THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I've never played either of these formats but they sound fun. As far as a partner goes. Since I've never played these I don't really know what I would need. I suppose I would want someone who is consistent and fairly long off the tee depending on the yardage we are playing. I like to hit approaches from 100-130. Those are my best yardages. Overall I just want someone who is fun to play with and I think everyone on the Carolina team fits that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's impressive! Is that a typical round or just a great day?
I would say a typical result, but it felt like a great day because of the conditions. I hit some loose shots that I am confident I will eliminate as I get more familiar with these sticks. My putter made up for a spotty chipping game.

I would say a typical result, but it felt like a great day because of the conditions. I hit some loose shots that I am confident I will eliminate as I get more familiar with these sticks. My putter made up for a spotty chipping game.
Sounds really strong to me! Congrats!

How many putts?
How did the short game hold up?
What caused the double?

And please find the what did you shoot thread. That's a more appropriate place to discuss the round itself.

And playing with THPers thread

30 putts
Full shots from 125 and in were excellent, green side chips were ok, 3 or 4 up and downs.
The double was caused be a poor layup attempt. I tried jumping on a fw wood and topped it into a hazard, chopped out of high grass, poor approch, etc. I feel it was due to not warming up prior to the round. No time.

Understood in regards to the inappropriate thread to discuss the round.

It was a tough day out there, really windy. The course is exposed and it was hard to flight the ball. I went 38-39, 2 birds on 9 and 17 and a double on 2. I used my new putter and I love it. Had a really good putting day despite a couple of lip outs and leaving 2 just inches short.

Nice round. Did they burn the rough and has it grown back any?

Got to play with CAA_Beat today at RNK. Thanks Rob, had a great time. I intended on posting a bunch of photos on Twitter, but due to a corrupt app and spotty coverage, I was unable to do so. I did take photos though and will post them tomorrow.

It was a tough day out there, really windy. The course is exposed and it was hard to flight the ball. I went 38-39, 2 birds on 9 and 17 and a double on 2. I used my new putter and I love it. Had a really good putting day despite a couple of lip outs and leaving 2 just inches short.

My driver was on. I am really happy considering this is my second round with an entire new bag of club's and the first round with a new putter.

Dormant Bermuda fairways were a little disappointing, RNK used to overseed.

Rob is a great guy to play with for those who have not had the honor.

Very nice round! Get all that out of your system before July!

Nice round. Did they burn the rough and has it grown back any?
Thanks. A lot of the fescue was down. There were a few scorched areas. Most of the high stuff was out of play. It's not nearly as bad as it is in the summer. It looks like they want to keep it down. The really tall stuff that's usually in front of 3 green is shaved down. Don't know if they want to speed up play by keeping it down.

Understood in regards to the inappropriate thread to discuss the round.

Just wanted to caution you and everyone about this thread not being a catch all. This thread is really only seen by very few people regularly. The other threads mentioned get a lot more looks typically.

Just wanted to caution you and everyone about this thread not being a catch all. This thread is really only seen by very few people regularly. The other threads mentioned get a lot more looks typically.

You mean not everyone wants to know about everything I do... aww man.

So some thoughts on the course yesterday. First thanks to mesemann777 for setting up the tee time. It was truly a pleasure to play with him. Even though he's new to the forum and I hadn't had a lot of interaction with him, by the time we played a hole or two, it seemed like we had been playing together for years, pretty much the typical round with a THP'er lots of fun, laughter at bad shots, and complimenting of the good one. Glad I'm able to be a teammate of his, he's a great selection for the team, with that solid 77 in tough windy conditions and new sticks and a putter that he had just taken the wrapper off of the night before.

So on to the course. This is just a phenomenal course, that will be the perfect venue for a THP Team Event. It is Bermuda tee to green, and it was dormant which presented some challenges with some extremely tight lies in some of the fairways. But overall the condition was very good. A few holes they are doing some repair work on, but that looks like it'll be long past by July.

Some guys asked me/us to take notes to post. We didn't for two reasons, the pace was pretty fast. We weren't slow by any means, finishing in just over 4 hours, but we had a group behind us that was pushing us pretty hard, so we tried to take a few pics here and there.

the other reason for not taking notes, is this course will play so differently for many types of players. There is a lot of risk/reward holes that I didn't even think about trying, but longer hitters might not have a problem with. Also I would describe it as Very very fair off the tee, with generally a lot of room (or it could be that I was just driving the ball extremely straight :D) But to me the difficulty of the course comes in it's second shots. Almost every one is a forced carry of some sort, with either cavernous bunkers, or waste areas or streams in front of or around the green.

You've heard Captain T2GRN18 preach #own125 and short game. This course demands that. Even though the greens are huge, and by huge, I mean literally twice the size of most greens we are used to playing on here in he metro dc/Baltimore area. But with the difficulty and sometimes length of the second shots, I expect there to be a lot of missed greens, relying on that short game to get you up and down. Or in some cases on shorter holes where you have 120 yard approach, such as number 9, where Msemann777 owned 125 like his personal beatch on an approach from 120 there.

Another thing that will need work, is lag putting from 40, 50 even 90 feet. I'm not kidding some of these greens are 40 yards long, and if you miss on the opposite end you're looking at a daunting 2 putt.

I'll end by saying this, anyone that is seeing that course for the first time at 8:00 am on July 9th, is going to be in for a rude awakening and will have a tough time. I know it's not convenient for a lot of the guys to get to on a whim, but if nothing else if you are able to arrive on Friday for a practice round ahead of time, then by all means you owe it to yourself and your team to do so.

