Bubba-Proofing Augusta National

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
So, we know that Augusta National underwent a "Tiger-proofing" after his run in his career so I was curious if should Bubba Watson wins again this year which is a strong probability based on his recent play and history there, will there be discussions on how to modify the course to not be so "lefty-friendly". Your thoughts?

I wouldn't mind them trying to get a few more people that stand on the correct side of the ball on the leaderboard.

What if Phil wins? Do the same?

Interesting thought.

With Bubbas ability to bend shots like crazy, is anything "Bubba proof"?

Yes, not a Bubba thing for me. Seems like even average lefty's do better there than anywhere else.

Interesting...Is there such thing as making it not "lefty-friendly"? If they changed it wouldn't it then be "righty-friendly"?

Make it a putt putt course. Bubba won't fair too well

Yes, not a Bubba thing for me. Seems like even average lefty's do better there than anywhere else.

Same thought applies. I would have stated "left proof" in general but Bubba having won 2 of the last 3 felt more topical.

I could have made the same comment as Mike Weir proof but I couldnt hit submit on that one.

Aren't they already talking about making the course even longer? I thought I read some comments Billy Horschel made about it. He basically said 'it's dumb' or something to that effect.

Same thought applies. I would have stated "left proof" in general but Bubba having won 2 of the last 3 felt more topical.

I could have made the same comment as Mike Weir proof but I couldnt hit submit on that one.

I'm hoping Steve Flesch wins in the next few weeks and then goes on to win The Masters. Course shall become Flesch-Proof

Why bother? Bubba wins one more tournament and he's retiring right? :alien:

With Bubba's length and ability to curve it either which way, I don't think you can Bubba Proof it. If you want to mess with him (and others) they need to make the green complexes trickier. These guys are good, you're not gonna out trick them much tee to green.

Here's an idea though... How about they do nothing and just let the person who shoots the lowest wins?

Here's an idea though... How about they do nothing and just let the person who shoots the lowest wins?

This is a good plan to me

that's a pretty radical idea

Like Bubba or not, the guy is on FIRE lately... I hope it continues on through the Masters!

I read this in a totally different way lol I thought maybe they'd tape his mouth shut or something. Nvm

Bubbas ability to shape the ball either way I dont see what Augusta can do. For me that place comes down to understanding the greens, where to land the ball and make sure your putter is agreeing with you for 4 days. Time and time again that course has shown that you need a little luck and a solid putting game for four days to be at the top. Do lefties have an advantage? sure they do, but just because they hit a good tee shot, doesn't mean the second or third will result where they can score.

Interesting thought.

With Bubbas ability to bend shots like crazy, is anything "Bubba proof"?

This is what I was thinking as well. Dude is crazy talented and when he's on, you can't set up a course that he can't go over, under, right or left enough.

This is a good plan to me

I agree to leave it alone and let the best score win for a few years.. I love the Masters.. I enjoy knowing something about the course while viewing. Grow the rough.. Plant 40 Ike trees... Make it tough to land 290-320 range. I do not like to see Carnival greens though. Not a Bubba fan or detractor.. but the guy is talented and creative.

I don't see a need to make any changes to bubba proof it or left proof it. Let the guy who has the best week win it.

I dont think you can do anything without changing the design of the holes. most require a fade for a lefty off the tee. Bubba doesn't draw his tee shots at all. he almost exclusively plays a fade with the driver and a draw with his irons.

best way to Bubba proof a course is to make it necessary to stay in fairways. US Open like rough!

but... but... but...

Back