NorCal Crew Outing (19-20MAR)

I still haven't heard if my request for the 18th was approved so if anyone is interested grab it. I honestly might not know until the 17th the way things are going around here lately.

FYI watch out for Mr Hicksta regarding long drives if he has his new LTD.... Just sayin

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I purchased a foursome Duff, we can wait until two days prior to cancel the last spot, hopefully you get an approval for your day off, or another member can play. The weekend with all if you should be a great time!

You guys ready????

41ada005958b3ba9e59f511013165634.jpg

You guys ready????

41ada005958b3ba9e59f511013165634.jpg

Ooh Ooh #10!! Last time I played there I hit the enormous fairway bunker with my drive and eventually stole a par by chipping to a foot.

I'm really quite excited for the round and looking forward to seeing what THPers that haven't played it think of Poppy. It's become one of my favorites and certainly the best deal in golf!

What's the best way to sign up for the NCGA? Through their website or through a local course?

What's the best way to sign up for the NCGA? Through their website or through a local course?

You can do an online club but I prefer the local course option for the events. My course has a pretty active mens club and I enjoy playing the tournaments, qualifiers and match play series. Plus you can carry an official handicap which is needed for certain events.

Depends on what you want. I was a member of an E-Club for 3 years but joined the men's club at the course I play most for 2016. they have regular tournaments and I enjoy that part so will stick with it going forward.

You can either sign up online or I would check the websites of clubs you frequent and see if they have a club.

Just wondering if anyone is coming to Monterey from the North. I have a reservation in Marina,CA off the Highway 1 and Reservation rd and might need a ride if possible. It's looking like the family is going to be coming along and the wife isn't real good at driving in areas she's not familiar with. Not sure I want to have her drop me at the course and try to figure her way around, especially when it comes to getting to and leaving Poppy Hills.

Just wondering if anyone is coming to Monterey from the North. I have a reservation in Marina,CA off the Highway 1 and Reservation rd and might need a ride if possible. It's looking like the family is going to be coming along and the wife isn't real good at driving in areas she's not familiar with. Not sure I want to have her drop me at the course and try to figure her way around, especially when it comes to getting to and leaving Poppy Hills.

I live in Seaside so I'll give you a ride!

Yessir!

686e5164e5629df1433e04d5a69a1663.jpg

5ac7c6cd86395ec52488f936b0185a66.jpg

I talked to the head pro today, Cole Handley who I take lessons with, and he said they'd gladly setup a long drive hole and closest to the pin. For those of you who have played Poppy Hills before, Cole recommended #12 for the long drive and #7 for closest to the pin. He also said he'd donate a box of balls for the respective winners. I'll 'suggest' some flavor of Bridgestone B330s to him :wink:

I talked to the head pro today, Cole Handley who I take lessons with, and he said they'd gladly setup a long drive hole and closest to the pin. For those of you who have played Poppy Hills before, Cole recommended #12 for the long drive and #7 for closest to the pin. He also said he'd donate a box of balls for the respective winners. I'll 'suggest' some flavor of Bridgestone B330s to him :wink:

I always swing too hard and slice the ball on long drive holes. My best bet is going to be closest to the pin.

That would be a lot of fun.

Hole #12 would be fun because you could see where the leader is and it is a bomb it down the hill kind if hole, with plenty of bunkers and OB right.

I imagine he meant #6 for the closest to the pin (#7 is a par 4). I'd say that would be a good hole, not too far and it puts a contest on the front 9 with the long drive on #12.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tees? IMO the 3 Poppy is plenty of yardage and the course is tough enough without going to the 6,700 yards of the 4 Poppy.

Hole #12 would be fun because you could see where the leader is and it is a bomb it down the hill kind if hole, with plenty of bunkers and OB right.

I imagine he meant #6 for the closest to the pin (#7 is a par 4). I'd say that would be a good hole, not too far and it puts a contest on the front 9 with the long drive on #12.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tees? IMO the 3 Poppy is plenty of yardage and the course is tough enough without going to the 6,700 yards of the 4 Poppy.

When I last played there, we played from the 3 Poppy. I thought it was pretty fair and demanding.

I think the most I would want to play is 3 stars or whatever they call that distance. Is about 6300 yds from that set of tees. If people wanted to play the 2 star tees I could be talked into it... :)

I just looked at the score card this morning, and I was thinking the 3 Poppy Tees would be the best choice. Distance and slope rating seem challenging but not outlandish.

When I last played there, we played from the 3 Poppy. I thought it was pretty fair and demanding.

My bad, he did say #6. I think those will work and will add a little fun to an already awesome weekend! For the prizes, I'll see if he'll donate one box of B330-RX and one box of Chrome Soft. I agree on playing from 3 Poppy as well. T-12!!!

I just looked at the score card this morning, and I was thinking the 3 Poppy Tees would be the best choice. Distance and slope rating seem challenging but not outlandish.

I'm just hoping we get to see a repeat of RadRob at Hunter Ranch! That was a clinic and so much fun!

Sounds fun, good job Hickster. As far as the tee's, I'm not up for playing from the tips, so 1 or two steps down from them would be fine with me.

edit: just looked at the card, I would prefer the 4's or 3's, but I'm good with what the majority wants to play, it's going to be great fun.

Last edited:
I agree with not playing tips. For someone like me who usually needs as much roll out as possible, sea level golf makes it difficult enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just hoping we get to see a repeat of RadRob at Hunter Ranch! That was a clinic and so much fun!

Thanks! But if I recall correctly, you're the one that dropped the EAGLE on me. That was a fun round.

I haven't played as good a round since Hunter, so who knows what will happen at Poppy. But I'm pumped and ready for our outing. Hope the weather is cooperative.

Sounds fun, good job Hickster. As far as the tee's, I'm not up for playing from the tips, so 1 or two steps down from them would be fine with me.

edit: just looked at the card, I would prefer the 4's or 3's, but I'm good with what the majority wants to play, it's going to be great fun.

I've never seen the Jones tees (ie. the tips) even set up. I've played both 3 & 4 and the 4 is a bear!

Thanks! But if I recall correctly, you're the one that dropped the EAGLE on me. That was a fun round.

I haven't played as good a round since Hunter, so who knows what will happen at Poppy. But I'm pumped and ready for our outing. Hope the weather is cooperative.

You got to witness one of my best golf memories ever! Its awesome that THPers come together like this regularly. Every time I play with you guys I laugh a lot and always have a ton of fun!

Oh and I should also add our tee times are 9:00, 9:10 and 9:20 at Poppy. I suspect we'll be 9:00 and 9:10 at Laguna Seca.

You all rubbed off on me...bought a Clicgear 3.5+ in SF Giants orange! Lol probably still riding for our venture though. I use it when I'm out by myself.

Last edited:
Back