started with a set of tour model II's driver through wedge and ping anser putter. That my dad and my brother and I all shared for a few years.

I still have my first set of clubs. Had a neighbor of mine teach me the game and helped me purchase a set of Yamaha Secrets Carbon irons. I haven't swung them in a few years but may take them out for some range or sim time.

I wish I still had my first set but my dad sold them in a garage sale for $7. They were my moms hand-me-down Wilson Patty Berg's complete set, including putter. I started with those at age 12 and by age 15 I was down to a 4 index. I actually played varsity golf my freshman year with those and half way through the season my dad took pity on me and bought me some mens clubs and I do still have that set, which I played for 19 years.

$_1.JPG

Last edited:
My parents got me a set from a local place called Pro Golf. They were Excaliber I think. Worked well enough for me to get hooked on the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have the Taylormade Burner II 3 wood laying around cause it was the first Christmas present ever from the missus almost twenty years ago. I was a huge believer in the Bubble shaft and loved the higher swing weight of Taylormade's woods. Funnily enough I was very anti-Callaway back then with their S2H2 hosel and shaft breakage as well as the perceived low quality of their stock Aldila shafts. It took me a long time to look at Aldila without prejudice.

My first complete set was

Taylormade Burner II driver 10.5 S-90 Bubble shaft
Taylormade Burner II 3 wood S-90 Bubble shaft
Cleveland TA-3 2-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland 588 56, 60
Wilson 8813 putter

At the time I was the tennis stringer at a golf and tennis shop in LA but tennis was dying and they needed me to work in golf as well and I figured that I couldn't assist golfers honestly if I didn't play as well. Eventually I became the clubfitter/builder and except for a twelve year layoff golf I've obsessed over golf since. The Cleveland rep was a really good guy so I tried to play as much Cleveland equipment as possible.

Cougar Rhythm, 1,3,5,3-PW and an old bullseye putter. I actually still have the woods.

mKFXmft7VdB2mJTQTTnWBnQ.jpg

Wilson Gear Effect "Mid-size".
Driver, 3W, 5W, 3I-PW.
Caved in the face of the Driver in second season. Irons were decent enough, though one or two of the shafts snapped at the hosel (probably due to me swinging like a backhoe!).
I still have the 3W & 5W in the basement. All others long gone.

It was a Northwestern set I bought at Target.

My first set was a set of Staff Tour blades. Loved 'em!

(still can't figure out how to post pics from the desktop)

$_35.JPG

I had these and 3 Shakespheare Woods with fiberglass shafts. I still have the irons.

My mom bought me a set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scotts from a yard sale for $40. I think I was 15.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

My first clubs were Dunlops I believe...one was a lady 5 wood...and growing up when I was a kid, it matched my swingspeed perfectly and I could hit that thing a mile. Also had a Golden Bear driver that was made of wood. Didn't like it very much. Then I got a complete set when I was a teen (Wilson maybe?), and got another set from a yard sale. First year of college my parents house burned down, turned all of em into bullwhips lol.

My first set were given to me. They were a set of Ben Sayers. They were so old, the faces had dimples, the shafts looked like wood (although I don't think they were) and they old school grips with a big ridge running down the back. Similar to this

The first set that was bought for me were Slazenger SB Eurostars. How the hell I hit those blades or tiny metal woods, I have no idea

My firsts were hand me downs from Dad, Tommy Armours by Burke. the first set i bought on my own were Spalding Tour Edition blades because thats what Greg Norman was gaming. 1 iron through Sand wedge.

1970s: My first set was a hand-me-down from my dad in the summer of 1974. They were a set of Powerbuilt irons (2-PW) and woods (D, 3w, 4w) and a Ping putter that I still have and use. I had an old orange Ping carry bag. I played some, not a lot, with those through 1980. I kept them up until around 2006-08 (can't remember exactly), playing maybe a few (3-5 or so) odd ball 9-hole rounds over that long period. I gave those clubs back to my dad who still has them in his garage, complete with a whole bunch of golf balls from that era. As a kid I really liked golf and in retrospect wish I had pursued it more, but peer pressure and chasing girls kept that experience modest.

