Lynford

Reaction score
Handicap
The clue is in the name.........they are the rules.

Who do these tour players think they are whining and demanding changes ? “We don’t like the drop, the caddy lining up is wrong, oh I caught my putter in my shirt and moved the ball”.

Get on with it, they are THE RULES OF GOLF, they aren’t YOUR rules to do with as you please, just because you are lucky enough to earn millions playing the game. As far as the rules are concerned you are no more important than 21hcp Bob playing in the monthly medal.

I'm not following.

+1
AA.jpg

So no one is allowed to question the rules no matter how bad?

It's been pretty widely accepted that the new drop rule is dumb and there's been some questionable calls on the lining up penalty.

I think alot of people don't like change and this is no different.

Shocking that a bunch of entitled rich guys don't like some of the changes and or they didn't bother to learn the new rules and have been penalized.

#learntherules

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ball on edge green, replace without penalty. Half an inch further and on the fringe, penalty.

Because they are used to the Tour catering to their complaints. So I guess they expected the USGA to.

Yes, how dare they have an opinion!

Bifurcation sounds better and better each day.

I mean I understand it from both sides. I do think there are a handful of rules that are a bit much, but to that same token if I was bringing someone new out to the course and they had a slight infraction, I'm not going to pester them about it. People talk about #GrowTheGame, the real way to do that is to quit taking everything so seriously. If you are trying to grow the game you're first thought probably isn't to play tournament golf with someone.

That being said, I have larger problems with the rules that apply to things with clear intent. Now while I want to believe Webb and his claim, I think the more clear definition of "intent" would be when Varner was trying his best to not break the rule and got caught up in a loophole. That is just bad all the way around. Webb accidentally knocking his ball is more a stroke of bad luck than anything.

Who do these tour players think they are whining and demanding changes ? “We don’t like the drop, the caddy lining up is wrong, oh I caught my putter in my shirt and moved the ball”.

Get on with it, they are THE RULES OF GOLF, they aren’t YOUR rules to do with as you please, just because you are lucky enough to earn millions playing the game. As far as the rules are concerned you are no more important than 21hcp Bob playing in the monthly medal.

Without discourse, there would never be any change. I think it's pretty clear that there have been some controversy surrounding the new rules. I doubt that was the USGA's goal. I don't think the rule was intended to punish someone because their caddie happened to be standing behind them with no intent to align the player. I don't think the USGA wanted the flag stick to assist in putting, where it has been shown to do so. Sometimes, organizations do stupid things and make poor choices. If they go unquestioned, things don't improve. The USGA and R&A are not above criticism.

And I am sorry, but the pro tours are the public face of the game. Their opinion is most definitely more important than 21hcp Bob, at least in the governing bodies eyes.

Except that the "rules" have been changed plenty of times over the years, proving that they are not, as you suggest, immutable.

Well, rules are meant to be examined, and if needed, questioned. And golf has a boatload of dumb rules. The base line, is, as I've stated eleventy billion times: did he/she gain a competitive advantage? If not, there is no violation.
The rules are there to promote an equal playing field.

Yes, how dare they have an opinion!

It's not that they have opinions but acting like 12 year old boys when your a PRO is another thing.
I say take away the green books and don't allow advice from caddies.

The Rules will be adjusted hopefully next year but bitching and moaning about them constantly when your a Pro just rubs me the wrong way.

It's not that they have opinions but acting like 12 year old boys when your a PRO is another thing.
I say take away the green books and don't allow advice from caddies.

The Rules will be adjusted hopefully next year but bitching and moaning about them constantly when your a Pro just rubs me the wrong way.
Like when any pro in any sports complains about the rules?

They love to complain and blame their mistakes, etc on others

Back