So some thoughts on the course yesterday. First thanks to mesemann777 for setting up the tee time. It was truly a pleasure to play with him. Even though he's new to the forum and I hadn't had a lot of interaction with him, by the time we played a hole or two, it seemed like we had been playing together for years, pretty much the typical round with a THP'er lots of fun, laughter at bad shots, and complimenting of the good one. Glad I'm able to be a teammate of his, he's a great selection for the team, with that solid 77 in tough windy conditions and new sticks and a putter that he had just taken the wrapper off of the night before.

So on to the course. This is just a phenomenal course, that will be the perfect venue for a THP Team Event. It is Bermuda tee to green, and it was dormant which presented some challenges with some extremely tight lies in some of the fairways. But overall the condition was very good. A few holes they are doing some repair work on, but that looks like it'll be long past by July.

Some guys asked me/us to take notes to post. We didn't for two reasons, the pace was pretty fast. We weren't slow by any means, finishing in just over 4 hours, but we had a group behind us that was pushing us pretty hard, so we tried to take a few pics here and there.

the other reason for not taking notes, is this course will play so differently for many types of players. There is a lot of risk/reward holes that I didn't even think about trying, but longer hitters might not have a problem with. Also I would describe it as Very very fair off the tee, with generally a lot of room (or it could be that I was just driving the ball extremely straight :D) But to me the difficulty of the course comes in it's second shots. Almost every one is a forced carry of some sort, with either cavernous bunkers, or waste areas or streams in front of or around the green.

You've heard Captain T2GRN18 preach #own125 and short game. This course demands that. Even though the greens are huge, and by huge, I mean literally twice the size of most greens we are used to playing on here in he metro dc/Baltimore area. But with the difficulty and sometimes length of the second shots, I expect there to be a lot of missed greens, relying on that short game to get you up and down. Or in some cases on shorter holes where you have 120 yard approach, such as number 9, where Msemann777 owned 125 like his personal beatch on an approach from 120 there.

Another thing that will need work, is lag putting from 40, 50 even 90 feet. I'm not kidding some of these greens are 40 yards long, and if you miss on the opposite end you're looking at a daunting 2 putt.

I'll end by saying this, anyone that is seeing that course for the first time at 8:00 am on July 9th, is going to be in for a rude awakening and will have a tough time. I know it's not convenient for a lot of the guys to get to on a whim, but if nothing else if you are able to arrive on Friday for a practice round ahead of time, then by all means you owe it to yourself and your team to do so.
Definitely need a couple of practice rounds there. Maybe a mini team trip???

Definitely need a couple of practice rounds there. Maybe a mini team trip???
I told T2GRN18, that' I'm up for one more trip down before the event. I know it'll be hard to coordinate everyone's schedule, but I'd definitely like to see it in when the Bermuda has come in and it's playing a bit different than yesterday.

I told T2GRN18, that' I'm up for one more trip down before the event. I know it'll be hard to coordinate everyone's schedule, but I'd definitely like to see it in when the Bermuda has come in and it's playing a bit different than yesterday.
Sounds good to me, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

In this regard, some members of Team DMV have an advantage given their proximity. Therefore, Team Carolina really needs to make it a priority to get up there ahead of time (maybe a month or so prior to the event) to play a round there. I also plan on getting their early enough on Friday - as Rob suggested - to get in a second round prior to the Rivalry.

Hey CAA_Beat, Thanks so much for the kind words. The feeling is 100% mutual. Your a classy gent and I look forward to many more rounds together.

Your description of the course is fantastic! You should write reviews more often.

Also, lets not forget that tidy little tee shot you hit to 6 feet on #12. That's owning it from 150. Nice shot.

To reiterate what Rob said about green size and lag putting, these greens are Hugh. #10 green plays like 2 separate greens. 2 tiers with a 5-6 foot swale separating the levels. The green is bigger than my back yard. Takes #own125 to a new level.

This is your King!

I will be playing a round at RNK this Spring. Not sure of the details yet but it will be happening and I can't wait to do a little scouting for Team DMV

I don't know that I will get a scouting trip before the match, but I'm planning on playing that Friday before.

I don't know that I will get a scouting trip before the match, but I'm planning on playing that Friday before.
On that note, another thing I forgot to mention.

I would encourage everyone if possible to have a GPS device of some sort. While Laser's are good, and I use one a lot. There are so many shots that are blind, uphill, over mounds, around corners, etc that many times the laser won't be enough. I had GolfLogix yesterday and used it more than my laser due to the above.

I would love to get up there for a practice round but I know how feasible that is for me. It all comes down to being able to make shots in the end. Knowing the course will definitely help, but I've shot good rounds on tough courses on seeing them for the first time and bad scores on courses I know inside and out.

There are so many shots that are blind, uphill, over mounds, around corners, etc that many times the laser won't be enough.

Sounds like my kind of course. Mike Strantz was one heck of a designer.

My goal is to give golfers the opportunity to experience such exhilaration on each and every hole by creating dramatic and imaginative designs. When a course does not force players to think, the game becomes dull and monotonous�a walk in a well-landscaped park.

I would love to get up there for a practice round but I know how feasible that is for me. It all comes down to being able to make shots in the end. Knowing the course will definitely help, but I've shot good rounds on tough courses on seeing them for the first time and bad scores on courses I know inside and out.
That's so true John, the first time I ever played Tobacco Road, I shot one of the best scores I had all year, I had no idea of where you were "supposed" to hit it, so I just went for straight and toward the green. Then we played it on the way out of Pinehurst 4 days later. I thought, ok now I know this course, I'll do even better. Nope!! Thinking about where I was supposed to hit led to a round 14 shots higher...LOL

Sounds like my kind of course. Mike Strantz was one heck of a designer.

I love his courses, see above about Tobacco Road.

Throwing it out again for any DMV guys that want to play Musket Ridge tomorrow with the capt and myself, around 1030. I will make the tee time later tonight around 8ish

I'm in!

Back