2000s: First set, part 2. Part of my job involved fundraising with a high level advisory board. One of the board members wanted to play a round of golf with everyone. This is that 2006-08 timeframe. I figured I should get some modern clubs. I went out to a local golf shop, now out of business, and on the spot bought a set of TM irons, a Cleveland driver, a Ping G10 hybrid (still using this), a TM putter, a SM Three 5 bag (still using), and some FJ shoes. Several of the clubs were used. I played an awkward round at a very high end private course in Big Sky. After that I played with those clubs on 3 or 4 other odd ball rounds through 2014, all associated with fundraising where I was more focused on getting money than playing golf. From 1981-2014, golf was not really a part of my life.

2015: First set, part 3: My wife, who after 3 decades knows me better than I know myself, signed me up for a free lesson at Turtle Bay Resort in Hawaii (killer resort, btw). I complained and tried to avoid that lesson right up to the end. She literally dragged me there. They gave me a set of Titleist clubs to use and a bucket of balls to warm up while they looked for the PGA teaching pro. He finally came out and over 30 min gave me a few tips. Everything about that experience clicked for me. The pro shop felt right. The clubs were actually quite nice, and I hit the ball well. The tips were spot on and made sense to me. During the rest of our time at Turtle Bay, I found myself looking at their courses with desire. So I went back home, and then last Feb we had a crazy warm period and local golf courses opened up. I started hitting some golf balls and knew I was going to take up golf in a big way. I joined THP, because I loved my experiences with online communities with cycling and skiing. I liked the name and vibe. I did a lot of club research and asked stupid questions. I knew I need to get clubs that fit me. I hit a few clubs (Titleist, TM, and Ping) with the local Pga pro and bought new Ping irons (i25). On a trip to Colorado I picked up a Ping 3-wood at a Goldsmith, my first ever mega golf retail experience. I then picked up a set of Cleveland wedges. And on a whim I bought a Ping Shea H putter off the shelf. I kept the Cleveland driver, Ping G10 hybrid, and SM bag. This set will have significant meaning to me for a long time.

Wilson Tour Staff Blades and a set of Old Hogans are what I started with. Still have both sets

My parents gave me a junior set of clubs as my first set. It wasn't complete but was some type of Wilson juniors product.

After that, as I grew, I moved into a hand-me-down set from my dad...1970s era Spalding blades with Shakespeare woods. It's why I still have trouble hitting larger clubs (something ingrained in me from learning with blades).

My first set was a set of Lynx Black Cat irons with a bronze Ping putter. The woods were some off brand that the local shop put together for me.

My first set was a complete set of 1966 Walter Hagen "Haig Ultra" 1-3-5 Woods (persimmon) and 3-PW and a Ping Anser putter I was given by a business partner of my dad in 1983. I was 12. It came with an old canvas "Sunday Bag" and I used my grass cutting money to get a new bag and a Dunlop sand wedge. The balls that came in the bag were some Top Flite XL, a "British" Titleist and a Penfold Hearts. The 3 iron was bent a bit and I couldn't hit the 4 iron.
I hit one of the purest shots I've ever hit with the 5 iron when I was 16...lots of bad shots with those blades though. They were unforgiving.

My first new set were Lynx Preditor, full set driver through wedge. Before them I had a used set of Northwestern I think they were a KMart brand.

The first set I played with I believe were some old pinnacle irons and a spattering of different woods we had from my granddad. The first set I bought myself was a set of Ping G5 irons, Adams driver, and some Cleveland CG14 wedges. Think the 3 and 5 wood I used some old clubs that I can't remember the name of.

Started playing back in 2005. Bought a whole set of new clubs because no one in the family plays.

Driver: Taylormade R5
Wood: Taylormade R5 5 wood
Irons: Taylormade RAC LT SW-3 iron
Putter: Ping G5 Zing

If I were to start again I would have bought everything used. Noobie mistake.

Back