard look. I just spent a bunch of my own money on a Cobra/Vessel limited edition bag. I would not have bought it if I didn’t plan to be playing my Cobra equipment for a long time. I hate having a bag with a manufacturer’s name on it, but then have it full of a different manufacturer’s equipment. That bag cost me an arm and a leg, relative to golf bags, but I am going to be gaming it proudly (along with my Morgan Cup bag) and it is going to have Cobra equipment in it.

Last edited:
Cobra Equipment

Oh great. After replacing my driver to PW with the F9 series, you’re telling me I may have to look at the wedges now?

I’ve always enjoyed Cobra. The biocell line was my first set. Everyone that questions why I don’t play one of the bigger OEM’s is quickly quieted by the end of round and usually asking to try my clubs.

Oh great. After replacing my driver to PW with the F9 series, you’re telling me I may have to look at the wedges now?

I’ve always enjoyed Cobra. The biocell line was my first set. Everyone that questions why I don’t play one of the bigger OEM’s is quickly quieted by the end of round and usually asking to try my clubs.

Yeah, I fear you might. The wedges (particularly the versatile grind) are bananas too.

Yeah, I fear you might. The wedges (particularly the versatile grind) are bananas too.

This was taken today for social next week.

fcf3a58b10d8d35c66496a6b69edd3fc.jpg

I’m choosing to ignore this thread to save my wallet and my marriage.

you absolutely should. i loved my king black wedges. the 56 classic grind may be my favorite wedge ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This was taken today for social next week.

fcf3a58b10d8d35c66496a6b69edd3fc.jpg

I love the wedges more than I expected. Oh one length.

I’m choosing to ignore this thread to save my wallet and my marriage.

I don't blame you right now, but I would keep your eyes on them in a few months...

you absolutely should. i loved my king black wedges. the 56 classic grind may be my favorite wedge ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today, I got in a good practice session with the 60 degree wedge. I hit a bunch of chips and then hit partial wedges from 50, 30 and 20 yards. I’ll be darned if I didn’t hole a 50 yard and a 30 yard pitch. I don’t ever remember that happening. The wedge feels great works for so many different types of shots.

I love the wedges more than I expected. Oh one length.

I don't blame you right now, but I would keep your eyes on them in a few months...

My cbx’s are really good for me but I’ll be following along the Morgan Cup for comments on the wedges and to follow the guys playing the cobra stuff.

I am a cobra junkie as well. The last 12 months have been the second time around learning the game and I absolutely love who these clubs work for me and how much less I spend on them!

Question for the cobra fans here - I"m used the forged tec black ones but my swing speed isn't fantastic and I'm struggling to get the distance on the 5,6 consistently. It has me pondering whether or not I should be giving variable length its fair shot now.

So long story short - do I go for a sent of forged tec VL or the cb/mbs ?

I am a cobra junkie as well. The last 12 months have been the second time around learning the game and I absolutely love who these clubs work for me and how much less I spend on them!

Question for the cobra fans here - I"m used the forged tec black ones but my swing speed isn't fantastic and I'm struggling to get the distance on the 5,6 consistently. It has me pondering whether or not I should be giving variable length its fair shot now.

Both lol?

Both lol?

See...that's what I was thinking.

The CB/MB when I want to improve my game and the FTB VL for when I want to enjoy the game.

Have you compared the Forged Tec Blacks and the cb/mbs side by side? There is quite a bit of difference in the profile of the two heads. My opinion, which is worth what you pay for it, is that if you are struggling to launch the FTB one length, that you may find difficulty with the cb/mbs. I would probably think about the FTBs variable length and the look at a high launching shaft, maybe even the Smacwraps, which is a stock shaft for the FTBs.

Have you compared the Forged Tec Blacks and the cb/mbs side by side? There is quite a bit of difference in the profile of the two heads. My opinion, which is worth what you pay for it, is that if you are struggling to launch the FTB one length, that you may find difficulty with the cb/mbs. I would probably think about the FTBs variable length and the look at a high launching shaft, maybe even the Smacwraps, which is a stock shaft for the FTBs.

That's really good input. To be honest, I've thought about putting smacwraps on my ftb OL because I love them in the UL. I have no problem hitting the one length utility and the f8 OL hybrids. It's just that 5 and somewhat of my 6i.

I will have to do testing but golf I've sort of dedicated all my free time to golf and would rather play into a blades set as my ball striking has been really solid. The SS has really been more of a product of injury and a desk job.

:drool::drool::drool:

Even if I went back to VL from OL, I love my OL wedges. Outstanding fun to play with the 56 and 60.

Even if I went back to VL from OL, I love my OL wedges. Outstanding fun to play with the 56 and 60.

1000% agree. I currently have the 56, which I absolutely love. I'm awaiting both lofts for my MC bag and I'm very excited to have a 60 to play with.

Back