Describe Your Putting Posture

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The title kind of says it all. Upright? Hunched over like Jack? Full on Michelle Wie?

I’m a bit hunched with stiff knees. My hands are held close to my body. So I actually had to have my putter flattened. The only thing I’d like to change is to bend more at the hips and be less hunched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comfortably upright with enough space to let my arms swing freely when rocking the shoulders. In my head it's a straight back, straight thru swing.

kinda between upright and hunched over a little? Probably need major work on it I know....

Somewhat hunched, eyes over the ball and ball is forward of center.

Stand as close to in between upright & hunched over that I can. I mean with a beer gut to look over & all. :act-up:

Eyes over the ball or just inside. Putter slightly to the inside on the way back, square, to inside. I mean I'd like to think I do it the same way every time but obviously I don't otherwise I would make more putts than I do. That's why I'm hoping the guys at Odyssey & Mr Toulon himself can show me some pointers in a few months.

Fowler. Feet close together

Luke said my arms are positioned / hang just like Phil's. I'm not sure if he meant Mickelson, PhillyV or Phil Numbers, but they are all pretty good players so I've got that going for me.

I’m pretty much in line with whatever that standard putting stance is. Can’t remember the name.

Upright for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pretty upright, but this past round I fiddled with a side saddle (facing towards the hole, and putting forward) and kind of like that a lot.

Work in progress.

It sure as hell isn't pretty. But I've only been doing this for a few weeks.

Describe Your Putting Posture

In my mind I have the posture of a current PGA tour pro. When I look at myself on camera I see it’s more of a Mr. Burns thing.

I am definitely hunched, i have tried both upright and hunched and just putt better hunched.

Hunched.

I hate the look, but that's me. Currently only working on keeping my chin up a little to simplify the transition from looking at the hole to addressing my ball quickly and comfortably. This has straightened out the top end of the "C" posture some at least. Perhaps someday I'll straighten up a little more and pull those rounded shoulders back. My legs are never flexed as much as some people, especially when putting, so I suppose it has to go somewhere to remain comfortable.

On the stance and where I place my feet... I do not keep my feet close together, or turn the toes significantly in or out (imagining Chi Chi here). I just use the width I walked into address with, and it is probably just inside shoulder width with toes mostly square. About how I'd naturally stop at a cross walk if I was waiting on a pedestrian signal.

Last edited:
I have been hunched a bit but lately trying be more upright with some knee flex, seems to be better but hard to not revert back to what is somewhat comfortable.

I try to be as upright as I can with my eyes over the ball.

If I had to describe it I would say wide and rigid. I have a very wide stance, and am very rigid with a abrupt bend at the waist, with a flat back. I tend to get more comfortable and less rigid as time goes by, and then my putting goes to crap. When I am putting my best my hamstrings actually burn a little at address.

Pretty upright. I've been working on not slouching.

Hunch back of shorter dame. I can't fix the short part but working on the rest.

This winter I've gone to a Fowler type setup where I'm pretty upright with a narrow stance and closer to the ball.

clearly Jack proves one style does not fit all but I want to ask a question in response. think of the guy all hunched over with club near his body??????????? On a stock putter what is the toe doing??? 3cm off the ground? if you can hit a putt like that I wish you all the best.

For 30 years of golf I never putted well and had maybe 10 great days ever. I discover 35 inch putters and hands close to the body a big part. I never rolled the ball. I'm now in a 33 inch butter, standard like and swinging like it was a golf club (nice good posture) and for about 18 month now putting never better. I can see where if I had custom lie adjustments I might replicate other styles better; but I don't. I have about 6 stock putters in my basement and 2 and I use. I'm 6'1 for the record.

I switch between hunched over like Jack and little more upright depending on the day and how I'm rolling it.

A little more hunched over than I probably should be. There are times that standing slightly more upright is helpful. But mostly I’m trying to be comfortable.

Back