Inconsistant Irons

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently play CF16 irons with very inconsistent hit patterns on the faace except for my 7i, that one I "almost" hit perfectly every time and I can't figure it out. The only other iron close to a 7i hit pattern would be my 9i, all of the rest vary. My question since I don't know, can I take my irons and get the lie duplicated to my 7i? Again I'm assuming that it's a lie issue instead of a fit issue.

There is likely about a 2 degree difference in lie angle between your 7 & 9 irons. So if you are hitting them equally well, it probably isn't a lie angle problem.

Currently play CF16 irons with very inconsistent hit patterns on the faace except for my 7i, that one I "almost" hit perfectly every time and I can't figure it out. The only other iron close to a 7i hit pattern would be my 9i, all of the rest vary. My question since I don't know, can I take my irons and get the lie duplicated to my 7i? Again I'm assuming that it's a lie issue instead of a fit issue.

I think your best bet at this point is to have the lie angles checked on all of your irons as they relate to your 7 iron. Bending all of them to the lie of the 7 iron probably would not work well, since there are factors in each club that differ as you progress thru the set.

I'm far from expert, but I have found when my face contact starts to wander on some clubs and not others, I check my stance position relative to the ball. If I get too close, I end up fighting against the swing plane which inhibits consistency.

You should get all of your irons checked, not just base it on the 7 iron lie angle. different shafts lengths produce different shaft droop at impact which is a determining factor of getting the proper lie angle when the head gets to the impact zone. I play my irons/wedges from LW - 9 flat to standard and 8 - 4 at either standard or a little upright.

I figured my inconsistent iron play was do to lie angle as well. I changed them all to 7 iron. F9 OL. lol The jury is still out on whether or not that fixed the issue. :laugh:

get loft/lie checked, as well as swingweight

some people are very sensitive to swingweight mismatches, some people aren't at all

Thanks guys, maybe for some it's not, but to me it's very frustrating especially when my set-up is the same. Will have the lies as well as swing-weight checked when I get back from FL.

Sox_Fan, never thought of different lie settings for clubs depending on shaft at impact! Always thought lie angle the same for all clubs regardless.

I had similar issues also. My 8 &7i is standard to measure since I hit them better any irons in the bag. I had swing weight checked and had all of them same as 8&7.
It has improved my ball striking better since they all feels similar. It works for me but some might like swing weight varies. Some might not even care about swing weight. So it’s all upto individual. Buy bunch of lead tape and try it at range. I lay all my irons down and randomly pick and without even knowing which club I’m hitting. I just choose which one feels the best and make all feel similar. For me this was simplest way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back