Tovala - Keurig For Food

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A futuristic new kitchen appliance that is being called the "Keurig for food" could forever change home cooking. Called Tovala, the countertop machine is a broiler, steamer, oven, microwave, and toaster in one. It is meant to replace all major cooking appliances and eliminate most of the work involved in making healthy meals.

the-tovala-cooks-pods-of-ingredients-including-fish-chicken-pasta-vegetables-popcorn-and-oatmeal-and-it-even-poaches-eggs.jpg

users-can-create-their-own-recipes-or-they-can-subscribe-to-get-fresh-chef-designed-meals-delivered-to-them-weekly-that-are-specifically-developed-for-the-machine.jpg

tovalas-meal-delivery-is-similar-to-services-like-blue-apron-and-plated-which-deliver-groceries-and-accompanying-recipes-to-customers.jpg

the-tovala-will-communicate-with-the-phone-and-find-the-recipe-for-the-food.jpg

The cooking technology differs depending on the meal. In the case of one of the company's roasted chicken recipes, the Tovala will steam the food for about 12 minutes, then switch to broil mode for five minutes to crisp everything.

First we tried the sea bass. The fish was "shockingly good," according to our reviewers, and "could have passed for something you would order in a restaurant." The broccoli was steamed perfectly — not too mushy (overcooked) or hard (undercooked).

we-tried-baking-cookies-and-cooking-three-meals-a-miso-baked-chilean-sea-bass-with-a-side-of-broccoli-stuffed-chicken-and-steamed-asparagus-and-chicken-posole-stew.jpg

first-we-tried-the-sea-bass-the-fish-was-shockingly-good-according-to-our-reviewers-and-could-have-passed-for-something-you-would-order-in-a-restaurant-the-broccoli-was-steamed-perfectly--not-too-mushy-overcooked-or-hard-undercooked.jpg

The Tovala is targeting people who want to eat healthy but don't have the time to cook — a rapidly growing demographic. The company could initially face some hurdles, however, in getting consumers to pay for the initial cost of the machine and in helping them understand the technology behind it. When we described the concept to people who had never heard of it, many thought it sounded like a glorified microwave that cooks Lean Cuisine-style meals.

the-tovala-will-also-give-consumers-the-option-to-submit-their-own-recipes-to-its-app.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/tovala-will-replace-every-cooking-appliance-you-own-2016-3

That sounds pretty awesome, wonder what the price point is on the machine and food.

This could be awesome. Especially for a lazy guy who can't cook, like myself.

Sweet! It's like the back to the future pizza machine.

• Admin
That sounds pretty awesome, wonder what the price point is on the machine and food.

I believe pre-order is $199

Doesnt get much easier than that

I would buy that - it's rare we all eat together Monday thru Thursday - something like this would be perfect

I think it will be a big seller if the food is as good as they claim.

That's amazing!

I believe pre-order is $199

that seems crazy cheap to me. i wonder what the average cost of the meals is.

Interesting concept

I like that you can cook your own stuff in there too. This is pretty intriguing, especially since we only cook for two.

I'd buy one of these! The big part of their profit or long term feasibility would come from the meals themselves, IMO. Cost per serving better make sense, and for the love of all things, don't go all 100% Keurig and make the meals/items ONLY work with their products and not others.

This actually has me interested but one thing I didn't read in the article was if you could use all of the functions without ordering their food.

The device is surprisingly reasonable. I'm suspicious of the food pods. How much? Where can you find them? The other question is whether the Tovala can be used for non-pod food.

Technology can be amazing...matter of time.

Considering the keurig 2.0 turned into a nightmare forcing their customers to use 2.0 cups only....if imagine this thing will be horrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200 seems like a reasonable price for the machine if it's as good as they say. I wonder what the costs/meal are.

That's pretty cool, I hope it takes off.

I finally found some pricing info on the food. Meals are between $10-15. I don't know, double digits for something I still have to cook seems a bit much.

Dang, only $199? At that cost it may be worth checking out.

Not buying it physically or even the idea of it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Interesting. I think once people understand it there could be a market.

We're getting closer and closer to the jetsons everyday.

I finally found some pricing info on the food. Meals are between $10-15. I don't know, double digits for something I still have to cook seems a bit much.

So $30 for my wife and I to have dinner, and we have to 'cook'? Seems quite expensive actually.

So $30 for my wife and I to have dinner, and we have to 'cook'? Seems quite expensive actually.

The machine is reasonable but the cost of the food is a no go for this guy.

Back