Tour Player Made Me Do It

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We know the influence exists, even if it is subtle. So when was the last time something was used on tour and it made you say "Man, I really want to try it".

Lately seems like the big thing is Fowler's 4 iron.

For me, I tried a belly putter for a bit and honestly, I'm thinking about trying an arm lock putter now.

Bryson and single length irons. Haven't done it, but want to try it. Makes sense to me.

Tiger's TM putter

The white driver heads and the red Spider putters

Lately Phil has me wanting to try the ERC ball. I know he's using a different ball, but seeing the lines on it, every time he putts I just think how much that could help

The white driver heads and the red Spider putters

Lately Phil has me wanting to try the ERC ball. I know he's using a different ball, but seeing the lines on it, every time he putts I just think how much that could help

With you on the ERC. Just waiting for them to put the lines on Chrome Soft for someone other than Phil.

Greg-Norman-Straw-Hat_BLK_ALT2_550.jpeg

Phil's PM grind wedges. Plus the thread here on the new PM 19 grinds didn't help any, put me right over the edge and so I bought two.

Furyk’s Strata Tour Ace golf balls

MB irons

They just make you a better golfer ;)

I want to try it all but the thing that has me thinking about trying it is the Mirror putting aid.
I wish I could get my putting back to my High School days.

I think I'm more likely to pick up apparel based on tour influence than I am clubs or equipment.

(part of that is probably because I'm a bit of a brand homer with my bag)

Honestly thinking hard, I'm not sure I've ever bought anything because a tour player was using it. I've ran out and hit stuff because of tour usage, particularly deep 3 woods, driving Irons and a spider Putter, but ultimately didn't find them to justify the purchase. I have bought some polos and hats I saw on tour.

THPers have definitely been way more influential for me.

PM Grind. When I saw it and how Phil used it, I immediately wanted to tinker with it .

White belts

I had wedges that were quite rusty and used up a long time ago. I loved them so much. After seeing many players bags, it reminded me of those wedges and I'm going Vokey raws in a 56/60 this year. I'm looking forward to having wedges back in my bag that feel like "mine".

Two things. The Nike SQ Tour driver that Tiger had in play. Somehow, I was convinced that it looked and played good. Didn't last long for me. The second time was another Nike club. This time it was the Covert 2.0 Tour. Rory had it in play and was just piping it. This one went a little bit better, but didn't last much longer than the SQ Tour. Since then, I have been pretty much playing what plays best for me.

Haven't done this yet, but the one length irons are really having me take a look at them when I'm in the market next. The reasoning behind it is hard to argue.

After DJ started dating Paulina I got really into wintersports. Love the snow, but after he fell down the stairs in Augusta I let that go.

I thought the Ghost series putters from TM looked cool, so gave one of those a go. I think that's the only equipment purchase I've made based on tv or tour appearances.

Did try left hand low because of Spieth. It didn't last more that a couple of months.

For me its not really equipment rather than wedge configuration. I am constantly in a struggle with what wedges I want and what lofts I should have them at.

Left hand low putting. Been a revelation for me. As a lefty that plays right handed it’s made putting much more natural.

Also wearing pants to golf. Makes me feel more like a ‘golfer’ when I play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How well the new TM putters have taken off on tour & with the success of DJ & Rory putting with it. Makes me want to go out & get one. But we all know .... it's the Indian & not the Arrow. I try and remind myself of that every time I buy a new club :act-up:

Back